Close

Default 1979 3.3l Fairmont Vacuum ports on Carb?

Hello,

Does anyone have one of these with the California Emissions, AC, and an automatic? I think its a Holley 1946 carb. I am making steady headway on the vacuum line problem, but I was wondering if someone can help me with the lines that connect to the carb? There is a big port that come out of the carb right at the base and is angled toward the front passenger side of the car. Then there are two right next to each other, one above, one below. One of these connects to the choke pull of, right? which one? The diagram on the hood has them identified with letters, but of course the carb does not have the letters that I can see anyway.

Woody

There are 10 vacuum diagrams for this year/engine size.
    I need to know which is yours. The lines go different places from that port depending on the calibration number. Mine was 9-7N-R3. I changed it to 9-7D-RO. It would also help to know if yours has a dual diaphragm distributor (2 lines come out of the advance), and or an air pump.
    Lots of FREE F/Z info on my site.
    http://myzephyrs.com

Yes, it has the dual diaphragm dist. and an air pump. I have been working little by little to put it back to the diagram on the hood, and thanks to posts on here, and other places (including the abbreviation decoder you posted on your site) I think I understand it all now. I just need to know which holes on the carb correspond to which abbreviations. I'm fairly certain the lowest one is the S port, even though on this car, again according to the Ford diagram, the vacuum advance gets its vacuum from temperature switches, delay valves and manifold vacuum.

When I get a chance I will find the calibration code and post it.

CLICK ON THE PICTURE TO ENLARGE..I LABELED THE PORTS.

PERFECT! I should be able to finish this tomorrow now. Hopefully once all the lines are hooked up correctly I should be able to step on the gas quickly without it dying.

is the 1945/1946 carb just an updated version of the old 1901?

Quote Originally Posted by BRWSaver View Post
    is the 1945/1946 carb just an updated version of the old 1901?
    I thought the 1901 was a 2BBl.

I was off by 3 it was the Holley 1904 I was thinking about

So I was able to hook everything back up the way the factory intended, but it wasn't easy.

For one thing the brass barb that should have been coming out of the carb at the "V" location had been pulled out. So I had to make something up to get it to work and not interfere with the Acc Pump linkage. Then there was a plastic barb broken off of one of the things on the air cleaner housing. I don't remember what the thing was called, but I glued a new barb onto it, and it seems airtight.

The "E" port is just plugged according to my hood diagram, at least no lines run from it in the picture.

Also for some reason my fast idle solenoid isn't plugged into anything, still the car idles at around 750rpm, and doesn't run on when you shut the key off, so I guess its okay.

On my '81 3.3, the solenoid is connected to the A/C compressor clutch circuit, to compensate
    for the additional compressor load at idle. The base idle is adjusted using the screw in the
    carburetor body, and the solenoid is then adjusted to maintain the desired idle speed when
    the compressor clutch is engaged.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune