Close

Default '85-127 Alternator Wiring Question

OK guys...here is the first of many post regarding the electrical "gremlins" '85-127 has.

Alternator Issue
    (I've tried 2 rebuilt alternators and 2 new voltage regulators...and they both do the same thing.)

The "field" wire sparks bad when I hook it up to the alternator (ignigition off).

It is also draining the battery...

When it's hooked up and the engine is running, the battery is charging...

I've tested the wiring - and it seems OK. The wiring going to the voltage regulator is correct...(depending on the position of the ignigition switch).

Is it possible I have 2 bad brand new voltage regulators?

What else would cause this?

1985 SALEEN Hatchback
    #127 - Oxford White w/Tan interior

1999 SALEEN S281-SC Speedster
    #008 - Laser Red

Interim President Saleen Club of America

If you've got Voltage on the regulator "F" terminal, with the ignition key off, you need to
    check the "S" terminal. If there's Voltage there, the regulator is just doing what it's told.
    You would need to investigate why that is. Have you looked at your ignition switch yet?

If there isn't, the regulator is defective. Usually the regulators only fail when there is a
    problem in the alternator field circuit, or it's wiring.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune