Close

Thread: 85 CHP #E408428

Default 85 chp #e408428

Well, it's official: I am an SSP hoarder. Brought home 1985 CHP #8428 last weekend. This will be my first 4 eyed SSP.

Pics are at:
    http://s1090.photobucket.com/albums/...428/?start=all

So the story goes...the car was purchased from the CHP on 3/16/88. Original plate was E408248. The person that purchased the car had a stack of paperwork about 4 inches thick with every receipt from day 1 (will get that next week). A shop in the Portland area acquired the car from a guy that did concrete work. The concrete guy got it in trade from the person that bought it from MTM in Torrance. Suppossedly, the guy that bought it from the CHP was the officer that drove it and has in-service pics in the stash of documents that I will get next week.

The car needs work, but it all there.

I find it interesting on how many 85 CHPs have surfaced - and are subsequently being restored. Pretty cool.

Love the non-EFI feel of the car so far. It has a recent motor, trans and rear - all in the last 1,500 miles. It was smacked in the front at some point - and will need to be worked over, but the sheet metal still hangs well.

A few pictures to get us going:

Last edited by Rhino; 11-22-2012 at 01:39 AM.

FEP Super Member
    Blog Entries

The 85 carbed rollers have a very unique feel all to their own. Interesting that you would have noticed that right away. Very different feel than the EFI cars, very similar feel to the older vintage muscle cars, I think it feels like my old 67 289 4V 4 speed car.

Nice Score! Is that the repaint that it left CHP with? Really not bad looking. I can't wait to see it restored though!
    Chris Lott
    '81 Cobra T-Top - Black
    '85 Dominator GT - Black, 24k miles
    '85 Predator GT302R #150R - Light Regatta Blue
    '85 Predator GT302 Convertible #119 - White w/blue stripes For Sale
    '86 Texas DPS Mustang (Unit # unknown) - undergoing resto

Yes, looks like it's the original paint the CHP gave it, but hard to tell. You can see some black under the silver around the trunk, so I assume it's only had the one repaint.

The carbed engine does feel different. Almost like it's got more performance vs. a more refined feel. Sure is fun to drive.

Once I have the funding saved up, will bring it back to the black and white scheme the CHP ran. For now, I like the grey/silver color.

Thats an awesome looking SSP. Love that color and stance. Nice pick up.
    Stan
    1986 Ford Mustang Saleen #80 Gray/gray
    1986 Mercury Capri ASC McLaren Coupe#20 Black/silver, gone.
    1985 GT Silver/gray T-top car, gone
    1985 Canyon Red Turbo coupe, gone

FEP Power Member

Nice, radio delete too!!
    Kendal

FEP Member

Ryan, your new SSP is SWEET! The documentation you have and expect to receive will be an incredible bonus for your car. And your VIN is only 5 digits off from mine, too!
    Bill Jr.