Close

Default My SVO tried to commit suicide (again)

Ok, for the last week or so, there has been a slight fuel leak from the tank area (nothing major, but something I knew I need to attend to). Last I drove the car I notice the smell inside the cabin. So I parked the car (to focus on the vert for the MU show). Well tonight I start up the car so I can get it the garage. Figured I would let it warm up then pull it in the garage and change the oil. Running a few minutes and I'm getting a strong smell of gas from the front of the car???

Pop the hood and the lower intake is covered in gas and it's dripping towards the distributor. Shut it down. Get a hand from Doug to push it in the garage and find the O-ring on the #1 injector is shot

If it wasn't parked outside next to the Tahoe, I may have let it let it go through witht the suicide....

At least the injector o-wrings are a cheap fix.

JT
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

My Capri tried committing suicide today. On top of a freeway overpass in light traffic it died. With nowhere to go, I decided to stay in the car and get it to roll into the gas station at the bottom of the hill. Got enough speed and decided to pop the clutch and I got home as soon as possible...
    Derek Kuntz

2001 Ford Focus ZX3
    1982 Mercury Capri RS 5.0 - Sold

Neither here nor there

Thank god we have one sane person there, DOUG...geez. LOL

Nottingham, PA now...from Perryville, MD...From Levittown, PA

cars that are hot and leaking gas will NOT be pushed INTO the garage. They will be shoved onto the street.
    My name is Andrew
    1986 GT Convertible- 2nd owner
    1984 SVO-Impound Yard find

man, you can't catch a break JT.

Official FOX-A-QUE Threads
    : 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009

IDK, Maybe it's just jealous that I've been spending all my time and $$ on the vert recently...
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

i've got one foureye. that's enough trouble for me. my tempest just collects dust b/c i have no time for it.

cale

Quote Originally Posted by JTurbo View Post
    IDK, Maybe it's just jealous that I've been spending all my time and $$ on the vert recently...
    Sometimes I swear the cars are as bad as a woman when you ignore them for something else ...
    I'm an FEP Paid Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

1984 Capri Turbo RS - Alive after 7 years! Build Thread
    2018 Mustang GT - daily driver

Quote Originally Posted by ccurtin View Post
    Sometimes I swear the cars are as bad as a woman when you ignore them for something else ...
    i havent touched the pacecar in like 2 months! maybe ill go caress it a while right now...
    Marshall - Posting from Dominican Republic

79 Pacecar 2.3 EFI turbo
    80 Capri 5.0
    81 Fastback roller

FEP Senior Member

Your SVO and my 85 must have the same plan. The fuel filter on the inlet of the carb has loosened up and started dripping twice now. Oh well, Im going to completely re gasket the whole thing when I do the intake gaskets. Someday lol

Spent $20 for 4 Fuel Injector o-ring kits from Napa and all is better....

Even changed the oil tonight. Now I just need to find out why the gas tank has a very slight drip.
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

My first Pace car caught on fire from a crack in the fuel hose going into the carb. Fuel poured onto the intake and caught on fire. When you have an engine fire and open the hood the fire will grow 10 times in size in a fraction of a second. Carb got overheated, burned ignition wires, vacuum lines and part of the wiring harness. Underside of the hood had to be repainted. Big insurance co dragged their feet. I have not had insurance with the company with a roof over their name in almost 20 years.
    2011 Ranger 2.3 5 speed Supercab XLT
    2009 Ranger 2.3 5 speed Longbed XL
    2004 Ranger 2.3 5 speed Longbed XL
    Former vehicles:
    79 Pace Car 5.0 4sp ex showroom stock racer.
    79 Pace Car 5.0 auto.

Quote Originally Posted by Capriman86 View Post
    Thank god we have one sane person there, DOUG...geez. LOL
    Thanks Jeff. I don't know about that SVO. I REALLY like that car, but I think it is trying its darndest to kill itself. JT showed me the alternator wiring harness that had previously melted itself into a blob. Leaking injector, and a weeping gas tank. Sheesh.

BTW - when we pushed it into the garage, the car was cold, so I was pretty sure the car wasn't going to try and immolate itself and take the house (and god forbid, the just-finished 86 GT vert).

I have never seen anyone remove an intake that fast. Almost like JT had done that like 100 times before.... I think he could do it with one hand tied behind his back.

For anyone that hasn't driven an SVO, they should try it at least once. So different from a 5.0. (Thanks JT for that opportunity).

DZNJ

Nottingham, PA now...from Perryville, MD...From Levittown, PA

My SVO tried to kill itself when I moved last year from MD to PA. I had the car running and moving the weekend prior. I rented a trailer and went to start it. Lots of cranking. My buddies outside said they smelled gas. Lots of it. Popped the hood, the fuel line deteriorated and split before what I have been told is either the fuel pressure regulator or a "pulse" regulator. Gas was allover the place. Did a good job draining most of what was keft in the tank though. At least the GT went on the trailor.
    My name is Andrew
    1986 GT Convertible- 2nd owner
    1984 SVO-Impound Yard find

Dang. I think the fuel system is the only thing on my car that isn't self destructive... yet.
    2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport
    1984 Mustang convertible