Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Speaker help

the MB Quart DKE-108 fit perfectly i just discovered

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by midnite9150 View Post
    the MB Quart DKE-108 fit perfectly i just discovered
    How do they sound?
    85 GT vert

I've used Kicker 3.5, Bostons and Alpines. If you can get 2ohm speakers that would be awesome.

If you are looking to do it cheap, Pioneer is not bad for the money. Unless you are buying the Kappa Series, Infinity is junk. They sound tinny.

MB Quart is good stuff. I've not had the DKE-108 speakers, but their other stuff is pretty good. I've heard people say that they don't like MB Quart because they are so accurate with their sound reproduction they don't get the "warm" sound most people enjoy. (Pioneer actually does a good job of this I think)

If you don't want to use a heat gun to "massage" yourself some clearance, I guess you just buy whatever you can and deal with lesser sound quality. I understand not wanting to modify, but for me, sound quality is first, and I'll do what is necessary to make it fit.
    I push my fingers into my eyes......

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Update - 2023 - Looking to buy 81 Mustang, 82/85/86 Mustang GT, and 79 - 86 Capri (No Sunroof). Not looking for all original/show cars or convertibles - I will be modifying. Would be nice if both were - Black Interior, PW, PL, AC, No - or very little rust. Motor/Trans/Axle not important. Options negotiable with price.

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
    How do they sound?
    pretty good! i have those in the front and a pair of Rainbow 6x9's in boxes in the rear. Sound is a bit front heavy as the rears are a bit far away, but they sound very accurate and not too harsh

Quote Originally Posted by JACook View Post
    I've also got the 32.9 CFs in the front. I used a heat gun to gently clearance the areas under
    the speaker holes to give me more room for choices. For the rears, I've got the Infinity 63.9i's,
    but those are a bit of a chore to make fit. Had to modify the mounting brackets for the seat
    belt retractors, to lower them down 3/4" to get the backside clearance I needed. I also took
    a die grinder and opened up the plastic webbing just behind the carpet. Whoever originally did
    mine was really in a hurry that day...

Did you heat the dash hull so the speaker sits physically lower to clear the dash pad, or something else? I am also looking at the 32.9's for the front but was not sure if they will clear. It looks like the protrude approx 9/16 " above the mounting surface.

Anyone know if these JL C2-350x will clear without modification?

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_c...hp?comp_id=498

They list a 0.54 in. height above the mounting surface.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ksteeda View Post
    Did you heat the dash hull so the speaker sits physically lower to clear the dash pad, or something else? I am also looking at the 32.9's for the front but was not sure if they will clear. It looks like the protrude approx 9/16 " above the mounting surface.

Anyone know if these JL C2-350x will clear without modification?

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_c...hp?comp_id=498

They list a 0.54 in. height above the mounting surface.
    I had JL's installed last year...no problems & sound great. I should note that I didn't install them, had it done at Best Buy, so not 100% sure they were a perfect fit.
    Last edited by 86GTConv; 06-08-2011 at 11:08 PM.
    Mike
    1986 GT Convertible. Owned since 87. 189,000+ miles
    Medium canyon red metallic with custom charcoal grey/black two-tone leather interior
    Original stock 5.0 H.O. and T-5 manual
    Eibach pro-kit convertible springs

Quote Originally Posted by 86GTConv View Post
    I had JL's installed last year...no problems & sound great. I should note that I didn't install them, had it done at Best Buy, so not 100% sure they were a perfect fit.
    Cool thanks for the info! My refurbished dash pad should finally arrive tomorrow (after 7+ weeks) so I will try to take some measurements before dropping the coin on a set

I heat formed the A/C duct under the right speaker, and also the area of the dash hull under
    the left speaker to give me some more clearance so I wouldn't have to worry about it when
    it came time to choose speakers. This didn't have any bearing on the part of the speaker
    that sits above the dash hull. I did not have any clearance issues with the front speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ksteeda View Post
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

I heat formed the A/C duct under the right speaker, and also the area of the dash hull under
    the left speaker to give me some more clearance so I wouldn't have to worry about it when
    it came time to choose speakers. This didn't have any bearing on the part of the speaker
    that sits above the dash hull. I did not have any clearance issues with the front speakers.
    Thanks for the clarification

I bought the kicker front speakers and modified them so the tweeter wasn't as tall. Here's a before and after. I didn't like the original fit because they pushed up on the dash. Now they fit great and still sound great.

I've also got the 32.9 CFs in the front. I used a heat gun to gently clearance the areas under
    the speaker holes to give me more room for choices. For the rears, I've got the Infinity 63.9i's,
    but those are a bit of a chore to make fit. Had to modify the mounting brackets for the seat
    belt retractors, to lower them down 3/4" to get the backside clearance I needed. I also took
    a die grinder and opened up the plastic webbing just behind the carpet. Whoever originally did
    mine was really in a hurry that day...
    How did you modify the mounting brackets for the belt retractors?
    85 GT Vert

Past, 1987 GT 1980 Capri RS Turbo

The belt retractors attach to brackets, that in turn attach to the rear sills. What I did was
    remove the brackets, and re-bent and re-drilled them, so that the retractors would sit lower,
    and a bit more outboard. The distance between the new bolt holes and the original bolt holes
    is equivalent to the distance the original holes were to the edge of the bracket, so that the
    original strength of the brackets was not compromised.

You also have to make sure you do not lower the mounting height of the retractors to the
    point where the retractors themselves would hit the sill. There is about 3/4" - 7/8" to work
    with.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

The belt retractors attach to brackets, that in turn attach to the rear sills. What I did was
    remove the brackets, and re-bent and re-drilled them, so that the retractors would sit lower,
    and a bit more outboard. The distance between the new bolt holes and the original bolt holes
    is equivalent to the distance the original holes were to the edge of the bracket, so that the
    original strength of the brackets was not compromised.

You also have to make sure you do not lower the mounting height of the retractors to the
    point where the retractors themselves would hit the sill. There is about 3/4" - 7/8" to work
    with.

Thanks Jeff
    That's what I was thinking, but it looked like not enough room to bend and redrill the holes.
    I will have another look.
    85 GT Vert

Past, 1987 GT 1980 Capri RS Turbo

FEP Power Member

Default Pulled the trigger

I finally pulled the trigger and bought the Polk DB 651s 6.5 for the rear and Pioneer TS-A878 3.5 for the front. I'd love to put a great system in but I am way over my annual budget for my car this year and I think these will do. For the last several years the only thing that I've had to listen to are 50 series flows. Not bad sounding but sometimes I'd like to hear music!
    Now I have to decide on a head unit that fits, sounds good and doesn't look like it is from a space ship.

Thanks for all the help
    85 GT vert

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
    ... I'd like to hear music!
    Now I have to decide on a head unit that fits, sounds good and doesn't look like it is from a space ship.
    I know what you mean. I'm going to be installing a Kenwood KDC-MP245 that used to be in the Voyager. It is basic, easy to use, sounds good, and doesn't look like an arcade game.
    Project "WinBacK" 1986 LX Hatchback
    - CA car, 5.0 w/5 speed
    - Cobra 17x8.5's + Modded Mach1 Chin Spoiler + 83-84 Hood & Scoop/85-86 "Blackout"+ FMS Mass Air Kit+ MM Clutch Cable & Quadrant + Fiore Cable Adjuster + MM SFC's+ Wild Rides "Battle Boxes" + Explorer Intake, Converted TB & Injectors, 70 mm Mass Air Meter + BBK Ceramic Shorties + 2.5" Bassani O/R X-Pipe & Cat-Back Exhaust w/ 3" Tips + 3L27 w/ Carbon Fiber Clutches​(out of retirement) + Pistol Grip Shifter + 99-04 GT Front/00 Cobra Rear Disc Brakes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12