Close

Default Convertible specific P/W schematics Vert wiring gurus needed!!

Does anyone have any 86 V8 convertible specific P/W wiring schematics ?

Im looking for someone that has vert (or maybe ltd since it had 4 power windows) specific schematic knowledge.

Im in the process of swapping a 86 sefi dash and headlight harness into an 84 gt convertible.
    I want to wire this car like it would have been in 86.
    The 84 power window harness got its power from a breaker on the passenger mounted starter relay(constant +12v)B/W wire. It then runs to another relay mounted behind the dash on the driver side(safety relay???) and changes to blue which runs to the power window master switch. That relay is switched buy a wire that comes off the fuse box (I believe #14)which is +12v with the key on. This switched wire is the same wire that the 86 uses for power windows but without a relay inline.
    It here any reason I couldn't eliminate the safety relay and run the wire from the fuse box directly to the Blue power wire that goes directly to the master window switch? Another option would be to use #14 as the trigger circuit as the 84 used,and use the B/w constant +12v power lock wire coming off the 86 fuse block for the power going to the relay. This car doesn't have power locks,so I'm not worried about losing the circuit.

If I were using the 5.0 sefi engine harness,it has a bullet connector that I believe is used specifically for the constant +12v that comes directly from the starter relay for the power windows. This wire isn't used for non-convertible sefi cars. This car is going to have a carburetor on it for the time being until I collect some more efi parts to do the swap.

I have already combed the 84/86 wiring schematics,and the 86 evtm and it really doesn't show much on the convertible wiring.

Any help will be appreciated.
    Chris
    1986 Coupe back home
    1988 Camaro SC vert.
    1977 Early Bronco

1991 5.0 lx Sold
    1988 5.0 Coupe Sold
    1984 GT Convertible Sold
    1986 Capri 5.0 Sold

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v4...CH/86%20Coupe/

Whats wrong with the one posted in the sticky at the top of this forum?
    MF: Shoot pool Fast Eddie.
    EF: Im shootin' pool Fats. When I miss you can shoot.

The '84 and '86 wiring schematics at the top are godsend as far as I'm concern but they are really hard to follow as well as read.

I've used them quite a bit for my SEFI conversion but the '84's wiring schematic is traumatic to use. Not all the connectors are listed or noted where they are located or used and having to decide what applies just to the carbureted V8 vice CFI V8, V6, I4 and turbo I4 really made me wish I drink.

I blame Ford for the wiring schematic layout but really do appreciate them being available here. Otherwise I would have been SOL.

Dean T
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

Quote Originally Posted by Dean_T View Post
    The '84 and '86 wiring schematics at the top are godsend as far as I'm concern but they are really hard to follow as well as read.

I've used them quite a bit for my SEFI conversion but the '84's wiring schematic is traumatic to use. Not all the connectors are listed or noted where they are located or used and having to decide what applies just to the carbureted V8 vice CFI V8, V6, I4 and turbo I4 really made me wish I drink.

I blame Ford for the wiring schematic layout but really do appreciate them being available here. Otherwise I would have been SOL.

Dean T
    I agree. The 86 schematic is great. The 84 leave a lot to be desired!!

The 84 was my problem,so I basically built my own harness off the 86 schematics. Everything works,so I am happy.

Mods. You can lock this one up.

Thanks,Chris
    1986 Coupe back home
    1988 Camaro SC vert.
    1977 Early Bronco

1991 5.0 lx Sold
    1988 5.0 Coupe Sold
    1984 GT Convertible Sold
    1986 Capri 5.0 Sold

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v4...CH/86%20Coupe/

The convertibles are an odd breed when it comes to the power windows. What you need
    are the diagrams for a Fairmont. The power windows in the 'verts are a direct lift from the
    Fairmont, and as you've discovered, are very different from the 2-door cars.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune