Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default 1983 Dominator Gt Restoration and Updating..

As many of you have probably read my post's I decided it was a build thread time..

I have a 83 Dominator T-Top Car.. It needs some tlc and some updating to restore it to its former glory...

When I bough the car it had Sun pro Oil Pressure , Water Temp gauge that were rigged in the car and held together with electrical tape the stock sensors on the wiring harness had been cut and removed, the information center wasn't working, The drivers side quarter glass is broken out, the seats in the car are trashed and the back part of the drivers side floor board needs replaced along with the rear quarter where the rear tire kicks up water.. Not to mention the motor mounts are worn out in the car..

I got the car running and changed plugs i put Autolite 24's in it, giving it a little bit colder of a plug, changed the oil put Mobile 1 5w-30 fully synthetic.. The car at idle holds 35psi oil pressure at idle and under full throttle goes up by 10psi per 1000rpm.. So the motor seems to be checking out ok.. I also went through and fixed alot of wiring and got rid of unnecessary wiring and fixed some misplaced vacuum lines.. I drained the transmission fluid and noticed it was a bit milky looking so hopefully thats just from sitting for so long.. I put in 3quarts of Dextron Mecron and 1quart of Lucas.. I also picked up two rear quarter glasses just in case the other breaks also lol The car has a big nasty cam in it killing the power brakes, so i bought the maximum motorsports manual brake setup from my buddy. Also just bought Maximum Motorsports Full Length Sub Frame Connectors.. Im also getting my center console a little redesign work, Im removing the information center,clock and the cigaret and ashtray door and replacing it with a piece of metal made to match and painted black, with 2 gauge inserts for my oil pressure and water temp to remove the junk ass sun pro gauges.. Also have a switch panel for electric fan, a 12V receptacle for my radar detector and a USB receptacle for my cell phone charger.. I will be posting pics once its all said and done.. I order the Auto Meter GS Series mechanical gauges they match the stock cluster and have a green back light just like my dash light outta look bad ass..

Idle Video

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=1sysgi&s=7

Looking Good!! Nothing like cruising in a Black Dominator with the T-Tops out!
    Steve
    "Taillights in Your Face Jack? You've just been Dominated!"
    # Link to Facebook Dominator Mustang Fans # # Link to Facebook Predator Mustang Fans #
    # Link to Facebook Twister Mustang Fans #
    Current Stangs: Stangless
    Previously owned:
    84 Black GT, 85 Black T-Top Dominator GT # Link to Restoration Thread # 85 Dominator GT RIP 1995, 85 Predator GT, 83 Dominator GT, 82 Mustang GT

Very nice! Glad to see she finally landed in the hands of someone who wants to restore her!
    Chris Lott
    '81 Cobra T-Top - Black
    '85 Dominator GT - Black, 24k miles
    '85 Predator GT302R #150R - Light Regatta Blue
    '85 Predator GT302 Convertible #119 - White w/blue stripes For Sale
    '86 Texas DPS Mustang (Unit # unknown) - undergoing resto

I'd say she's got a little cam to her! Sounds really good. Good luck with the resto!
    2011 Mustang GT Track Day car
    1985 Mustang Dominator GT

Previous cars:
    1979 Mustang 5.0 upgraded to a 351W (1987 - 1991)
    1985 Black Mustang GT Dominator T-Top (bought from Bluesfannoz In 1992 sold in 1993 RIP)
    1990 Mustang GT Titanium hardtop w/black leather (1993 - 1994)
    2004 Mustang GT w/a few bolt ons 255 RWHP (2004 - 2006)
    1985 Mustang GT Medium Canyon Red Factory Sunroof 32,000 miles - Sold to the right person (2013 - 2016)

Your car is a good looking car with tons of potential. I too am glad someone finally has it that will do it justice. Another Dominator saved! Good luck, and keep us posted. We will of course need more pics along the way.
    1982 Dominator GT
    *1st Dominator ever sold and
    autographed by Jackie Stewart *
    1993 Corvette
    2005 Roush Mustang
    2008 Escape
    (DD)

New Floor Pans Ordered Drivers and Passenger Side.. Didn't need the passenger side it was getting bad so im gonna have it replaced why i have the interior out anyways..

Might be trading some stuff to my buddy for two summit sports seats he bought them for his car and never put them in..

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G1159-2/

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Stolly113; 06-09-2011 at 12:31 AM.

I would definitely keep the original seats, '83s are special seats with the netted headrest. Maybe keep your eyes out for some with less fading or something, but definitely keep the originals IMHO.
    Chris Lott
    '81 Cobra T-Top - Black
    '85 Dominator GT - Black, 24k miles
    '85 Predator GT302R #150R - Light Regatta Blue
    '85 Predator GT302 Convertible #119 - White w/blue stripes For Sale
    '86 Texas DPS Mustang (Unit # unknown) - undergoing resto

Agree with Chris on the seats. Don't get rid of them. Your welcome to put in some different ones, but keep the originals as they were a limited option.
    Steve
    # Link to Facebook Dominator Mustang Fans # # Link to Facebook Predator Mustang Fans #
    Previously owned:
    84 Black GT, 85 Black T-Top Dominator GT # Link to Restoration Thread # 85 Dominator GT RIP 1995, 85 Predator GT, 83 Dominator GT, 82 Mustang GT

Well that was my idea... To hold on to them and eventually get them restored with new foam and cloth...

I got the Manual Brake kit installed today i still need to bend a line for the front brakes I had to go play softball, I also installed my new hood latch cable haven a broken T handle was really starting to piss me off.. lol

Looks and sounds great. I noticed that you said your info center is bad. Are you interested in one. I have one out of a 84 RS i think it works i will have to put power to and check it if you are interested.

No my buddy is a fabricator by profession so he is making me up something nice for my center console.. Alot of my wiring is cut up so it would be to much of a pain in the ass to try to make it all work.. Thanks though, once i get it done I will post pics of my new console..

Also just ordered some 194 SMD LED's 5 lights per LED for my cluster anxious to see how they will look... My green dash lights just aren't bright enough for me..

LED Dash Lights Installed...

I Bought 194 WEDGE LIGHT 5 SMD LED BULBS they are cool white...
    My stock gauge color was green..

Fixed the quarter window last night so no more plexiglass i must say the stuff i used its called window weld is the ****!!!! Drove the car some noticed it was sputtering pulled the plug and saw they were black and they are new plugs, so i new it was running rich.. So today went and bought a Distributor Cap, Rotor Button, New plug wires, New plugs again, a MSD coil, a breather and new filter, and a fuel pressure regulator and gauge. Gave the car a quick tune up from the above e list got the fuel pressure to 5psi so it would stop fouling plugs. Went to go drive it ran good went and put some 93 to top off the tank before me evening cruise ran it through the gears a bit and the clutch pedal went to the floor and transmission fluid starting poring out of the bell housing underneath the car...

FML

Ouch! Sorry to hear after all that hard work, that you had a turn of bad luck! Hope you get that sweet Dominator back on the road soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly113 View Post
    Fixed the quarter window last night so no more plexiglass i must say the stuff i used its called window weld is the ****!!!! Drove the car some noticed it was sputtering pulled the plug and saw they were black and they are new plugs, so i new it was running rich.. So today went and bought a Distributor Cap, Rotor Button, New plug wires, New plugs again, a MSD coil, a breather and new filter, and a fuel pressure regulator and gauge. Gave the car a quick tune up from the above e list got the fuel pressure to 5psi so it would stop fouling plugs. Went to go drive it ran good went and put some 93 to top off the tank before me evening cruise ran it through the gears a bit and the clutch pedal went to the floor and transmission fluid starting poring out of the bell housing underneath the car...

FML
    Steve
    Previously owned:

FML
    These old cars will drive you crazy!
    1982 Dominator GT
    *1st Dominator ever sold and
    autographed by Jackie Stewart *
    1993 Corvette
    2005 Roush Mustang
    2008 Escape
    (DD)

LED Dash Lights Installed...

I Bought 194 WEDGE LIGHT 5 SMD LED BULBS they are cool white...
    My stock gauge color was green..

Dang that looks sweet. I just put some SMD LEDS in my 86, stock light was red, it's now like orangy yellow.

Seeing this wants me to pull those red covers off the bulbs

this car looks exactly like my 83 gt but has 2 dominator stickers ? thats the only difference ?
    HARVESTER OF EYES

DAMN IT! LET THE RABBITS WEAR GLASSES, SAID THE CRIES OF THE CARROT.
    YOU SHOULD NEVER SMOKE IN PAJAMAS, YOU COULD CATCH ON FIRE AND BURN YOUR FACE.

The car would have originally had a Vapor Injection kit, and Hooker long tube headers. Those are long since gone. So yes it was very similar to your 83 but not exactly the same. But far more than most just sticker cars out there. They really did make these cars faster at a time when performance in many circles was a bad word. Does that answer your question?

Quote Originally Posted by PIGBOY View Post
    this car looks exactly like my 83 gt but has 2 dominator stickers ? thats the only difference ?
    Last edited by bluesfannoz; 07-11-2011 at 02:11 PM.
    Steve
    Previously owned:

Whos car has 2 stickers? Im lost also and my car would have had a vapor injection kit? Whats that?

yep that helps. what can you tell me about my predator 85? you might have some info i do not? that would be great, just hit me up on my predator thread if you want?
    thanks blues
    HARVESTER OF EYES

DAMN IT! LET THE RABBITS WEAR GLASSES, SAID THE CRIES OF THE CARROT.
    YOU SHOULD NEVER SMOKE IN PAJAMAS, YOU COULD CATCH ON FIRE AND BURN YOUR FACE.

I had my buddy Jason make me a set of solid motor mounts..
    Simple design but they look good and fit even better...

Vapor injection was a kit that injected a combination of water and methanol into the engine to improve fuel economy. It also can be used to enhance performance marginally by allowing you to run advanced timing without detonation. Today its often used in turbo and supercharger applications in place of intercooling. It combined with adding the long tube headers could make the car faster than other Stock Mustangs. Which was the intent. You have to remember that Premium octane gasoline was not readily available as it is today. Which is basically the same concept. Higher octane allows you to run more advanced timing and generate more power.

As for the stickers... I think PIGBOY was mistaken in that he really meant 3. One on each side above the 5.0 and one on the back hatch. In your case they could also have been painted on instead of being stickers and some 83 I have located were painted on instead of stickers.

Whos car has 2 stickers? Im lost also and my car would have had a vapor injection kit? Whats that?
    Last edited by bluesfannoz; 07-11-2011 at 02:10 PM.
    Steve
    Previously owned:

No mine are def vinyl stickers i can run my hand across them and feel the edge.. So my car had this vapor injection you think? If so what would i be looking for to see ?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast