Close

Default Sell 84 SVO for 85+ GT? :/

hey i was curious on peoples opinions on this subject,

i own a 1984 mustang SVO with jsut over 100k miles on it, runs drives and handles like new, fast, sporty, but not enough Torque for my liking, and instead of pouring money into it and getting it how i wanted it (i.e Bullit or cobra r rims, bigger turbo, little bolt ons) i would sell it and buy a 5.0L again, i have the car listed for 5500 and if someone came with the cash id let it go, but i was thinking about pulling the add and just keeping it, but then theres the thrill seeker side of me that wants the tire burning, torque machine 5.0L, its a hard choice....

Thoughts?

thanks a million,

Smithville Jake
    1988 Mustang LX
    1986 Mustang GT
    1985 Mustang GT
    1984 Mustang SVO

I'd keep it. It wouldn't take much to make that a fire breathing monster. Manual boost controller, FMIC.

Rob

Keep it, save up and buy a 5.0 too! works for me. I have both. The turbo is fun as a daily driver , and the 5.0 is a great weekend/cruise car(and great if I really want to goof off.) Love the turbo car for the handling and the gas mileage and I did what your thinking of doing. Sold an SVO to get a v8 again and missed the SVO.

So I saved up and now I have both!!!
    1967 mercury cougar restomod in progress
    1984 svo
    1984 gt 350 w/t-tops
    1984 gt turbo
    1986 mustang gt
    1986 capri rs 5.8
    1988 mustang lx 2.3
    1989 Lx convt 5.0
    1990 mustang gt
    RunAmuk Racing-proud supporters of the "Drive it like you stole it" series

lol Kudo's Runamuk im glad u got an SVO back, and SVT Rob any pointers on what to do first? this might throw u off but im only 17 years old and im on my 4th mustang, my dad was a diehard mopar man all his life, hes turning 50 this october, he still has his 68 cuda and his 64 440 dodge and 71 superbee, but he also has a 88GT and a 88 GT vert,

if u could give me a kind of "path" to follow if u would on what to do to get it up in Horse's that would be great, thanks!
    1988 Mustang LX
    1986 Mustang GT
    1985 Mustang GT
    1984 Mustang SVO

My Op I would keep the svo, they are more fun to drive, buy the 5-0 if you must it will cost you more to drive.
    IF ITS FORD POWERED YOU GOT TO LOVE IT

I've got the 5.0 and would love to swap that out for a 2.3t some day actually. As much as i love the ground pounding v8 there is something about the 2.3t's that I love. Power + decent gas mileage = win!
    Triple white 5.0l GLX convertible.
    -lots of little stuff done to it, just working on making it a nice fun DD for now.

There are quite a few people on here that would be more apt to pointing you in the right direction. LOL I've never had a turbo ford before, all of mine have been DSM's.

I believe there is a section just for 2.3t's on here, as well.

Manual boost controller usually costs ~$35, that's one good step. I hear those 2.3's are good for 18-20 psi, stock. FMIC will set you back a bit more, and require a bit more mechanical savvy when it comes to installing, but you'll see a cooler air charge and more power with it. A lot of people do the Ranger roller cam swap, those are good for a power pickup. After that, I really don't know much.

My SVO and a stock geared 5.0 will be similar in mileage. Mine allways has anyway.

As for the SVO, there are a lot of tweaks you can do to it, even being stock. This will bring up the power/tq. But you will never have V8 torque, it will allways be 'on boost' power. When the turbo spools, it smacks you in the seat, but before that, you may as well be driving a 2.3.

What about all the others in your sig, why not drive them for a V8 rush?
    85 SVO
    94 GT CMC#71
    65 Fastback

If you have an 85.5 or 86 I wouldn't recommend a Ranger cam swap. It's pretty much dead up top. Get one of Boport's cams and you'll be much metter off. IMO, you can get away with 17-18psi before octane starts becoming a problem.
    86 SVO 1E- Not stock
    2012 GT/CS M6 3.55's- Also not stock
    2003 Honda CBR 954- Old track toy

Quote Originally Posted by RichV View Post
    My SVO and a stock geared 5.0 will be similar in mileage. Mine allways has anyway.

As for the SVO, there are a lot of tweaks you can do to it, even being stock. This will bring up the power/tq. But you will never have V8 torque, it will allways be 'on boost' power. When the turbo spools, it smacks you in the seat, but before that, you may as well be driving a 2.3.

What about all the others in your sig, why not drive them for a V8 rush?

i only have the svo left, i sold or traded my dad the rest throughout time, i get them, usually with his help, then we end up trading,
    1988 Mustang LX
    1986 Mustang GT
    1985 Mustang GT
    1984 Mustang SVO

i have a '91 lx with trick flow h/c/i as well as an 85.5 svo. I am selling the 91 to buy a new car and keeping the svo so I think you can tell what i like! The 5.0 is torquey and faster than the svo, but there is something more fun about driving the svo especially since its rare and different.

Try this, find someone in the area with an 85.5-86 svo and see if they will give you a ride. I say this because I got a ride in a stock 86 and couldn't belive how much more tq it had over my 85 and even some 5.0 cars I have been in. While no it wasn't "right now" tq it was darn close at 3k rpms. So if the stock 86 pulls like you want, then get the 86 spec turbo with a 3" exhaust, CAI intake, and a mbc set within safe AFR and have fun. Check my links for my motor build and new dyno pulls on tuesday.

PS. After driving my svo this long I know my 82 RS is going to need alot more "right now" tq to be more fun to drive.
    If you blink at the end of the straight away you'll miss the twisties and what fun would that be!
    1982 Capri RS 5.0L
    Suspension Build http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...tion-and-Build
    1985 SVO 2A & leather. Stolen & Destroyed 2022
    Motor Build http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=63505
    Dyno stats and exhaust install http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...Dyno-d-finally
    My FMIC build http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...-amp-D-project
    Electronic boost controller and bypass valve
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-Bypass-Valve
    Opperation SVO Tunes http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...51#post1148551

http://www.turboford.org/faq/mods.shtml

http://www.turbotbird.com/techinfo/Mods/Mods01.htm

The 2.3 can get it done, just a little differently. It wasn't making that much less power than the 5.0's of the time, and can easily make more than a stock 5.0 with some easy mods. Really just depends on how crazy you want to get with it.

The last time I had my Capri on a chassis dyno (Mustang dyno FWIW), it made 347 hp (not too exciting) but 420 ft/lbs of torque (at 3800 rpm). The combo has changed a bit since then, but it's just as fun. For sure it's not that 5.0 it's on now torque, but that's actually what makes the 2.3 fun is the torque they make on boost. You really have to change your driving style to have that torque on demand, keep the rpms's up alittle higher and not loaf around, but it's there.

Heck, any more I drive my Capri daily with the boost controller off on the street, and just run against the 12 psi gate spring. It's enough to get me into trouble with just that.

Every time I have thoughts like you are, I find someones stockish 5.0 to take for a drive and really get persepctive on where the 2.3 makes me grin
    Bob Myers ©

84 Capri RS Turbo - Only a 4 banger - 1/8th 6.29@110, 1/4 9.87@137