Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Long lost 9L convertible Twister II

In late 1984 Rusty Eck Ford in Wichita ordered all of 6 white convertible Twister II. For some reason they shipped one of 6 9L convertible T2 to Solomon America in Topeka. Tom Solomon converted one of the 13 T2 convertibles to 5S-0149 Predator. Tom delivered this car to Kribs Ford in St. Louis and sold it there. No one knew that this car started its life as T2 for 26 years. Long lost 9L convertible T2 was found last December 2010.

This car belonged to the same owner for a long time. The guy had this car since 1994. Then he passed away couple years ago. The car was passed down to his sister. She tried to sell it for a few years with no luck. The convertible was in her garage for a while. One day she pulled the convertible out of garage and parked on her driveway while she was doing something in garage.

Next day the car is gone, someone took it from her driveway and lady have keys with her. Of coruse they reported it to police. Few days later police noticed this stolen convertible driving on the road. Police tried to pulled over whoever in the car. The guy decided to run away from the police. And they chase them and guy got away from police and got lost control and hit in ditch before bluff and left the car. Police never found who in the car.

The car was towed and returned to lady again. She have to drop price down because of damage. One of my friend asked me if I want to own a wrecked convertible Predator. Because he knew that I could save this car. When we're close to purchase this car we discovered by VIN and VC that this car was a T2. I want to make sure the car was confirmed by Terry "Mr. Twister" Fritts. He confirmed that convertible is T2 few months before he passed away. After I purchased the car and it need some work repair to be road worthy. No issues when we drove it return to Kansas after Christmas and parked in garage next to my 86 Saleen.

Few weeks later, I couldnt stand to see her in such bad shape. She sitting down in garage with wrecked in front, wheelbase one inch off in front left wheel, windshield where one of the crook's heads smashed it, rusted on bottom doors and quarter panels, top convertible was slashed from being broke into and trashed the key cylinder on the column. Interior is pretty filthy, poorly repainted exterior and incorrect Le Man stripes and side rockers stripes. She didn't deserve to be in this condition. The car needed a full restoration. I started the progress in Feb. 2011 and finished in last May 2011.

3 months later. She is a beautiful one of kind car. I'm 99% sure that Tom Solomon removed all T2 decals and put all Predator stripes on and sold it in St. Louis because they have nothing to do with T2 promotion in St. Louis. I feel that she deserved to have T2 decals back on where she was belong. I decied to put torando with eyes decals on above molding trim of quarter panels and leave rest as Predator.

Some information I got from Foxchassis, Terry Fritts, Orlando Haywood and others.

Kansas City dictrct office order 90 Twister II from Dearborn.
    -74 red, 14 white, 1 silver, 1 cayon red
    -77 hardtop, 13 convertible
    -Rusty Eck Ford ordered all of 6 white convertibles

Solomon America built 135 Predator in 1985
    -12 convertible
    -9 of 135 has red stripes

As of now I know only one 9L convertible T2 still exist. I hope other of 6 white convertible T2 still around. If you're out of curious about one silver and one cayon red T2 still exist? We did verifty both of them, they last time registry back in 93 and 94 which dose not sound very good. Tom Solomon is still around and I'm still wait to hear from him to see if he still remember my car and like to know why he convertion from Twister II to Predator. He did mention to Orlando that he knows my T2/Predator was a special order car, but we are not sure why yet. Hopefully we will get more details soon.

If I heard anything update or interesting story about my car. I will share with you.

The day I went over there to see the car.

Removed driver side frame rail to replace with other one.

Frame and wheel base is straight now.

Found 2 build sheets in car. One is ruined and other one saved but could barely read.

Get ready for new paint

VIN on the engine and transmission are a match!

I need to replace to correct air cleaner for it soon.

Stay tuned for 86-177 Saleen!
    Last edited by dlgourn; 06-08-2011 at 09:54 PM.

All I can say Dan is WOW!
    Steve
    "Taillights in Your Face Jack? You've just been Dominated!"
    # Link to Facebook Dominator Mustang Fans # # Link to Facebook Predator Mustang Fans #
    # Link to Facebook Twister Mustang Fans #
    Current Stangs: Stangless
    Previously owned:
    84 Black GT, 85 Black T-Top Dominator GT # Link to Restoration Thread # 85 Dominator GT RIP 1995, 85 Predator GT, 83 Dominator GT, 82 Mustang GT

WoW - great thread. I can really appreciate the work that went into that resto!!!
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Dan: Did you replace the VIN tag and Solomon tag on the driver-side inner fender?

Just a correction to the above Twister II numbers: There were 76 hatchbacks and 14 convertibles.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Thanks Steve and Jturbo!

Foxchassis, yes I did save the VIN and Solomon tag to other driver side inner fender. I was excited to take picture of under hood without Solomon tag on the strut tower.
    Last edited by dlgourn; 06-05-2011 at 07:03 PM.

Fantastic cars. Congrats, and nice save.
    1982 Dominator GT
    *1st Dominator ever sold and
    autographed by Jackie Stewart *
    1993 Corvette
    2005 Roush Mustang
    2008 Escape
    (DD)

cool
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    was in 3rd gear, right foot to the floor and Cones where flying!

1)who cares if you don't like my functional illiterate

2)if i write like a 2nd grader, isn't that still better than texting?

3)yes ,i'm a French-fry short of a happy meal.

4)Statistically speaking, six out of seven dwarfs aren't Happy

FEP Power Member

That is a great story, and a really nice job getting it back in shape.
    Kendal

Absolutely amazing work Dan!!!! What a save!
    Chris Lott
    '81 Cobra T-Top - Black
    '85 Dominator GT - Black, 24k miles
    '85 Predator GT302R #150R - Light Regatta Blue
    '85 Predator GT302 Convertible #119 - White w/blue stripes For Sale
    '86 Texas DPS Mustang (Unit # unknown) - undergoing resto

Gorgeous. Your guy did an incredible job and hardly no time. This might be the fastest full blown resto we've seen on here. You are a lucky guy, those two white foxes look sweet together.
    Stan
    1986 Ford Mustang Saleen #80 Gray/gray
    1986 Mercury Capri ASC McLaren Coupe#20 Black/silver, gone.
    1985 GT Silver/gray T-top car, gone
    1985 Canyon Red Turbo coupe, gone

ragtopjr

Very cool/rare car with a great story to go with it!

But please, turn the white lettering around on the tires...

Its like a huge zit on the end of a super models face... your eyes go there directly and become the focus!

JMHO

Thank you all for kind words.

Ragtopjr, check it out at

http://mustangtimes.net/19-12/pg12-16.pdf

Tom Solomon put BFGs on the cars from the factory, and from most of what I have ever seen with the white letters out. So I think it's cool and correct to leave them that way!
    Chris Lott
    '81 Cobra T-Top - Black

ragtopjr

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by 02Z06 View Post
    Tom Solomon put BFGs on the cars from the factory, and from most of what I have ever seen with the white letters out. So I think it's cool and correct to leave them that way!
    And i think you missed my point..... Completely....

I dont think Tom Soloman put Mastercraft Avengers on the front, and Kelly Super Chargers
    on the back... Do you?

Like I said it becomes the focal point, and in my opinion takes away from such a cool, awesome looking car...

Had they been matched then thats a whole different deal....

JMHO
    Last edited by ragtopjr; 06-06-2011 at 11:19 PM.

Those tires on the car is what I got it from old owner. Im going to replace it to BFG when money is permission. I own this car for 6 months now. And I have other 6 mustangs that need restoration too. The progress is not 100% complete but it is good enough to take some pictures and share to FEP members. And please not ruin my thread for just tires issue.

Quote Originally Posted by ragtopjr View Post
    And i think you missed my point..... Completely....

I dont think Tom Soloman put Mastercraft Avengers on the front, and Kelly Super Chargers
    on the front... Do you?

Like I said it becomes the focal point, and in my opinion takes away from such a cool, awesome looking car...

Had they been matched then thats a whole different deal....

JMHO
    I guess I'll defend the restorer here, obviously he didn't intend a mis-matched set of 20 year old tires to be the finished product, do you?

He has a couple high end restorations going and I don't think tires for this car have made the cut yet. When he does get new tires for it, I'll be money they will be a set of 4, and would look great with the whites out like the car was originally built.
    Last edited by 02Z06; 06-06-2011 at 02:37 PM.
    Chris Lott
    '81 Cobra T-Top - Black

Car looks beautiful & glad to see it got the attention it deserved. Very nice work

ragtopjr

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by 02Z06 View Post
    I guess I'll defend the restorer here, obviously he didn't intend a mis-matched set of 20 year old tires to be the finished product, do you?

He has a couple high end restorations going and I don't think tires for this car have made the cut yet. When he does get new tires for it, I'll be money they will be a set of 4, and would look great with the whites out like the car was originally built.
    No need to defend anyone here, its not a fight, would you agree that it is a focal point and something that stands out like a sore thumb?

I can agree with both you and the owner that once he has the full set then it will look fine with the white letters out. right now with a mismatched set it takes away from the car.

At this time if he does not have the full set, turn the tires to blackwall out and nobody will be the wiser....

Just for the record, I have no problem with mismatched tires front to back (I have them on my bigs n littles) but when you have them whitewalls out it looks like crap....

As I said in the original post the car is awesome, but the tires do take away from the full picture....

And again this is jmho, some may agree, and some may disagree.

I can honestly say I would have to go and find another garage to house this car if I had the chance, but I can also say the mismatched tires would be blackwall out until I had 4 of the same!

Just for the record, nowhere in the post did I see the Op say anything about waiting on new tires coming....

I commented on the car as it is in the picture not what it may be down the road...
    Last edited by ragtopjr; 06-06-2011 at 03:08 PM.

ragtopjr

Thumbs up

My Apologies to the OP, I missed your reply to me on post # 15 when I replied to 02 Z06 "Defending" you.

I am sorry I missed post 15 which answered my questions.

My apologies to you for this.

But I still say you have a sweet car...
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 06-06-2011 at 06:53 PM.

Awesome read! Enjoyed the story and looking forward to reading updates.
    1985 5.0 Coupe - will eventually be hated by Ford purists

Man, that is one cool ride!

Update on other 5 white convertible T2.

Only one is still registered. Other 4 last time they were registered were listed as unknow, '92, '01, and '05.

Not being registered does not mean they have been totaled. I just saw 2 very nice Dominators that had not been registered since 1998. So lets keep our fingers crossed a few of those are just stored away.
    Steve
    "Taillights in Your Face Jack? You've just been Dominated!"
    # Link to Facebook Dominator Mustang Fans # # Link to Facebook Predator Mustang Fans #
    # Link to Facebook Twister Mustang Fans #
    Current Stangs: Stangless
    Previously owned:
    84 Black GT, 85 Black T-Top Dominator GT # Link to Restoration Thread # 85 Dominator GT RIP 1995, 85 Predator GT, 83 Dominator GT, 82 Mustang GT

Congrats on the progress...I like the roll bar, do you have any pic's of how it attaches on the inside of the car?

Looks great! Job well done!

David
    82 Tan Mustang Coupe with 5.0 5 speed(For Sale)
    85 Black Saleen Mustang 85-99
    85 ASC McLaren Coupe
    86 ASC McLaren EuroCoupe

Coming Soon: Red 84 1/2 GT Convertible

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast