Close

Default need your honest opinion

I got my front welds on and i just want to know if you guys think it looks a little too extreme with the huge difference in tires sizes. to me i think it looks sweet. although driving with skinnies should be a new experience.

the fronts are 165/80R15
    the rears are 295/60R15

just hit me with thoughts or opinions!

Last edited by BM62391; 03-30-2011 at 07:03 AM.
    Brandon

If you ain't first your last!

Nottingham, PA now...from Perryville, MD...From Levittown, PA

Personally, if you were going to or from the track or a show they are fine.
    Just driving or daily driving, I think they are too much and too little.
    My name is Andrew
    1986 GT Convertible- 2nd owner
    1984 SVO-Impound Yard find

Neither here nor there

Which backspacing are your your rears? The first pic makes them look like there really hanging out.

not sure on the back space i want to say 4.5..
    Brandon

FEP Senior Member

Looks good, just dont try to be a hero going around corners and dont follow to close in the rain.

Yeah,actually think a 275 would be a better size in the rear. Fronts are fine. Been running them on the front of my 87 for years. Just no sharp corners above 35,lol
    putting together a little something special......stay tuned!

92 notch-WIP
    87GT-S Trim,4:10s,AOD=12.70@107
    89vert-sold
    84SVO-WIP
    84 notch-aka-FREAKSHOW
    85GT shell-for sale
    78 Zephyr-WIP
    86 Capri RS-WIP

Finally,the list of fox wants is complete!!!

i wont be driving it as much as i did last year, thanks you guys for the feedback
    Brandon

FEP Senior Member

I know some people think that the Weld "Draglites" are too common or have been around for too long, but personally, I think that they look great on Fox Mustangs. On my 85 Mustang hatchback, I have the 15x3 1/2" up front, and 2 pairs of rears, 15 x8" & 15x9", both with 5 1/2" B.S.& 9" slicks, & I really like them. The 5 1/2" B.S. tucks the tire under the rear wheel opening more, so the tires don`t stick out, although sometimes hammering of the inner wheel well is needed, depending on the tire width. And for such a lightweight wheel, you can`t beat them, pricewise. My buddy just ordered a pair of Weld Aluma Star 2.0 race wheels for his 64 Comet, and the 15x8`s are over $400. each at Summit! Thay are a bit lighter than the Draglites, but thats a pretty hefty cost to save a pound or 2.
    1978 Fairmont 2 door sedan, 428CJ 4speed. 9.972ET@132.54mph. 1.29 60 foot
    Replaced the FE big block with my 331/4 speed in my Fairmont, best 10.24ET @128 MPH.
    1985 Mustang LX hatchback NHRA Stock Eliminator 302 4 speed best in legal trim 12.31@107 mph, but has gone 11.42@115 with aftermarket intake, carb, and iron Windsor Jr. heads.New for 2012! 331 cube SB Ford, AFR 185 heads, solid flat tappet cam, pump gas; 10.296ET@128.71 mph, 1.37 60 foot.
    1979 Zephyr Z7, all original 302 auto, 2nd owner.

Needs a 5.5 B.S, then it'll look good!( like mine).

Last edited by svo6; 03-30-2011 at 12:17 PM.
    408 C.I.-Sleeper

IMO the draglites are only good for the track. But that's just me. The sizes don't look bad though. Maybe a full side shot?
    Derek Kuntz

2001 Ford Focus ZX3
    1982 Mercury Capri RS 5.0 - Sold

the tires look wide but everybody that knows Capris the rear fenders flare out so the rear tires arent sticking out further than the fenders. its almost flush to the fenders. no hammer needed here only when i have 4 people in the car does it rub
    Brandon

Neither here nor there

Quote Originally Posted by BM62391 View Post
    the tires look wide but everybody that knows Capris the rear fenders flare out so the rear tires arent sticking out further than the fenders. its almost flush to the fenders. no hammer needed here only when i have 4 people in the car does it rub

Flare or not, the fender lip is in the same spot Stang vs. Capri.
    The only advantage we have is styling

If a tire fits on the capri it fits on a mustang, and vise versa. Capri's don't have more room.

FEP Super Member
    Blog Entries

Looks fine if you like it....now driving, that's another story

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

I like 'em!
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

Quote Originally Posted by Hissing Cobra View Post
    I like 'em!
    I would like to take the counter point, I hate 'em.. sorry
    Rob

current cars:
    83 GT Convertible
    83 Project GT T-Top Coupe
    84 GT T-Top Hatch
    86 GT Hatch low mile car
    00 V-6 Convertible

all white cars!

I like the look
    here's to the freakin' weekend,I'll drink to that

I like the look of skinnies up front. I have run them for a year, no problems at all. As far as driving in the rain , or corners, lets take a look at my setup real quick. Only thing different right now is the rear tires, radial, vs drag radial at the time, buuuuuut.
    255/60/15 M/T et drag radials, burned down to about 3/32's. Spool, 50/50 shock, and heims joint rear control arms. Front end 165/80/15's on 3.5 inch wheels, no swaybar, 90/10's. This car handles just fine for what it is, took it through the Kancamagus highway like that, also no power steering, and my wife drove it home, twisties, hairpin turns, steep grades. Also drive it in the rain like that, no worries. I like the look. I like how it drives, requires driving and paying attention to the car, not the phone. But its worth it.
    79 Capri RS
    341 rwhp,348 rwtq 11.20@127

1939 Pontiac Deluxe 6. 73,xxx original miles. Barn find. Currently the secomd owner.

2013 Focus ST
    2012 Taurus SEL
    1997 F350

I think they look great ! I haven't driven a mustang that didn't have big N littles in over a dozen years. I love the look and I have no trouble driving anywhere or keeping up with traffic. The only think you have to do is keep a larger gap between you and the car in front then you normally would because the front tires have a tendency to lock up under hard braking.

I to am a fan of the skinnies up front...as long as there's real rubber in the back!

Skinnes and wide street tires look silly. People put skinny tires in the front cuz they dont weigh a whole lot and you dont turn much going down a drag strip (hopefully).

Skinnies are a statement that the car is used prodominately for drag style racing..to the point where it's a concern about weight transfer over driveability. But a pretty big contradiction to that statement is not having tires out back that will acually grip on drag style launches. Some people have two sets of rear wheels..one's with street tires-so they don't burn up the tread on $200-a-peice drag tires, and then the acuall race tires for when the car is acually being used for what it was built for.

If you keep the skinnes....switch to Mickeys!

Quote Originally Posted by svo6 View Post
    Needs a 5.5 B.S, then it'll look good!( like mine).

Dude WTF is sticking out of your hood! They make cowl hoods ya know in case you wanna tuck all that away somewhere!

Just kidding with ya..it looks sick from over here

Just my opinion, but that front tire is too narrow to be on that car on the street. I drove one of my Fairmonts home with a pair of those Mustang aluminum donut wheels on it - too sketchy for me, even driving normally around corners.
    1981 Durango (ends my 18 year drought of not owning a F/Z)

i drove it all night last night. i didnt have any problems. but i also wasnt going fast just cruising around. i appreciate all your feedback. i wont be driving it as much as i was last year, ill take one more pic
    Brandon

Brandon

I drive the wizz out of my mustang and it's got 165s up front and 275s in back and I don't have anyproblems keeping up with traffic. I can take any corner on any road going the speedlimit ( and well above the posted limits too shhhhhhhhhh). and my car has no sway bar and 90/10 drag struts just like all my past mustangs and I've yet to even come close to losing control. I've said this all along, huge brakes and wide tires all around are only enabling poor driving techniques. People will drive at the limit of their car's capabilities and sometimes a little over, If a car will stop on a dime then the driver will usually follow to closely. If it will corner on rails then people will take corners at an unsafe speed. Sorry for digressing but to the OP. I dig your car and it looks fantastic with those rims and tires.

Quote Originally Posted by 86_Notch View Post
    I drive the wizz out of my mustang and it's got 165s up front and 275s in back and I don't have anyproblems keeping up with traffic. I can take any corner on any road going the speedlimit ( and well above the posted limits too shhhhhhhhhh). and my car has no sway bar and 90/10 drag struts just like all my past mustangs and I've yet to even come close to losing control. I've said this all along, huge brakes and wide tires all around are only enabling poor driving techniques. People will drive at the limit of their car's capabilities and sometimes a little over, If a car will stop on a dime then the driver will usually follow to closely. If it will corner on rails then people will take corners at an unsafe speed. Sorry for digressing but to the OP. I dig your car and it looks fantastic with those rims and tires.
    thats what im talking about! it looks much better in person. the front sits lower than the rear and give it that rake affect. ive been driving it and i havent had any problems but i also havent hammered it around corners nor will I.
    Brandon