Close

Thread: CC Hit- damage

Default CC Hit-N-Run/ damage (UPDATED)

My CC has been in storage in an underground parking area for an apartment building (which I do not live at) for the winter. I went march to see it and put a new car cover over it. I returned on Monday to find that my car was subject to a hit and run. Part of the drivers side rear bumper/moulding were gouged, and the rear tail light partially smashed, as well as chunks of paint/stripe kit were missing. Currently I have the manager of the building searching through a months worth of videotape to try and find the culprit. Post Hit-And-Run police report, and after speaking with the insurance company, someone (associated the insurance company) coming to look at the damage, and give an estimate. This has been a most unfortunate incident. The car has been our family since new, and has been babied, and for the last few years much time has been spent working on it. The car was in extremely good shape inside and out, with the exception of a partially broken side body moulding, and a some scuffs on the passengers side rear moulding.

Being such a rare car, I am nervous to think about the time/money/parts needed to fix this damage. Besides cleaning it up/polishing/waxing it back to it's usual summer car show quality (where it usually spends a good portion of it's time, 1-2 local car shows/show and shines a week) what advice would you have for

A. Repairing the damage (I'm hoping I can go to the best body shop in town, and hopefully they can do something)
    B. Talking to the person who is coming to do an estimate in the car.
    Last edited by Zeb951; 05-02-2011 at 02:06 PM.
    YIPPY SKIPPY!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You are not your signature. You're not how many posts you have.
    You're not the content of your profile. You are not your avatar.
    You're the all-flaming, all-spamming crap of the forums.

While CCs themselves are rare, it's only the stripes, wheels, seats, grill, and lettering that are different from any other 83 Capri (or 84s as well). So, the taillight and rear bumper cover are as 'easy' to obtain as they would be for any other 83-84 Capri, and if you are willing to use used parts, fairly inexpensive. The stripe kit would typically be the most elusive aspect of the car, however, fortunately, it is available as a reproduction (I forget at the moment the company it is available from - search the forum). Now, if you're wanting NOS parts, that's a whole different ballgame.
    86 ASC Capri 'vert #0001
    86 ASC Capri 'vert 3.8 v6
    85 GPIV - The Official Pace car
    85 ASC Capri 'vert - black
    85 ASC Coupe - modified
    85 ASC coupe - roller
    83 Crimson Cat - V6
    66 Cobra replica

Check out this thread...

The company is Graphic Express, and there is a link near the end of the thread.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...crimson+stripe

Good luck!
    86 ASC Capri 'vert #0001
    86 ASC Capri 'vert 3.8 v6
    85 GPIV - The Official Pace car
    85 ASC Capri 'vert - black
    85 ASC Coupe - modified
    85 ASC coupe - roller
    83 Crimson Cat - V6
    66 Cobra replica

Here is the direct link to the Graphic Express 1979-1984 Mercury Capri Stripes and Decals page:

http://www.graphic-express.com/mercu...ri_1979-84.asp

Crimson Cat stripe kits are on the bottom half of that page.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

your car will be fixed. and will look great again. try to avoid work or paint on areas that were not hurt. i am sorry to hear this, very frustrating for you. damn shame.

The lady from the insurance company came for the estimate today. Most unfortunately, and not too surprisingly, I wasn't pleased with her assessment. Cash settlement, I find the parts, not a surprise at all, and not too concerned about that. Mostly upset that she totally ignored that the hatch did not close smoothly anymore (will close, but not as nicely), and that I guess I have to worry about the stripe kit myself. Some of the stripes do not match each other perfectly (I guess some are more "metallic", while others are more "greeny" gold). I suggested that this was probably due to small portions being replaced over the early years of the car, and then they would have been subject to more washes, more such bleaching, etc. She said I was completely wrong, and that that didn't make any sense.

At least the gouges on the bumper are apparently fixable by a body shop, although I guess I have to pay for half of that because portions of the opposite side of the bumper are also scratched. hmm.
    YIPPY SKIPPY!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You are not your signature. You're not how many posts you have.
    You're not the content of your profile. You are not your avatar.
    You're the all-flaming, all-spamming crap of the forums.

Any pics?

Was wondering how this turned out. Sorry to bring up the past

Mark, Im gonna guess it didnt turn out well. He hasnt posted since this happened.
    Stan
    1986 Ford Mustang Saleen #80 Gray/gray
    1986 Mercury Capri ASC McLaren Coupe#20 Black/silver, gone.
    1985 GT Silver/gray T-top car, gone
    1985 Canyon Red Turbo coupe, gone