Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default The racing and restoration of 86-#025 begins...

Well, I bought her for $3800 two weeks ago, and after assessing the greenness of it all, I decided to start with about the only non-green exterior component, the original Hayashi racing 15" wheels... Got lucky and used my connections at the wheel refinishing place and got all 4 done for $260, plus scored the Gatorbacks off Ebay for $50. Total investment so far: $3800 + $200 (gas home) + $310 (wheels/tires) = $4310...
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by tomswheels; 04-29-2012 at 01:11 AM.

FEP Power Member

Glad to see that this car has found a home. What are your plans ??

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

I'm glad to see somebody bought this. Wasn't the PO asking like seven grand though?

Well, he got beat up on a couple Ebay auctions, didnt meet reserve at about $2700. I had been talking with him for about a month, and he had decided if he couldnt get $4k he was donating it to the local high school... I decided to pony up an extra grand and we settled at $3800... I probably overpaid, but it was a decision to save this car, despite the cost. It is rust free, and has its original interior, 15" Hayashis, and Bilstien shocks... My tenative plan is to go through the drivetrain and suspension, refreshing but staying stock whenever possible, then doing a little NASA time trials road racing, having a little fun with her in her current green state for as long as I can stomach it. I'll collect parts as I can for the cosmetics, then tackle the full resto back to original red in the next couple years...

Has the door sticker been painted over? Is the buck tag still on the car?

Door sticker intact, what's a Buck tag?

very cool, now there are 2 shlockalas on the board. mine as well. yours might be nicer than mine? the green is hard to swallow. but if body is clean. what the heck. is yours lx or gt? was it red when new?
    Last edited by PIGBOY; 06-25-2011 at 07:55 PM.
    HARVESTER OF EYES

DAMN IT! LET THE RABBITS WEAR GLASSES, SAID THE CRIES OF THE CARROT.
    YOU SHOULD NEVER SMOKE IN PAJAMAS, YOU COULD CATCH ON FIRE AND BURN YOUR FACE.

Yes, red when new, just like #24 and #26. Mine supposedly had the 85 body kit (long gone) and was a lx. I saw your post and thought yours might have been a better starting point, I've got ALOT of green paint removal ahead of me...

Default BOTH ARE RUFF ?

mine was missing silver hyashi wheels.

but i did grab a set of 15 inch dyna lite wheels 3 piece so they will do pig.

am also thinking of 86 injection with bbk instacharger setup for oddness.
    HARVESTER OF EYES

Can you post the door tag?

"Buck Tag" is a 1¾" x 3½" aluminum tag screwed to the frame that supports the radiator. The tag is between the hood latch assembly and the driver-side headlamps.

Adding that injection sounds like lots of work, I read your story of the trip from hell, other than the leaks, hows it run? I will post the door tag as soon as I get a pic, and I'll look for the buck...

Glad to see this went to someone who will return it to its former glory. Keep us updated on your progress!
    Steve
    "Taillights in Your Face Jack? You've just been Dominated!"
    # Link to Facebook Dominator Mustang Fans # # Link to Facebook Predator Mustang Fans #
    # Link to Facebook Twister Mustang Fans #
    Current Stangs: Stangless
    Previously owned:
    84 Black GT, 85 Black T-Top Dominator GT # Link to Restoration Thread # 85 Dominator GT RIP 1995, 85 Predator GT, 83 Dominator GT, 82 Mustang GT

car runs very good. am doing a ground up on a t top coupe right now, not all original as car was just a 6 cyl manual. and just finishing up my 79 cobra med. red car red interior, not a ground up. just a clean car. then saleen gets its ass waxed to kick buttness, am trying to make up my mind on how i want saleen to look. tossing around a couple versions, both for the better in my mind although it was way cool all original. am seroiusly thinking of laying some parts for mustangs and capris as there is a severe lacking of nice pieces out there. all glass am not going to bother trying to get into urethane manufacturing process or costs.
    Last edited by PIGBOY; 06-26-2011 at 12:45 AM.
    HARVESTER OF EYES

Default DYNA LITES

the guy i bought the dyna lites from said when he had the center caps he was certain they had an saleen emblem on them, but he left them at an ex gals house and never got them back
    HARVESTER OF EYES

Quote Originally Posted by PIGBOY View Post
    the guy i bought the dyna lites from said when he had the center caps he was certain they had an saleen emblem on them, but he left them at an ex gals house and never got them back
    I would've asked for her ##!
    1984 1/2 GT 350

i did 36-26-36 is that good?
    HARVESTER OF EYES

Glad to see this monster finally found a home. Yea, the price is a little stout for just a vin, but it does deserve to be brought back to life.

Your plans for her sound cool. But you're gonna have some issues with the brakes open tracking it. Stockish HP levels should be OK at a lot of tracks, but the 10" rotors and drums in the back are a few hard stops from fading. That would be the major area of concern, #2 is the floppy unibody. In TT a cage is not required, but recommended. I would at least do a 4 point. Once you get sticky tires, some brakes, a little power, and a stiff chassis, you'll quicky see that the suspension and bushings are not up for it. So those will need to be upgraded too.

My 86 at my 1st HPDE event:
    85 SVO
    94 GT CMC#71
    65 Fastback

Wow, great info, I'd love to avoid a cage since I'm trying to take it back to stock someday, would subframe connectors help? Do you have specific brands that you recommend for the brakes and suspension? Are you still racing yours?

I actualy sold 86-0097 to build:

Now, I'm selling 89-0132 to build:

Can you say 'Daja Vu'? lol #71 v1.0 raced its last race in May 2011 due to an unfortunate incident. V2.0 (the 94) is undergoing the transplant now. I could not wheel-to-wheel race a rare car like a Saleen. TT is a little different since you race against time, W2W is a lot of fun, but when the green flag drops all hell breaks loose because you have 15-30 cars that all drop the hammer and everyone want to be the 1st car out of turn #1. So it's just semi-controlled chaos, but bumps and bruises are pretty normal. In TT you don't see many incidents of car contact at all.

What I would recommend is a set of 11" 87-93 rotors with SVO 73mm calipers in the front, TC rear end with the disks. That way you can keep it 4 lug, although I'm not 100% sure the front calipers will clear the 15" Hayashi wheels. But, it will be 4 lug for the looks. You could also get a set of 4 lug 16" mesh wheels and put some sticky tires on them for just track use. The TC rear has a different offset then the drum rear, so you may need to do a little searching on how to fix that. I beleive you can use your stock axles and somehow re-bracket the calipers. That way you can keep the 4 lug setup, and have some competent brakes. There will also need to be some modification to the MC and PV.

As far as suspension, subframes would be a great addition. I have not tracked a car with subs, but it has to be a huge improvement. I would opt for the 'ladder style' for additional support. IIRC the Saleens had specific rate Racecraft springs around 700lb fronts and 250ish rears. That will probably work fine, you could opt for some H&R race springs, they are a progressive 950 and should be streetable too. They worked very well on my 89. Shocks are a crapshoot, but I'd go with a set of Tokico Illuminas. They are relatively cheap and I have heard some good feedback from the open track guys that have used them. Check www.hotpart.com for some good suspension/brake upgrades as well as MM.
    85 SVO
    94 GT CMC#71
    65 Fastback

Great info, thanks! I stumbled on to a 5 lug conversion at the pick-a-part today, so I grabbed the front spindles with an 11 inch disc for $30 for the pair. I may grab an explorer complete rear w/dics to go with it, do the 5 lug thing for a while, then go back when Im done racing it... Here is the door tag.

Im glad someone saved this car. i would have paid 3800 for that car if I was down there in cali. Nice. Keep the pics coming.
    Stan
    1986 Ford Mustang Saleen #80 Gray/gray
    1986 Mercury Capri ASC McLaren Coupe#20 Black/silver, gone.
    1985 GT Silver/gray T-top car, gone
    1985 Canyon Red Turbo coupe, gone

Thanks for posting the VC Label.

86-0025 has the same DSO as 86-0021 and both are within a batch of 25 consecutive P28M (Mustang hatchbacks 5.0L) VINs...

167021 through 167045

I'm wondering if 86-007 through 86-0031 are those 25?
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Thanks for posting the VC Label.

86-0025 has the same DSO as 86-0021 and both are within a batch of 25 consecutive P28M (Mustang hatchbacks 5.0L) VINs...

167021 through 167045

I'm wondering if 86-007 through 86-0031 are those 25?
    86-26 is one of those, ending in 033.
    - 1965 Mustang Conv. A-Code 4 spd.
    - 1966 Mustang Conv. 4 spd
    - 1969 Mustang Mach 1 - M Code
    - 1986 Saleen Mustang #26 (Saugus Speedway Pacecar)
    - 2005 Mustang GT S197
    - 1957 Ford Thunderbird Dusk Rose

* Current

Same DSO (710004)? Also radio delete?

Can you tell me what the door tag says as far as how this car was optioned? Here are some pics from the previous owner
    Last edited by tomswheels; 06-27-2011 at 10:07 AM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast