Close

Default Mustang Monthly article "Fox Revival"

The April issue has a good article by Donald Farr entitled "Fox Revival." What Mr. Farr did was interview several parts suppliers about what is happening relative to Fox Body Mustangs. The suppliers all note that interest in Fox Bodies is steadily increasing, in fact at least one noted it is their area of largest growth. Our own Matt Highley at FMR was mentioned.

One of the companies interviewed was NPD and the info coincides with the thread about NPD's new catalog.

I believe this information is good news for our hobby.
    Bob in Lebanon, TN
    79 original owner six cylinder coupe
    MCA Gold Card judge for 3rd Generation cars

Sweet. *crosses fingers in hopes that some more SVO parts will be made*
    2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport
    1984 Mustang convertible

FEP Power Member black1980fiveoh's Avatar

I still doubt we'll see many 79-86 Mustang/Capri parts.
    1980 Cobra http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2364382
    11.82@115 mph - 2015 - retired due to cancer
    1981 Cobra
    reborn with a lot of new go fast parts and time to make it look pretty
    11.80 @114 mph - 2016

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

I think it's great news myself. With these cars being manufactured for 15 model years and with the popularity in which these cars had when they were new, it's inevitable that the aftermarket restoration companies would jump on board at some point. Hopefully someday we can pick up a catalog and virtually replace anything, just like the older models.
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

I read that article as well, but Donald Farr made it sound like 1985-93 5.0 Fox Mustangs were the only cars that people were interested in. He also made it sound like nobody was interested in maintaining or restoring cars as they were when the rolled off the assembly line. Anyone that spends 5 minutes here at FEP knows that Fox Mustang aficionados vary from one extreme to another in terms of age and that all manner of Fox Mustang/Capri cars are being preserved, restored as well as modified. Reading the article made me feel like an entire segment of the Fox Mustang community was left out of the article.

I remember when I first got my 65 Mustang, the aftermarket for 1964-73 Mustangs was just taking off. Restoring cars was largely in the hands of professionals due to scarcity of new/replacement parts. These days, restoring a 64-73 Mustang is a snap, largely due to availability of parts.

Fox Mustangs are seeing a rise in popularity and more parts are being made available all the time. As more parts are reproduced, our job will get easier, but it's up to the folks that make and sell them to determine if the market will make it worth their while.

Not to slight FMR (I wish they had a catalog in print) or LMR, but the NPD catalog for Fox platform Mustangs is one of the best I've found during my recent search for parts.

Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini1999 View Post
    Not to slight FMR (I wish they had a catalog in print) or LMR, but the NPD catalog for Fox platform Mustangs is one of the best I've found during my recent search for parts.Bryan
    Having just spent 2 hrs online comparing prices A hardprint would be nice

Coming from a glorified rest stop on the Montanabahn

I'm still waiting for my new '79 bumper covers.

FEP Super Member
    Blog Entries

its a very nice start in the appreciation of our cars by the community of mustang enthusiasts. I really have to get my butt in gear and send them a letter and some pictures of my car and draft a nice article for them....just too busy with work and the family these days....ill try to get some exposure at one of the MCA National shows this year where MM is typically hunting for cars and stories. its a very nice start guys, personally I think there is about to be a huge flocking to these cars from guys like us that had them new in H.S. or college and "had" to sell them as we started our families and "tried" to grow up. We are now coming back to the cars we really loved and enjoyed and can now afford them. we'll see.

It's been said many times, the Fox is the 57 Chevy of our era.

It makes sense given it's popularity that nostalgia will only grow in time.

I was at the Poney trails event this year in Ocala Fl when NPD reveled the new catalog. They explained that a lot of the parts were not yet available but all should be within a few months of the catalogs reveal.
    1986 GT / 5 speed. 331 stroker, AFR 185 heads, E303, Scorpion 1.6 RR's, Trick Flow intake, 70mm TB & EGR spacer, 30 lbs injectors/MAF, Cold Air Intake, MSD Ignition, Ford Racing shorty headers, Flowmaster exhaust w/OR H-pipe, Mishimoto Aluminum Radiator, Black Majic electric fan, 3.73 gears, 17x9 Cobra R wheels, 255/40/17 Nitto 555 tires up front and 275/40/17 Nitto 555R out back. Hotchkis CC plates, Strange Adjustable shocks/struts, Cobra disc brakes, Ford Racing B springs

The cold hard brutal truth is that the interest is huge from 85-93.

79-84 is abysmal. You just won't see many repops for these cars.

I for one would have thought the early Cobras and Pace Cars would keep that segment strong, but from what I have heard, the vendors simply do not get calls for those cars.

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by negusm View Post

I for one would have thought the early Cobras and Pace Cars would keep that segment strong, but from what I have heard, the vendors simply do not get calls for those cars.

-Mike
    its even worse if you're a non-mustang FOX owner. the fox mustang has taken all the limelight, but the rest of the FOXes seem to be pushed aside
    1985 Ford LTD LX. 4 eyes, 4 doors-cobra powered
    2006 Ford F-150 Ashley/Smith special edition--the "daily driver"
    1986 ford mustang SVO--a man can always dream right?

Quote Originally Posted by negusm View Post

-Mike
    I can see this as "us" 79-84 owners have stopped calling. What is the point in calling as I allready know: "they don't carry it".

this wasn't a big deal when I was working on my 80 as I could find anything I wanted in the wrecking yards. Now I rarely see anything older than 86 and when I do, it is picked clean. So when I have the time to do my 81 Cobra, I know the part hunt is going to be aweful.
    1981 Cobra
    11.80 @114 mph - 2016

Quote Originally Posted by roush235 View Post
    The April issue has a good article by Donald Farr entitled "Fox Revival." What Mr. Farr did was interview several parts suppliers about what is happening relative to Fox Body Mustangs. The suppliers all note that interest in Fox Bodies is steadily increasing, in fact at least one noted it is their area of largest growth. Our own Matt Highley at FMR was mentioned.

One of the companies interviewed was NPD and the info coincides with the thread about NPD's new catalog.

I believe this information is good news for our hobby.
    Cool ---- and yes, I agree with you. It looks like I'll be back at the bookstore for this one.

Ya know, the people that work at the bookstore look at me funny when I go through all the copies of the magazine to find the best (or least damaged) one ---- but I keep magazines so I like mint copies.

Regardless. The parts are out there.

You guys have it really REALLY easy. I've dealt with oddball cars. A 1980 Capri Ghia with Vaquero interior and left hand drive conversion made on xmas eve is a BREEZE to find parts for today compared to a 1965 Falcon Ranchero back in 1993. Try going 10 years to find a gas cap and trim. The internet has really connected people with cars and parts.

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by black1980fiveoh View Post
    I can see this as "us" 79-84 owners have stopped calling. What is the point in calling as I allready know: "they don't carry it".this wasn't a big deal when I was working on my 80 as I could find anything I wanted in the wrecking yards. Now I rarely see anything older than 86 and when I do, it is picked clean. So when I have the time to do my 81 Cobra, I know the part hunt is going to be aweful.
    This is my thought as well. I've never thought of calling someplace about parts that they don't already have online or in a printed catalog. I think it would be even more frustrating combing local wrecking yards for parts, where there's a slim chance of finding what you're looking for.

At one time, Mustang II folks faced a similar problem finding parts for their cars, but there's aftermarket stuff for those as well. I think that ignoring 5 years of production due to the assumption that if nobody's bugging them for parts, the market doesn't exist for them. If it didn't, there wouldn't have been as big of a response when NPDs recent catalog release came out.

Bryan

I went through a lot of these issues when I was restoring my 69 Mach 1. Parts like doors just weren't available and I had to rebuild what I had. The only thing available at the time were the 65-68 parts. Now, just about everything is available for the 69-70 models. As time goes by and demand gets larger, the reproduction companies will start making the parts again. It's just a matter of time.
    1986 GT / 5 speed. 331 stroker, AFR 185 heads, E303, Scorpion 1.6 RR's, Trick Flow intake, 70mm TB & EGR spacer, 30 lbs injectors/MAF, Cold Air Intake, MSD Ignition, Ford Racing shorty headers, Flowmaster exhaust w/OR H-pipe, Mishimoto Aluminum Radiator, Black Majic electric fan, 3.73 gears, 17x9 Cobra R wheels, 255/40/17 Nitto 555 tires up front and 275/40/17 Nitto 555R out back. Hotchkis CC plates, Strange Adjustable shocks/struts, Cobra disc brakes, Ford Racing B springs

I whole heartly agree with the previous comment that the internet has made it much easier to find parts.

10 years ago I was limited to parts search of about 100 miles, now I can search the world for used parts and have it shipped to my door step. E-bay has been good for us guys that are fixing up cars but bad for good cars getting parted out.
    1981 Cobra
    11.80 @114 mph - 2016

Honestly, thats why my car is going to be a "restomod". Im going o have to go with 87-93 doors and the side trim....ugh the side trim!I have thought about getting another capri nose and cutting it up and putting 87-93 trim on it somehow, I know the lines arent right but I cant deal with having no trim on the sides of my car. which is why mine are horribly wavy and total junk
    ~Shawn

1979 Mercury Capri-5.0/C4
    2010 Cool Vanilla Cream Dodge Charger R/T
    1978 Suzuki GS750E
    1993 Ford Mustang, calypso green, 2.3 auto-sold

Having 30 cars rotting in your yard does NOT make you a collector. If its sinking in the dirt, sell it or grab a wrench.