1. City and State Required for ALL Ads – You have two options: add your City and State in your profile (City and Province for Canada, other countries…we’ll just wing it), or you must put it in the ad itself. You may then delete your location in the ad once the item has sold.
2. Ad Titles & Terminology – Please be as descriptive as possible in the TITLE of the ad. Your ad titles need to state FOR SALE/FS, WANTED/WTB, FREE or TRADE/WTT. To make this easier, we have added a drop-down menu where you can choose the appropriate abbreviations. This is located next to the Title: box.
Restored means returned to stock/like new status. There ARE people looking for stock/restored early Foxes. Please don't waste their time by saying your car is "restored" in an ad title only for them to discover that hardly a part on it is stock. Modified, show quality, restomod, etc. is what you've got unless it's an actual restoration.
3. Only the following vehicles may be listed FOR SALE/WTB on this site:
- 1978-1983 Fairmont
- 1978-1983 Zephyr
- 1979-1986 Mustang (including SVO)
- 1979-1986 Capri
- 1980-1988 Thunderbird
- 1980-1988 Cougar
- 1981-1982 Granada
- 1982-1987 Continental
- 1983-1986 LTD
- 1983-1986 Marquis
- 1984-1992 Mark VII
The only exceptions for non-FEP vehicles are the 1979 Ford "Pace Truck" and the 1984-1989 Merkur XR4Ti.
4. Posting a CAR FOR SALE (whole or roller) – The following is required:
- Location of vehicle in ad
- FS/For Sale in ad title (you can choose the FS: Prefix in the drop-down menu next to the thread title box).
- ASKING PRICE OF VEHICLE. Sellers playing games has gotten out of hand. Put an asking price. Haggling is fine, guessing games are not.
- There is no minimum post requirement to sell a car. We want these cars to have every opportunity to find a good home. You are encouraged to be as descriptive as possible in the body of the ad and to use the album upload features as outlined here: to post pics.
- This forum is NOT for parting out cars. Threatening to part out cars or mentioning the option to part out a car is not acceptable and all references to parting out in this forum will be removed immediately and without warning.
- When selling a car, please put Model Year, Trim Level (GT/RS/Ghia/etc.), body style, interior and exterior colors, transmission type, etc. in the main body of your ad. The more details, the better.
- Pictures, and GOOD pictures at that, are STRONGLY encouraged.
5. Posting a CAR WANTED ad – No requirements other than #s 1, 2, & 3. Give your location and be descriptive about what you want (years, colors, transmission, price range, distance from your location, etc.). There is no minimum post requirement to post a wanted ad.
6. Posting a vehicle to TRADE - Vehicles not within the scope of this site must be offered for TRADE for the cars listed above, not listed "For Sale or Trade..." or offered in trade for other items/cars. Please, no veiled attempts at selling other makes/models of cars. There is no minimum post requirement to post a car for trade.
7. Civility is a must - If you want to haggle with someone on price, do it politely. If you want to tell them how completely off-base you believe their prices are, PM them. If you have questions on why an ad was locked, look over the rules. If the rules don't cover something you have questions on, PM a moderator or administrator. If your ad was locked, it is not a vast conspiracy against your existence. Remember, after all, it's just the Internet.
8. Asking about buying parts from a car advertised or suggesting parting of the car - Any replies asking if the car will be parted out, or if the seller would consider selling parts, etc. will be removed immediately and without warning. If you're looking for parts, post a Parts -Wanted ad.
9. Don't bother making "The Threat" - What's The Threat? "Buy my car or I'm parting it out/scrapping it/putting it in a demo derby/aeronosing it/etc." Basically any statement made to stir up emotional reactions in hopes of either starting trouble or goading someone into buying the car. We've seen it too many times. It doesn't work, and all it does is turn people away.
When a staff member finds The Threat made in an ad the first time, the threat will be removed WITHOUT PRIOR WARNING. A PM will be sent to you notifying you that your Threat was removed. If a new ad containing The Threat is found to be made after a previous ad having had The Threat removed, that ad will be removed immediately. Also, be aware that making The Threat will likely result in site staff heavily scrutinizing any subsequent parts for sale ads made by users posting The Threat.
10. Make your ad readable, for crying out loud. Just like the turn signals on a car, using the SHIFT, ENTER, comma and period keys won't cost you anything. Don't make a huge block of run-on text about your car and expect people to read it.
If you want top dollar for your car, run a spell check, proofread, and make paragraphs. We even have nifty numbered or bulleted list options available in the message editor. Presentation IS everything when advertising a car.
Right or wrong, if your ad is a sloppy mess and your pictures are either nonexistent or of exceptionally low-quality, people may well think that this lack of attention to detail has influenced the condition of the car. A little effort can go a long way in an ad.
(Existing car for sale ads posted prior to this rule update are grandfathered in, meaning no price is required, but it is still strongly encouraged.)