Close

Shepperdw

Default 1983 Custom Fox Headlights.

So I have a mustang, it is a 1983 technically, but has the front end off a 1985-1986 Mustang. I am not sure if the headlight cases are teh one's from the 1983. I doubt it, but I am still not sure. I did not do this part myself. I do like the looks of the 1985 front end better. Would the headlight cases from the 1983 even fit in the front bumper of the 1985 mustang? I need to buy headlight COVERS, so I am not very sure. Any help would be much appreciated. Tell me if you need to see pictures of the front end!! I am not sure if the one's in my album show enough. Thank you for any assistance you might be abel to provide.
    Last edited by Shepperdw; 03-31-2011 at 01:13 PM.

Pictures would help, but from what you're describing, yes the headlight housings are the same from 83 to 85-86. The bumper covers on the 83-early 84's were generally the same physical dimensions as the bumper covers on the later 84's-86's. Therefore the header panels were the same, as well as the headlight buckets and housings.
    If they take my stapler, then I'll set the building on fire...

85 Mustang GT

Shepperdw

Quote Originally Posted by tbirdman View Post
    Pictures would help, but from what you're describing, yes the headlight housings are the same from 83 to 85-86. The bumper covers on the 83-early 84's were generally the same physical dimensions as the bumper covers on the later 84's-86's. Therefore the header panels were the same, as well as the headlight buckets and housings.

Yeah, here is a little closer pic of the front.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Shepperdw; 03-31-2011 at 01:08 PM.

Headlamp type is the same from '80 through '86.
    The outer lamps are H4656 (high/low).
    The inner lamps are H4651 (high).

'79 is different in only that it did not have "halogen" lamps (The "H" in the above part numbers.) Otherwise the part numbers are the same.

Both of the above 465x lamps are "seal-beam", i.e. the filament is sealed in the housing. When the filament goes bad, you replace the whole lamp. You can convert those type of lamps to separate housings and bulbs so that only the filament (in its own glass bulb) is replaced, not the housing. Those type of systems are called "sealed-beam conversion". In that case, housings and H4 bulbs would replace the outer high/low lamps (4656) and housings and H1 bulbs would replace the inner high lamps (4651).

Header panels are not the same. Header panels are broken down into three groups: 1979-82, 1983-84, and 1985-86.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 03-31-2011 at 01:10 PM.

Shepperdw

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Headlamp type is the same from '80 through '86.
    The outer lamps are H4656 (high/low).
    The inner lamps are H4651 (high).

'79 is different in only that it did not have "halogen" lamps (The "H" in the above part numbers.) Otherwise the part numbers are the same.

Both of the above 465x lamps are "seal-beam", i.e. the filament is sealed in the housing. When the filament goes bad, you replace the whole thing. You can convert those type of lamps to separate housings and bulbs so that only the bulbs is replaced, not the housing. Those type of systems are called "sealed-beam conversion". In that case, housings and H4 bulbs would replace the outer high/low lamps (4656) and housings and H1 bulbs would replace the inner high lamps (4651).

Header panels are not the same. Header panels are broken down into three groups 1979-82, 1983-84, and 1985-86.
    So, if I have the header panels from the 1985, I would have to have the headlight covers for the 1985 instead of the 1983? I think everything on the front is from a 1985, but I am not sure. Is there anyway I can measure this, or you can tell?

Shepperdw

I am really sorry guys. I meant to put headlight COVERS as to what I need to buy. I edited this, but I am really sorry for confusing you guys.

You need covers for 1985-86 Mustang (not Capri).

If you get GT Styling (GTS) covers, the part numbers are GT0215C (clear) and GT0215S (smoke).

Shepperdw

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    You need covers for 1985-86 Mustang (not Capri).

If you get GT Styling (GTS) covers, the part numbers are GT0215C (clear) and GT0215S (smoke).
    Thank you very much! Do you have a website link where I can buy this directly? I've been trying to browse through some used one's on ebay. I didn't find any covers in the NPD catalog I ordered.

Shepperdw

nevermind, I googled the number and found it on latemodelrestoration. I trust those guys.

Summit Racing (.com) has them for less than LRS.

Just put a "GTS" in front of the part number.

Shepperdw

It kinda makes me nervous ordering from them though because they don't have a real picture of the part. I trust you though.

Looking at Summit's "delivery and handling charge", their price is not so low.

They use a generic image for advertising. That's common. What you need to pay attention to, no matter where you order it from, is the part number itself.

Shepperdw

I'm probably going to place the order tonight. I'm in class right now (college, I'm 18, so still learning a lot about cars, have a pretty good background though.) I will look into the shipping charges tonight. LMR does in fact though provide exact product image, which makes me feel a lot more comfortable. I appreciate a good user interface on company websites that show you exactly what you are buying. It makes me feel better

so the GTS covers from say, an '84, won't fit on a '86, and vice versa?
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanPon
    many thanks to all you eco-hippies giving me dirty looks and helping me feel llike an overall badass rebel.
    Quote Originally Posted by PaceFever79
    I think one of the finer traits of a true car guy, is the patience to put a prized car away and just let it sit for a while rather than selling it when life gets in the way.

GTS shows the break down as 79-82, 83-84, and 85-86. The covers are very similiar between the 83/84 & 85/86, but they are different.

Trey

Shepperdw

Does anybody know if gts makes any sort of mounting system for this cover where you do not have to use automotive tape? I really don't wanna have to use tape on those.

The GTS headlights on my Pace Car use automotive tape for the brackets and then covers "pop" into the brackets.

The brackets are 2 U shaped channels that the covers sit in. If you look at the photo below on the right hand side you can see part of the bracket.

This photo shows the covers installed.

All of the covers for the Mustangs from GTS that I have used over the years have been virtually identical on mounting.

Hope that helps.

Trey

Question

I always wondered how the lenses attached to the brackets.

Has anyone ever had a problem with them coming off while driving?
    Project "WinBacK" 1986 LX Hatchback
    - CA car, 5.0 w/5 speed
    - Cobra 17x8.5's + Modded Mach1 Chin Spoiler + 83-84 Hood & Scoop/85-86 "Blackout"+ FMS Mass Air Kit+ MM Clutch Cable & Quadrant + Fiore Cable Adjuster + MM SFC's+ Wild Rides "Battle Boxes" + Explorer Intake, Converted TB & Injectors, 70 mm Mass Air Meter + BBK Ceramic Shorties + 2.5" Bassani O/R X-Pipe & Cat-Back Exhaust w/ 3" Tips + 3L27 w/ Carbon Fiber Clutches​(out of retirement) + Pistol Grip Shifter + 99-04 GT Front/00 Cobra Rear Disc Brakes

Mine have yet to come off while driving and I have had the car up to 85 MPH with them on.

I am sure at some point the speed and wind pressure from high speed driving might cause them to "pop" out of the brackets and fly off.

Trey

Shepperdw

Does the headlight covers come with the brackets int he mail, or do you have to order them separately?

Shepperdw

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Mine have yet to come off while driving and I have had the car up to 85 MPH with them on.

I am sure at some point the speed and wind pressure from high speed driving might cause them to "pop" out of the brackets and fly off.

Trey
    I do speeds faster than that on a regular basis. Has anybody ever had them come off on this forum? I'd like to know how hard to push it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shepperdw View Post
    I do speeds faster than that on a regular basis. Has anybody ever had them come off on this forum? I'd like to know how hard to push it.
    Anyone... Esco???
    Project "WinBacK" 1986 LX Hatchback
    - CA car, 5.0 w/5 speed
    - Cobra 17x8.5's + Modded Mach1 Chin Spoiler + 83-84 Hood & Scoop/85-86 "Blackout"+ FMS Mass Air Kit+ MM Clutch Cable & Quadrant + Fiore Cable Adjuster + MM SFC's+ Wild Rides "Battle Boxes" + Explorer Intake, Converted TB & Injectors, 70 mm Mass Air Meter + BBK Ceramic Shorties + 2.5" Bassani O/R X-Pipe & Cat-Back Exhaust w/ 3" Tips + 3L27 w/ Carbon Fiber Clutches​(out of retirement) + Pistol Grip Shifter + 99-04 GT Front/00 Cobra Rear Disc Brakes

Quote Originally Posted by Shepperdw View Post
    I would like to know where, when, & how you do speeds faster than 85 on a regular basis unless you are refering to a track event.

Will the covers stay on at speeds above freeway speeds, yes they probably will. The question would be for how long.

I know guys use them all the time in NASA and other road racing events that reach speeds easily double that of 85 MPH, but they usually hard mount them to the car to make sure that they do not come off and cost them a race.

The mounting hardware comes with the covers so there is nothing else to buy.

If you plan on running Autobahn speeds with your Mustang and for extended periods of time, I would highly recommend you hard mount the covers using either rivets or bolts.

Trey

Shepperdw

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    I would like to know where, when, & how you do speeds faster than 85 on a regular basis unless you are refering to a track event.

Will the covers stay on at speeds above freeway speeds, yes they probably will. The question would be for how long.

I know guys use them all the time in NASA and other road racing events that reach speeds easily double that of 85 MPH, but they usually hard mount them to the car to make sure that they do not come off and cost them a race.

The mounting hardware comes with the covers so there is nothing else to buy.

If you plan on running Autobahn speeds with your Mustang and for extended periods of time, I would highly recommend you hard mount the covers using either rivets or bolts.

Trey
    Lol, I am on the highway everyday going to college and work. I live in Arkansas, so the cops are kinda non-existant, or don't care. I've never had a ticket, promise.