Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Caravan to Fox-a-que from tristate area?

Anyone interested in gettting a caravan of 4i's (or other vehicles attending) to head up to long island for the Fox-a-que please let me know. I will be heading up from the philly/allentown area of Pa with another member. I will be in my DD as kind of a chase vehicle in case anyone has car troubles (my 4i is not road worthy yet). Just post up here if interested and we can try and figure out a good meeting spot. Figure anyone from Pa, Ohio (depending on route), NJ, Maryland, Delaware might be able to eventually meet up along the drive. We are leaving early saturday morning, looking like 4 to 5 AM.
    --86 GT vert.306,Powerdyne blown 7 psi, E303, ported E7s,MAF conv, BBK shorties n OR H, 3" Mac Pro Dumps, WC T5, 5 lug'd, 17" Bullitts, 3" cowlhood, SN95 Gt front brakes, 4.11s.
    --Bill

Default NJ going here

NJ going here. Willing to meet up and drive with you guys on the way. Right near the GWB and hopefully 30 minutes from the BBQ

Don

Quote Originally Posted by mustangsvo View Post
    NJ going here. Willing to meet up and drive with you guys on the way. Right near the GWB and hopefully 30 minutes from the BBQ

Don
    Don, Greg is handling the route mapping for our trip as he knows the way. Looks like we will be coming over into Jersey near exit 6 of the NJ TP and Greg says we can meet people heading north from south Jersey, Maryland, Deleware at a rest stop near exit 7A. Then we will be heading North to exit 13(i believe). Does this help for meeting up with you? Greg will be posting up a more definate route early next week(mon or tues).
    --86 GT vert.306,Powerdyne blown 7 psi, E303, ported E7s,MAF conv, BBK shorties n OR H, 3" Mac Pro Dumps, WC T5, 5 lug'd, 17" Bullitts, 3" cowlhood, SN95 Gt front brakes, 4.11s.
    --Bill

OK I drive a tractor trailer for a living and have traveled to NY/Long Island many times in my truck so hopefully I can navigate the trip in a car.

My general plan was this. The plan was to take the PA Turnpike eastbound into NJ via the NJTPK. Then take the NJTPK north to exit 13. Then I take Rt 278 east over the Goethals bridge into Staten Island. I stay on 278 crossing Staten Island and cross over the Verazano bridge into Brooklyn. Now in my truck I have to stay on Rt 278 (also known as the BQE) up through Brooklyn to Rt 495 East to get onto Long Island (also known as the LIE) due to bridge height restrictions. Frankly guys NY sucks ass for tractor trailer drivers.

Obviously cars aren't subject to bridge height restrictions so it appears that those of us going up in cars can cross over the Verazano bridge and hop right onto the Belt Parkway traveling across the lower part of Brooklyn into the lower part of Long Island. From there it appears we follow the Belt Parkway until we get to rt 135 (I think I looked a few days ago) and follow that almost directly to the park. Obviously native NY'ers are free to chime in.

All that being said guys from DE, MD, and points south can follow I-95 north through Wilmington to the Delaware Memorial Bridge...crossing the DM bridge into NJ will allow them to hop right onto the NJ TPK northbound. The NJ TPK meets the PA TPK at exit 6. After exit 6 is exit 7 then exit 7A. Right around exit 7A is a rest stop. We could always arrange for all the PA guys and the more southern guys to meet at that rest stop at a certain time and then we could all travel the rest of the way as a caravan.

Anyone wanting to do this can email me directly at gmw468@yahoo.com or PM me for my cell phone #.

I am NOT saying that anyone HAS to follow this route. I just know that for me it's the most direct easiest way to go. As a truck driver I know a lot of the routes and can always take another route but this way is basically all highway and should HOPEFULLY be the easiest.
    Last edited by Super-G; 07-03-2011 at 09:53 AM.
    Greg

95 Bronco 4WD 5.0, auto, 3:55 rear- daily driver

86 Mustang GT T-tops 5.0, 5 speed, 3:27 gears

68 Firebird 400, ported 6X heads, 068 cam, Muncie 4-speed, 3:55 gears

Quote Originally Posted by gw468 View Post
    OK I drive a tractor trailer for a living and have traveled to NY/Long Island many times in my truck so hopefully I can navigate the trip in a car.

My general plan was this. The plan was to take the PA Turnpike eastbound into NJ via the NJTPK. Then take the NJTPK north to exit 13. Then I take Rt 278 east over the Goethals bridge into Staten Island. I stay on 278 crossing Staten Island and cross over the Verazano bridge into Brooklyn. Now in my truck I have to stay on Rt 278 (also known as the BQE) up to Rt 495 East to get onto Long Island (also known as the LIE) due to bridge height restrictions. Frankly guys NY sucks ass for tractor trailer drivers.

Obviously cars aren't subject to bridge height restrictions so it appears that those of us going up in cars can cross over the Verazano bridge and hop right onto the Belt Parkway traveling across the lower part of Brooklyn into the lower part of Long Island. From there it appears we follow the Belt Parkway until we get to rt 135 (I think I looked a few days ago) and follow that almost directly to the park. Obviously native NY'ers are free to chime in.

All that being said guys from DE, MD, and points south can follow I-95 north through Wilmington to the Delaware Memorial Bridge...crossing the DM bridge into NJ will allow them to hop right onto the NJ TPK northbound. The NJ TPK meets the PA TPK at exit 6. After exit 6 is exit 7 then exit 7A. Right around exit 7A is a rest stop. We could always arrange for all the PA guys and the more southern guys to meet at that rest stop at a certain time and then we could all travel the rest of the way as a caravan.

Anyone wanting to do this can email me directly at gmw468@yahoo.com or PM me for my cell phone #.

I am NOT saying that anyone HAS to follow this route. I just know that for me it's the most direct easiest way to go. As a truck driver I know a lot of the routes and can always take another route but this way is basically all highway and should HOPEFULLY be the easiest.
    Very good plan Greg.

The Belt Parkway turns into the Cross Island Parkway, then there the exit for the Southern State Parkway (SSP), of which continue taking that east until 135 (Seaford-Oyster Bay Expressway).

Official FOX-A-QUE Threads
    : 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009

where would we all meet up?
    <Dayne>
    1985 Monte Carlo SS 5.7
    1993 Civic Coupe JDM B16A1
    1982 Mustang GT 5.0
    1980 Mustang Notchback 5.0
    1993 Civic SI D16Z6
    1991 Camaro RS 3.1
    1978 Honda Accord CVCC 1.6
    1983 Camaro Berlinetta 2.8
    1981 Mustang Notchback ...Engineless...again

so how far is this form our area of PA Greg? I would love to cruise up but always doubt my car and my free time lacks.

Quote Originally Posted by 86fiveoh View Post
    so how far is this form our area of PA Greg? I would love to cruise up but always doubt my car and my free time lacks.
    Andy,

I plan on leaving very early Saturday morning. Say around 4:00-5:00 AM. At that time of the morning on a Saturday, I really don't expect much traffic. I think that if we did it in a straight shot it would take about 2 to 2-1/2 hours. That being said if everything works out I can see a 45 minute to an hour delay at the exit 7A rest stop, while we wait for everyone to show up, possibly fuel up, and wait for everyone to take a wizz. I can also see the possibility of another stop somewhere in NY pending bathroom breaks, and possible fuel ups again.

On top of that, Bill (Magnum517) is an ASE certified mechanic and he's gonna be running up with us and bringing a bunch of tools and supplies like anti freeze and a booster pack for trouble batteries, ect.

For you it would be an easy, mostly highway, shot. Straight up Rt 202 to the PA TPK, then east into Jersey. I will be getting on the TPK at either the Ambler exit (Rt 309) or the Willow Grove exit (Rt 611). I'd be glad to meet you at the TPK entrance and we could cruise together.

I can't see any reason why your car wouldn't make that trip.
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by 80Notch View Post
    where would we all meet up?
    Dayne, right now I'm waiting to hear how many people are cruising up from our area. I'm kind of hoping that the PA people heading east into NJ then north towards NY could meet the other guys at the exit 7A rest stop right where Rt 195 hits the NJTPK. for you in Ewing that's very close. If I'm correct you're pretty close to where Rt 1 meets Rt 295. You could take Rt 295 south to 195east to the NJTPK.

As far as I know right now the only definites are myself and Bill (Magnum517). So far I haven't heard from anyone else.
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by gw468 View Post
    Andy,

I plan on leaving very early Saturday morning. Say around 4:00-5:00 AM. At that time of the morning on a Saturday, I really don't expect much traffic. I think that if we did it in a straight shot it would take about 2 to 2-1/2 hours. That being said if everything works out I can see a 45 minute to an hour delay at the exit 7A rest stop, while we wait for everyone to show up, possibly fuel up, and wait for everyone to take a wizz. I can also see the possibility of another stop somewhere in NY pending bathroom breaks, and possible fuel ups again.

On top of that, Bill (Magnum517) is an ASE certified mechanic and he's gonna be running up with us and bringing a bunch of tools and supplies like anti freeze and a booster pack for trouble batteries, ect.

For you it would be an easy, mostly highway, shot. Straight up Rt 202 to the PA TPK, then east into Jersey. I will be getting on the TPK at either the Ambler exit (Rt 309) or the Willow Grove exit (Rt 611). I'd be glad to meet you at the TPK entrance and we could cruise together.

I can't see any reason why your car wouldn't make that trip.
    Greg it took me 1:45 from the Doylestown exit on the PA turnpike to my house which is the same exit as the BBQ,it's not a long ride at all. As long as you guys are on the Belt by 9am you will be free of traffic so you don't have to leave at 4-5am. Once you guys get onto the Belt I personally won't stop anywhere for bathroom breaks or anything until you get out near the BBQ area. They are doing construction on the Belt parkway so make sure you guys take it easy as the lanes are tight in spots. If any of you guys get lost,need to stop somewhere or anything else shoot me a PM before the BBQ and I'll give you my number. I know every road in NYC like the back of my hand.

Quote Originally Posted by EVIL8286 View Post
    Greg it took me 1:45 from the Doylestown exit on the PA turnpike to my house which is the same exit as the BBQ,it's not a long ride at all. As long as you guys are on the Belt by 9am you will be free of traffic so you don't have to leave at 4-5am. Once you guys get onto the Belt I personally won't stop anywhere for bathroom breaks or anything until you get out near the BBQ area. They are doing construction on the Belt parkway so make sure you guys take it easy as the lanes are tight in spots. If any of you guys get lost,need to stop somewhere or anything else shoot me a PM before the BBQ and I'll give you my number. I know every road in NYC like the back of my hand.
    OK great. I'm so used to traveling in NY with a tractor trailer that I forget how much time you can save driving a car. Also I've never been on the Belt as trucks are not allowed. So I wasn't sure what our time frame would be.

Right now with less than 2 weeks to go, the only guys I know of that are definitely taking this ride together are Bill and myself. If it ends up just being the 2 of us, then obviously I will leave a little later.

As Bill said, I'm hoping we can get some other members to meet up/join in so we can have a nice caravan of 4 eyed Mustangs cruising up together.
    Greg

Guys I left at 7am last year and it took me 2 hours on the nose to get to the park...NO traffic...

I believe this was the route we took...

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=31...oQ&mra=ls&z=10

Ed and Joe made fun of me for the route I took but that's what Google Maps said and I can't complain - it was a decent ride...

Coming home took 3 hours but we were farther out since we cruised to the beach, had to stop for gas, and there was a bit of traffic...all things considered it wasn't bad either...

I am definately going and definately bringing tools, oil, anti, booster pack/air compressor, some small parts, ect. I dont plan on any break downs but want to be prepared just in case. I will be glad to help anyone out who breaks down, as I know how bad it stinks when it happens. Hope this eases some minds and encourages some more to bring their cars.
    --Bill

OK made a run up the Jersey turnpike today.

There is a rest stop in between Exit 7 and 7A. There is another one in between exit 8A and 9.

My game plan was to meet at the exit in between 7 and 7A. This will allow any southern guys from say Maryland and Delaware to stop on possibly fuel up before making the final run to NY.

But like I said, nobody else seems to have jumped onboard. If no one else is running up I'm just gonna make it in one straight shot.

Anyone?
    Greg

Cool, thats one definate. And I know Jake is planning on joining us w 2 of his buddies but havent heard for sure yet.
    --Bill

Id love too, but just think Ill be able to get it together to go, money and time wise.

FEP Senior Member

Im not making it this year guys, as much as I would love to, the 85 needs a right inner tie rod end and intake gaskets. My wagon is tying up my work spot at the time being as im dropping the 408 in.

If I can figure a way to not have to lug the family along, Im gonna try to make this. Bringing everyone just quadrupals the costs of things

Im down for the cruise but im coming from north jersey so i will take 80east to GWB so if u guys can find away so we can meet let me know....
    1993 Mustang GT ,393w TKO600 .

2015 Ford F150 FX4 3.5L Ecoboost.

I am in!! PMed Greg already! I hope we have some more!
    Rob

current cars:
    83 GT Convertible
    83 Project GT T-Top Coupe
    84 GT T-Top Hatch
    86 GT Hatch low mile car
    00 V-6 Convertible

all white cars!

Quote Originally Posted by 86fiveoh View Post
    If I can figure a way to not have to lug the family along, Im gonna try to make this. Bringing everyone just quadrupals the costs of things
    Andy, I'm going by myself. My son likes cars but he's only 5 and he won't last all day. My wife supports my car hobby but there's no way she's going to stand there and listen to me talk cars all day. She has actually said she and her mom might take the kids down the shore for the weekend since I won't be around.

It would be great to have you along. You really NEED to show the guys your ride.

I'm looking to go up and talk cars ALL FRIGGING DAY long and then share a few beers with the guys. I have absolutely no problem sleeping in my car and crusing home Sunday morning. If I drink I HAVE to stay or sleep somewhere. I have my CDL and cannot mess with drinking and driving.
    Greg

Ok, Im working on the wife. She said if I give her money to take the kids to hershey park, I can go (sucks getting permission lol).

OK guys we have one week to go. We should probably start talking about who's in, who's out, meeting places and times.

Based entirely on traffic concerns and the fact that we're running blind it might benefit us to be crossing over the Verrazano into Brooklyn no later than say 7:00 or 7:30 AM. As I've said I've run into NY in a tractor trailer and for me it seems like NY is a traffic nightmare no matter what day or what time I go up there.

From my house in PA to the Exit 7A rest stop is a hair over an hour. At the rest stop I'm figuring some guys may want to fuel up and take a piss so I'm thinking we'll be there about a half hour to 45 minutes waiting for everyone to show up, fuel up, and pee.

Then from there to the Verazano should only be about an hour. Unless traffic on Staten Island is bad. Again, I'm hoping that on Saturday morning at that early hour it won't be too bad.

As of right now, I'm kind of thinking of leaving my house at say 5:00 AM, arriving at the rest stop at say 6-ish and hopefully leaving the rest stop at say 6:30-ish. That would hopefully have us crossing the Verrazano at say 7:30.

So who's in, who's out, who needs to the week to battle with their wife..HA HA?

It will be easier if we have a list of guys and we can all exchange cell #'s so that nobody gets left behind. NY can be intimidating if you've never been there before. I actually believe it was less stressfull fighting the Republican Guard during Desert Storm than traveling in NY with a tractor trailer.

So if you can, please PM me or post on here your intentions. I'm hoping to make this as smooth as possible.
    Greg

Guys I went this route last year and will be doing it again this year. I left at 7am and got to the park at a hair after 9am w/o stopping - no traffic it was great...

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=31...ra=ls&t=h&z=10

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast