Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shepperdw

Default Looking to buy this 300zx

He has a couple posts with different pictures. I'm thinking that I'm going to initially offer 1500 for it, then offer 1700. I don't think I will make a bid above 1700. Let me know what you guys this about this. From what I can tell, the only thing that needs work is a freshen up on the paint and a new driver seat.The link to the ads are below.

http://littlerock.craigslist.org/cto/2381535484.html
    http://littlerock.craigslist.org/cto/2393164185.html

It's not an autotragic so there's that. I think he's overstating the fuel economy a little - you might get that if you drove it like a senior citizen. At that kind of mileage I'd want to replace the timing belt and water pump if there is not proof its been changed. Not a fun job.

If you drive and like the car, I think you're not out of line with your offer.
    1981 Durango (ends my 18 year drought of not owning a F/Z)

those cars are very nice, i would put 2 new bucket seats in it off ebay..
    Marshall - Posting from Dominican Republic

79 Pacecar 2.3 EFI turbo
    80 Capri 5.0
    81 Fastback roller

FEP Super Member

Cool car. But then I am a kid from the 80s soooo.

kyle
    Also, do not be so quick to judge someone's comments as being derogatory. It is often difficult to interpret someone's intentions having only text and no body language or tone of voice to guide you.
    "If road racing where easy it would be called drag racing"
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

Shepperdw

Quote Originally Posted by Durango View Post
    It's not an autotragic so there's that. I think he's overstating the fuel economy a little - you might get that if you drove it like a senior citizen. At that kind of mileage I'd want to replace the timing belt and water pump if there is not proof its been changed. Not a fun job.

If you drive and like the car, I think you're not out of line with your offer.
    Thanks for letting me think about that. I'm going to ask about that. I'm going to drive it, that is going to be certain. Ehh, I could drive it like a senior citizen... I do need better gas mileage than my fox is giving me right now. The first thing I'm going to check is the weatherstripping. One of my biggest mistakes was buying a car that I didn't think to check the weatherstripping on. I had to cover it with a tarp every night or it would fill up like a fish bowl. The previous owner had it garage kept... And I test drove it with everything down of course, so I didn't hear the air coming in *facepalm*. Everything was nice on the car besides that though. I felt a little lied to in a sense because he didn't mention the weatherstripping on that one.

Shepperdw

Quote Originally Posted by Evil86lx View Post
    Cool car. But then I am a kid from the 80s soooo.

kyle
    I turned 19 last month. I guess we both just have good taste, eh?

It's not a turbo, so there's that. LOL. I wouldn't pay more than $1800 for it, personally. The turbo cars are more desirable.

i wouldn't even bother. most people who buy those, just swap out the motor and complain about the exterior. if i were you, id save that money, and put it aside until something really good comes up.
    86 GT 5speed. TFS1, explorer motor, Edelbrock heads.

Shepperdw

@ SVT Rob, I'm looking for 1500, and I know I won't pay more than 1700. So, I wouldn't pay more than that either. What it comes down to is the fact I need something CHEAP, AIR CONDITIONED, cool looking, fuel injected (my 4 eye has a manual choke grr....), good weatherstripping (I hope, haven't asked), and gets fairly decent gas mileage. This seems to do that, so I'm hoping it's even better in person.

@Juanizzle, That's like saying "Well, it isn't a gt500, so I don't like the stang." A turbo car with that body style and especially that late of a year for that style is getting... RARE (4000 built originally, and most of those have been chopped up and/or wrecked). Given it isn't worth as much... I can't find a turbo... especially not in this area.

Depending on his reaction to 1500, I may walk after he refuses that, if he does. Also, I could save up and buy a 302x for my mustang.... But that would be significantly more expensive... what do you guys think?

I have a manual choke wired wide open. I've also got an XE274HR cam, forged pistons, full exhaust, and a heavy right foot (amongst other things). And this is my daily driver . My daughters LOVE riding in my car, even though it doesn't have AC and it's loud. I think I got blessed there, though LOL.

Shepperdw

Quote Originally Posted by SVT Rob View Post
    I have a manual choke wired wide open. I've also got an XE274HR cam, forged pistons, full exhaust, and a heavy right foot (amongst other things). And this is my daily driver . My daughters LOVE riding in my car, even though it doesn't have AC and it's loud. I think I got blessed there, though LOL.
    I'm so sorry (about your gas bill). Lmao. Mine has a/c, but the compressor is shot. The vent typically blows colder than the a/c I love riding in my car, except during Arkansas summers (110 degrees at moments).... and that is why i want a car with a/c. My truck never had air conditioning from the factory (1968 c-10). My Dad has recently been disabled, so I drive his car a lot (to save on gas, and to have a/c)... but I really feel bad about doing that. My parents were mad at me when I sold my sensible car (2000 Buick Lesabre, yes I did pay for it, not them before you start bashing me for doing that) to fund my Mustang project... But what can you say? When you love a car, you love a car.

my brother had one. they are fun cars even without the turbo. good luck getting good gas mileage out of it. my brothers had t tops and a stick but he ended up melting the motor. literally. an engine mount went bad causing it to bounce around and eventually the fan cut through a coolant hose. you can not over heat that motor at all.
    plus from every nissan mechanic i have ever known when the timing belt goes everything else normally decides to go with it. and expect the parts to cost more. a fuel line once cost my brother over a hundred bucks.

all in all if a fuel efficient car the reason your looking at the car then your probably looking at the wrong car. imo
    02 F150 Lightning
    82 mustang gt

I've only ridden in one 300ZX and it was a Z32. It was really nice, but then again, the guy that owns it dumps every paycheck he gets into it. I'd say go for the Z31. Nissans are pretty bulletproof cars.

pic of my friends car

I prefer the more classic look of the Z31 stock for stock though!
    Derek Kuntz

2001 Ford Focus ZX3
    1982 Mercury Capri RS 5.0 - Sold

I haven't owned a 300ZX, but I have owned a 280ZX and several Supras. They all require an owner who's an enthusiast of that particular car, and who's up for the challenge of owning it. They aren't much more fuel efficient than an EFI Mustang, and original parts are usually either too expensive or obsolete. Service tends to be complicated and expensive, and often requires special tools. The AC systems usually don't work, and fixing them requires either buying the expensive R-12 refrigerant or converting to 134a which is expensive to do correctly.

If you buy the 300ZX you'll probably need to spend a lot more money on it than you expect, and then you'll still have an old non-turbo car that no one will really care about. Considering what you want and your budget, you'll probably have better luck if you let go of the part about "cool looking." Then shop for something that's simpler and gets better gas mileage. Old Japanese sports cars can definitely be fun, but I don't think that they're what you're looking for.
    Last edited by arj; 05-26-2011 at 03:02 AM.
    82 9D Black Magic 5.0
    82 1C Black Magic 5.0

Ahh, that's a good response full of information, arj. I wish I knew to let go of the coolness of a car and go for something ugly that gets good fuel economy. I've been looking at Festivas and would like to own one of those because the Capri needs work and is terrible on fuel. For now the Capri cuts it though. I don't need to drive it too much and when I do drive it, I try to have fun in it since it is a Mustang compatible (nerdy joke)! I wouldn't mind owning a Festiva or something smaller with a four banger though. Too bad it's not as easy as finding someone with what you want and swapping straight across with no issues
    Derek Kuntz

2001 Ford Focus ZX3
    1982 Mercury Capri RS 5.0 - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Shepperdw View Post
    I'm so sorry (about your gas bill). Lmao. Mine has a/c, but the compressor is shot. The vent typically blows colder than the a/c I love riding in my car, except during Arkansas summers (110 degrees at moments).... and that is why i want a car with a/c. My truck never had air conditioning from the factory (1968 c-10). My Dad has recently been disabled, so I drive his car a lot (to save on gas, and to have a/c)... but I really feel bad about doing that. My parents were mad at me when I sold my sensible car (2000 Buick Lesabre, yes I did pay for it, not them before you start bashing me for doing that) to fund my Mustang project... But what can you say? When you love a car, you love a car.
    I hear ya on the AC. Even in Texas summers, I really never used mine, with the exception of my F150. That sucker had ice cold AC, and it was worth using.

There is nothing wrong with having a sensible car to daily drive. I, unfortunately, have this disease that makes me want to modify and tweak everything I own. Currently working on an FC3S to daily drive. Factory non-turbo, doing a Turbo II swap on it. Keeping it basically stock, should give me better fuel economy than Red, while still being a fun car to tool around in.

I agree with Arj, though.

Rob

I owned a '86 300ZX turbo for several years back in the early '90's. On the highway it got great gas mileage. My car was purty much trouble free in the years I owned it but like people above have stated pay close attention to the timing belt. Two other items to ask about is the water pump and fuel delivery system. I recall people having issues with gas leaking and catching the car on fire. If the car has a digital dash take it for a spin over bumps and see if it flickers. I think the cars are nice but over time they just are not built to last without dumping alot of money on them.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Shepperdw

Quote Originally Posted by 4wheeldevil View Post
    all in all if a fuel efficient car the reason your looking at the car then your probably looking at the wrong car. imo
    Fun and more fuel efficient....

Quote Originally Posted by bobbawon View Post
    I've only ridden in one 300ZX and it was a Z32. It was really nice, but then again, the guy that owns it dumps every paycheck he gets into it. I'd say go for the Z31. Nissans are pretty bulletproof cars.
    I've had to learn the hard way that not all cars are bulletproof. The most trouble I have seen with a car was actually out of a *cough* 300zx... But that car just looked bad... Here's a pic

Quote Originally Posted by arj View Post
    I haven't owned a 300ZX, but I have owned a 280ZX and several Supras. They all require an owner who's an enthusiast of that particular car, and who's up for the challenge of owning it. They aren't much more fuel efficient than an EFI Mustang, and original parts are usually either too expensive or obsolete. Service tends to be complicated and expensive, and often requires special tools. The AC systems usually don't work, and fixing them requires either buying the expensive R-12 refrigerant or converting to 134a which is expensive to do correctly.

If you buy the 300ZX you'll probably need to spend a lot more money on it than you expect, and then you'll still have an old non-turbo car that no one will really care about. Considering what you want and your budget, you'll probably have better luck if you let go of the part about "cool looking." Then shop for something that's simpler and gets better gas mileage. Old Japanese sports cars can definitely be fun, but I don't think that they're what you're looking for.
    I could always drop a chevy 350 in it . No more problems (plus this is Arkansas, we are practically the Chevrolet capital in the world lmao, I seriously do believe Arkansas is the only state where the chevy 1500 outsells the f150.... Every year....

Quote Originally Posted by bobbawon View Post
    Ahh, that's a good response full of information, arj. I wish I knew to let go of the coolness of a car and go for something ugly that gets good fuel economy. I've been looking at Festivas and would like to own one of those because the Capri needs work and is terrible on fuel. For now the Capri cuts it though. I don't need to drive it too much and when I do drive it, I try to have fun in it since it is a Mustang compatible (nerdy joke)! I wouldn't mind owning a Festiva or something smaller with a four banger though. Too bad it's not as easy as finding someone with what you want and swapping straight across with no issues
    I've also considered a v6 camaro. The 3400 and 3800 are EXTREMELY good motors, and I can typically get over 30 mpg with one... but at the same time... It's a v6 CAMARO

Quote Originally Posted by SVT Rob View Post
    I hear ya on the AC. Even in Texas summers, I really never used mine, with the exception of my F150. That sucker had ice cold AC, and it was worth using.

There is nothing wrong with having a sensible car to daily drive. I, unfortunately, have this disease that makes me want to modify and tweak everything I own. Currently working on an FC3S to daily drive. Factory non-turbo, doing a Turbo II swap on it. Keeping it basically stock, should give me better fuel economy than Red, while still being a fun car to tool around in.

I agree with Arj, though.

Rob
    300zx isn't too sensible... Don't worry... I'm not too normal yet
    Quote Originally Posted by bwguardian View Post
    I owned a '86 300ZX turbo for several years back in the early '90's. On the highway it got great gas mileage. My car was purty much trouble free in the years I owned it but like people above have stated pay close attention to the timing belt. Two other items to ask about is the water pump and fuel delivery system. I recall people having issues with gas leaking and catching the car on fire. If the car has a digital dash take it for a spin over bumps and see if it flickers. I think the cars are nice but over time they just are not built to last without dumping alot of money on them.
    This has the mechanical dash (thank god, those digital ones were cool back in the day I'm sure, but they're just ugly to me). As far as the leak in the fuel delivery system, when those leak, they LEAK. My friend couldn't get over 8 mpg when his STARTED leaking... I'll ask about the water pump...

__________________________________________________ ______________

Btw guys, I could always do a VQ35DE swap and chunk a turbo on it. hehehehhehe. That would be fun (plus you can get those motors fully equipped for like 1200.)

FEP Power Member

Every Z car that I have seen is a rust bucket. If you give 1700 for it, put some time, parts and money into it, it might still be worth 1700.

Shepperdw

Quote Originally Posted by DeraldRice View Post
    Every Z car that I have seen is a rust bucket. If you give 1700 for it, put some time, parts and money into it, it might still be worth 1700.
    I love your optimism...

FEP Senior Member

If you want my opinion on a mid 80`s sporty car as a daily...try finding soemthing newer and eassier to find parts for. Those 300zx`s weigh a ton and something newer would not be any harder to find. Then again I am turning 30 this year and the idea of dealing with 20 soemthing years of someone else`s half assed repairs scare me.
    1985 Mustang Canadian Cobra
    It ain't Pretty but it doesn't care

Here's an idea. Why not buy a $500 crapbox. Take the other $1200 and buy yourself an explorer GT40P motor and the fuel rail, wiring, and ignition from a later mass air 5.0 mustang. And fix your A/C. I bought a used compressor, lines, and a new condensor for mine last year all for about $200. Works great. Drive said crapbox while performing work on the mustang then sell said crapbox for $500. I actually like Japanese cars ( I own 4 toyota trucks) but the parts availability in general for Japanese cars over 10 years old really isn't that great.

Shepperdw

Quote Originally Posted by Killingcivics View Post
    If you want my opinion on a mid 80`s sporty car as a daily...try finding soemthing newer and eassier to find parts for. Those 300zx`s weigh a ton and something newer would not be any harder to find. Then again I am turning 30 this year and the idea of dealing with 20 soemthing years of someone else`s half assed repairs scare me.
    It is true that they weigh more than a fox... but at the same time, they have automatic windows... and 3100 pounds isn't THAT heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by 85GT-79FJ40 View Post
    Here's an idea. Why not buy a $500 crapbox. Take the other $1200 and buy yourself an explorer GT40P motor and the fuel rail, wiring, and ignition from a later mass air 5.0 mustang. And fix your A/C. I bought a used compressor, lines, and a new condensor for mine last year all for about $200. Works great. Drive said crapbox while performing work on the mustang then sell said crapbox for $500. I actually like Japanese cars ( I own 4 toyota trucks) but the parts availability in general for Japanese cars over 10 years old really isn't that great.
    Ehh, I'd rather not buy a crap box. Even with a new motor, a crap box is still a crap box.... I'm getting to the a/c.... Just gimme... well... Okay, honestly I'm probably going to have the whole a/c unit upgraded, and that is going to cost me a budgeted 800 dollars. Hondas have butt loads of parts available... but this isn't a honda, thank GOD.

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shepperdw View Post
    I love your optimism...
    Its called being realistic and honest.

FEP Senior Member

Auto windows aren`t that amazing. I have a 2005 p71 crown victoria with them. I have owned 58 or 59 cars in the last 10 years and even a few cheap 80`s sports cars ( 1987 scirocco 16v and two 1990 corrado vr6s).
    Cars like that nissan become money pits in very little time.
    There are few I would daily from the 80`s and one would be any bmw 3 series, mid 90`s v6 camaroes/firechickens or even some sn95 v6 rustangs. Then again you wouldnt be saving too too much on gas. Guessing you want a rwd with ac?
    1985 Mustang Canadian Cobra
    It ain't Pretty but it doesn't care

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast