Close

Default 78 zephyr 2.3 turbo swap questions

Hey guys,
    I'm planning on doing a 2.3 turbo swap in to my 78 zephyr box top with a I6 and 3 speed. I was wondering if anyone has done this swap and could give me guide lines or possible have a build thread. Also can anyone tell me what I need to do for this swap. I am also planning on putting in a T5 with it. Thank you for your Help.

If you have an I4 crossmember it will be a simpler swap mechanically. The I6 crossmember is slightly different, but I suspect there's enough metal on it to be able to make engine mounts where you want them if you don't.

For the T5, normal T5 swap stuff should apply.

For the engine controls, I'd try to take the whole donor harness.

The 2.3 and 2.3 turbo were both natural to the Zephyr over the years so it shouldn't be too hard a swap. You might want to look at the 1980 factory literature to get an idea of what Ford did differently for the factory turbo setup, but it really wasn't a whole lot.

Chuck W might have some more specific help for you.

Ok thanks for the info,
    I do have the whole harness already. Basically what I needed to know you did answer so thank you. I am familar that the cars did come with a four cylinder and some with the 2.3 turbo carb'd. Will the I4 motormounts still work if I got the stock ones from another one? I do know that both the n/a and turbo blocks are the same in the way they bolt up. So basically will getting the I4 crossmember and motormounts be all that I need?

Probably, and from what I understand the k-members are the same for the V8 also. So you might look for a later Mustang GT or V8 LX crossmember; 87-93 also give you access to better brakes and such. A 94-95 GT might give you the best of all worlds there (although I'm unsure about a crossmember swap from an SN95 to a Fox).
    I also don't know if the V6 and V8 crossmember are the same. I just know the I6 crossmember has different mounting areas; some of the V8 swap guys have modified the I6 crossmember to work. I think Stymees'mont is one, you might try searching for his I6-V8 mount swap info.

Quote Originally Posted by PstarD View Post
    78 zephyr box top with a I6 and 3 speed
    Nice.
    MF: Shoot pool Fast Eddie.
    EF: Im shootin' pool Fats. When I miss you can shoot.