Close

FEP Power Member

Default Number of 84 comp preps

I just got the informtion on how many 84 comp preps were built

Total of 26

I have been trying to find this out for years and I just got it from Kevin Marti of Marti Auto Works.

Mike Croke

Interesting. I wonder how many have claimed to be comp prep over the years?

How would someone verify that a car was originally a comp prep?

FEP Power Member

Best way is to contact Marti Auto works and it only cost $15 for a standard report that will verify it.
    Kendal

Kendal, Thanks for posting. That is some information that has been asked for many years.
    `82 Mercury Capri 5.0 4.speed / not RS
    `86 Mercury Capri

Very interesting because I passed up one being for sale. Dang it
    "Never Trust a Bunny!"

The Great Sir Twitch

MERCURYS is what I'm bout. MERCURY CrAzY

Kendal, can you explain for the rest of us that do not know the difference between an "option delete" and a "comp prep" and when each was available, and what was included (or deleted) with each? Many people confuse one with the other or might think they're the same.

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Kendal, can you explain for the rest of us that do not know the difference between an "option delete" and a "comp prep" and when each was available, and what was included (or deleted) with each? Many people confuse one with the other or might think they're the same.
    Ford was having trouble selling the svo's because of the very high price. Feb 28th of 84 they made most of the options standard (Power windows, door locks, amfm cassette air conditioning,). They had a $1253 price drop by making these standard. Before this you could order a svo with options any way you wanted. I have a early non air car with power windows and door locks for example. After Feb 28th to help with the showroom stock racing they created the competition prep option which deleted the standard items (air conditioning, pw, pdl). They kept the radio because of the switches in the console. It had a premiunm sound switch. I bought one new in 84 (not comp prep) and the first sticker was $17200, by the time I bought it later the new sticker was $16000. The comp prep option price drop of $1253 for the lack of standard options lowered the price that much more. The later 85-86 comp preps got $1451 off because the radio was deleted then. Some of the early svo race cars like the Mac Tools car was orderd without the options and raced but not a comp prep but most likely was the reason for creating the comp prep option. I am including a pic of my 84 sticker so you can see the introductory offer that took off the $1253. My car was built in Nov 83 and I bought it in June of 84. It sat on the lot that long. I also included a 84 comp prep eminger report.
    Last edited by KCoker; 11-13-2011 at 07:52 PM.
    Kendal

Quote Originally Posted by KCoker View Post
    I just got the informtion on how many 84 comp preps were built

Total of 26

I have been trying to find this out for years and I just got it from Kevin Marti of Marti Auto Works.

Thanks Kendal
    2007 SL55 - Capri Blue - Leather, 487/560 WHP/WTQ at 13.5PSI

FEP Power Member

It was on one of my Deluxe reports under Statistics. I have done several reports on cars that I thoght were comp preps. It came back on one of them. Not my car so I didnt post the vin.
    Last edited by KCoker; 06-24-2011 at 10:45 PM.
    Kendal

Could a Comp Prep package come with the (standard before Mar 1) AM/FM stereo radio (no cassette) or was the AM/FM stereo radio with cassette required? The premium sound system was available with either of those radios in the other models/trim levels, it just couldn't be ordered with the AM radio.

I guess "option delete" is really a misnomer. Options are not deleted, they're just not ordered. For something to be deletable it must really be standard equipment. But I do understand that the term option delete is used to describe SVOs with missing options that were built before the Comp Prep package was available.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

FEP Power Member

You could get a amfm no cassette radio up to Feb 28th. After that it would be a comp prep that would have the (4) for amfm no cassette. I have yet to find a 84 comp prep with a amfm cassette. I do have a pic of one with a factory cassette player but the door sticker has 4 on it.

Yep the term option delete should discribe the comp prep instead of the ealy cars that just did not have the options to begin with.
    Kendal

So after Feb 28 the standard radio in 'regular' (non-Comp Prep) '84 SVOS got upgraded from AM/FM stereo (code 4) to AM/FM stereo w/ auto-reverse cassette (code 8)?

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    So after Feb 28 the standard radio in 'regular' (non-Comp Prep) '84 SVOS got upgraded from AM/FM stereo (code 4) to AM/FM stereo w/ auto-reverse cassette (code ?
    Yes the cassette became standard.
    Kendal

Quote Originally Posted by KCoker View Post
    Yes the cassette became standard.
    Hello Kendal. I have sent you a pm.
    `82 Mercury Capri 5.0 4.speed / not RS
    `86 Mercury Capri