Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your first car.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbawon View Post
    Oh shoot! I thought you meant "gave it away" as in giving it to someone else Umm... Darn, I can't get out of this, can I? Funny thing is, I was looking for something similar for a first car. I got real lucky with what I got though.
    Yeah growing up in affluent Orange County while listening to Social D, Dead Kennedys, Agent Orange while surfing and skating wieghing 150 lbs and being 5'10" having long white hair and drving a Dodge Colt while everyone had a BMW (think Beverly Hills 90210) did nothing to endear me to my classmates.

Senior year I got a 69 Olds Delta 88 with a 455 did a burnout and shut everyones mouth! That is until I got voted as having the ugliest car in highschool! Well we all got to get our 15 minutes of fame and lo, my name was in the yearbook!

Nothing cooler though than showing up to the beach with that car and having a couple of guys ask me where my board was and then opening up the trunk to reveal 3 Chris Kaysen boards from 5'8" to 6'0"! Ha ha, method to the madness!

FEP Super Member
    Blog Entries

my very first car in HS. a 1968 Ford XL 428. bought it for 100 bucks...didn't look like this when i got it. sold it just before heading off to school for 2200 bucks. it was a big car..always wanted a mustang, just couldn't afford one at the time...this car served me well and taught me a lot about working on cars, especially how expensive they can be to maintain and keep on the road.

I've told this story in the past -- and have the bruises to prove it.

My first car was a '70 Chevelle LS6. My dad gave it to me the day before my 16th birthday ---- and I took right to mom and told her that I didn't want it because it wasn't brand new.

Yes, as hard as it may be to believe, I was even more stoopid then than I am now.

Quote Originally Posted by 83glx5.0 View Post
    As the titles states lets see your first car.

Mine was a 72 plymouth Scamp 318.... sadly only lasted a few weeks with a 16yo behind the wheel.

That was a very sweet ride!

Quote Originally Posted by DRAGTOP89 View Post
    77 olds Starfire GT(think monza)3.8 yellow and black
    Luv those! No surprise there.

Quote Originally Posted by Truxton View Post
    1983 Cadillac Cimarron...
    Luv those! No surprise there, either.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffcrummel View Post
    while listening to Social D, Agent Orange
    Sweet!! I was mainly in to heavy metal but also the same music as you except i was racing BMX and street ridin. (use to serenade my girl with "she's a knockout" LOL)
    We were at a Social D concert in MPLS and a guy spit in Mike's face, the show stopped, he said back in the day i would asked this crowd to beat the pizz out of ya then take you out back and show you what punk rock is all about. LOL
    Me and two friends from MN went to Punk rock Bowling tourney & Show in las vegas last march it was awesome.
    No Longer a 4I Owner
    But Have way too much 4I stuff Collecting Dust.

FEP Power Member black1980fiveoh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mercury-man View Post
    My 1st ride was a '70 ford pick like this one:

Dan & Paula
    I learned to drive on a 71 f-100, 302 with zero options. A little scarey having the gas tank in the cab behind the seat!
    1980 Cobra http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2364382
    11.82@115 mph - 2015 - retired due to cancer
    1981 Cobra
    reborn with a lot of new go fast parts and time to make it look pretty
    11.80 @114 mph - 2016

This isn't actually my truck but my truck looked almost exactly like this one minus the badges on the fender and the grill was just a little different but you get the idea. It was a pretty clean white 1970 short bed chevy truck with a really detailed and warmed over 350 with a turbo 350 and dual exhaust. I worked a minimum wage job for 2 summers in a row when I turned 14 . I paid 800 bucks for it ( in 1990 ) and owned it before I got my license. Those were the days, gas was cheap and I loved the freedom of being able to get in my truck and go to the store or whatever !

Quote Originally Posted by DRAGTOP89 View Post
    77 olds Starfire GT(think monza)3.8 yellow and black
    Did it look like this? My parents new car (bought from Avis) circa 1978
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1983 Mustang GLX convertible - "Collette"
    2002 Ford F-150 XLT
    2008 Acura TL
    2003 Chevy Suburban
    2003 Ford Taurus GL SW

Bad picture but here is my first ride. An '86 LX with all of 88 horsepower from an N/A 2.3.

Couldn't even due a burnout from a rpm drop... Pitiful, but I actually wish I still had that car... Even sunk it in Pearl Harbor and brought it back from the dead!

"In God we trust, all others we monitor"

SVTOA# 3555

My 1968 Camaro. 327 CI, 2bbl, console delete, 2 speed Powerglide on the column. Stolen August 6, 1980, six weeks after my father suddenly died at age 50. (I was 19) Two of the most traumatic experiences of my life. I hope they're happy, wherever they are....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1983 Mustang GLX convertible - "Collette"
    2002 Ford F-150 XLT
    2008 Acura TL
    2003 Chevy Suburban
    2003 Ford Taurus GL SW

Nottingham, PA now...from Perryville, MD...From Levittown, PA

This is like my first. Same color, same hubcaps. Red interior with a bench.

Story: I was sacking groceries my senior year and saw a girl I knew mom driving it. It was her husbands work car. I said if you ever got rid of it, I want first shot. My buddy had a Zephyr wagon and I liked the Fairmont look. My freshman year f college, I get a call "why did Rosanne's mom just drop off a car and jeys at the house?" She gave it to me.
    My name is Andrew
    1986 GT Convertible- 2nd owner
    1984 SVO-Impound Yard find

Quote Originally Posted by stableboy View Post
    She gave it to me.
    Gave?

Gave??

Gave???

Dang! You can't beat that!

86 Grand Am LE. it was a fun car with a 3.0 V6, i thought it was great, in reality it was a turd, but pretty reliable for my high school years. sold it to buy my 90 t-bird and begin bleeding blue.

looked just like this one but was maroon, oh ya, it was a 4 eye too!!!
    original v8 AOD car For Sale
    1998 Mustang GT Vert

www.dslocum-photography.com

My first car was a lot like this one. 73 Duster. dark green with white Starsky and Hutch stripe. I added aluminum 5 holes before I traded it for a 71 Buick Skylark.

[/IMG]
    Last edited by 86asccoupe20; 03-29-2011 at 09:41 PM.
    Stan
    1986 Ford Mustang Saleen #80 Gray/gray
    1986 Mercury Capri ASC McLaren Coupe#20 Black/silver, gone.
    1985 GT Silver/gray T-top car, gone
    1985 Canyon Red Turbo coupe, gone

My first vehicle was a 1980 Ford F150 300 6cyl auto 2wd. I beat the living snot out of that truck but just could not kill it. My second vehicle was a lifted 1980 Ford Bronco with an '84 Mustang 302 in it. Loved this truck, wish I still had it, traded it for a '86 Trans Am
    Mike

1986 ASCMclaren #108
    stock short block, Victor EFI, 75mm TB, 3.08's, Borla cat-back, slot style MAF conversion, Gt-40p heads, TFS1 cam, 80lb injectors, 69mm turbo, Moates Quaterhorse, E85. 501/584 @ the rear wheels

First vehicle on the road was a 1986 Chevy heavy half ton 4X4, 350 4bl with a TH400 backing it up.
    Spent quite a pretty penny keeping the thing on the road, full tranny rebuild and a new truetrac in the rear, but the most expensive part was the motor; it didn't have enough power to spin up the HD torque convertor at any less than full throttle. Top speed was about 140km/h on a downhill slope with favourable wind :P
    When the next owner cut the rear u-bolts to put in lift springs, the old leafs all split in half and fell apart... Glad I didn't jump it too often

My vehicles owned before that, were a 1966 bronco 289 3 on the tree that was way too much work for me, a 1986 CRX that my brother destroyed the engine in and I sold, and my 1986 5.0 hatchback mustang that is still waiting for its second tranny.

1973 VW microbus, teal and white. Called it the "Vato Wagon"

Sold it after it busted the clutch cable one night when I was late for a date with the GF.
    Needed lots of work that an E2 in the Air Force could afford. Paid $800 cash, sold it for $500 and used that to buy the Beater! What a great car!
    Last edited by Wrightness; 03-29-2011 at 10:21 PM.
    -Bill
    "Beater" ('82 Capri No Eng/NoTrans)
    Wife's Project Car ('83 Vert Stang GLX No Eng/NoTrans)
    "Cinco" ('88 Hatch Stang LX 5.0L/Manual)
    "Bertha" ('92 Hatch Stang LX 2.3L/Manual)
    '13 Ford Flex Platinum (Hers)
    Husband & father of 3 girls

My 1st car was a 1985 GT 5.0 5 speed. Red with gray interior, totally stock down to the plug wires. The mufflers were rusted so i put some Dynomax super turbos on it. i would drive with the windows down and the heat up just so i could listen to it. I loved that car more than anything. Kissed a light standard on Dec 30, 1995 and wrote it off. Parted it out and sold it. I still know where the engine is and I'm buying it back right away so I can stuff it into something so it will live on.
    1985 Mustang GT-2R,1986 5.0,Tremec 3550,Spec Clutch,Pro 5.0 shifter,Edelbrock Performer RPM,Holley 650 Equal Length Shorties,off road h-pipe,Flowmasters, MSD 6AL,8.8 rear,Pony's.

Past Rides
    1985 Canadian Cobra 5.0 5spd RIP
    1982 GT Black T-top-please come home!
    Hauler
    2000 F-350 XLT CC 7.3 Powerstroke Power!

Quote Originally Posted by Durango View Post
    Oooh - I *LOVE* those dog dishes. I wonder if Stockton Wheel can make a set of 16x7s that will take those caps - haha
    Thanks, I love them too! A set of 16's would be cool
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

When I graduated from high school in '69 my dad bought me my first car. He spent $50 for a '58 Rambler Ambassador wagon. Probably the biggest POS you ever saw, but me and my friends didn't care. Wheels were wheels and we had many memorable times with that car.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

Quote Originally Posted by mmb617 View Post
    Wheels were wheels and we had many memorable times with that car.
    Amen. First car, no matter what it is, or what condition it is, is freedom. Freedom form what we did not even know at the time, but freedom none the less.
    79 Capri RS
    341 rwhp,348 rwtq 11.20@127

1939 Pontiac Deluxe 6. 73,xxx original miles. Barn find. Currently the secomd owner.

2013 Focus ST
    2012 Taurus SEL
    1997 F350

86 plymouth horizon turismo.
    1999 SE sedan - 5-speed, Amazon green with med. prairie tan interior. needs waxed.

1998 ZX2 - silver with gray interior. needs cleaned.

My first car was a 77 (I think) honda accord. I bought it for $50. It had 60k on it but it was so rusty. I patched it up, painted it, and it never wound up passing inspection. The thing had a 3 barrel carb and a manually shifted 2 speed automatic. It wound up getting vandalized and I parted it out. Then I bought my first roadworthy vehicle a 77 Toyota FJ40 landcruiser for $150. I drove the wheels off that thing for for about 6 months until the motor blew up. Then I sold it for $500. I always had wheels though. Even when "my" junk was broken my sister and I had a two tone gold and tan 83 camry we shared. That was the lamest car ever. And speaking of dumb things you do when you're young... When I was 17 my grandmother's husband offered me his old car. I told him I didn't want it. It was just an old ugly old mans car to me. It was a mint 64 Dodge Polara 2 door with a V8 and a 3 speed stick. Had I only known.

My first was a "72 Charger SE 400/4spd.

The color was same combo as 83glx5.0 's Plymouth Scamp.

It was like this one but had aluminum slots with N50/15s on the back,

Had this during my senior year of high school back in 79/80 .
    Bought it from an older guy in Reading Pa. for just $1400 , those were some great times .
    Amazed me how many girls needed a ride home after buying it.

I blew the main bearings in the first year, and practically gave it away to a cousin's boyfriend at the time. Wish I still had it
    Last edited by FloridaGrabber; 03-30-2011 at 08:43 PM.
    JP
    79 Capri RS 2.3t / 4spd (project)
    79 Pace Car 2.3T / 4spd (driving project)
    79 Pace Car 5.0/auto ( project)
    84 GT White 5spd T-Top (project)
    86 Tan/Tan 3.8/auto (daughter's project)
    87 LX vert Red 2.3/auto
    07 4.0 Grabber Orange 5spd (Modified Mustangs Nov.07 Cover)

First car in high school was a 71 AMC Hornet 4 door 258 six auto. It was a slug but it was perfect for a 16 year old. My dad picked it up for $50 and I drove it for 7 years before giving it to my neighbor.

My 1st car was a 1969 Pontiac Parisienne which was exclusive to Canada. It has a 350 and was HUGE!

My 2nd car was a 79 Mercury Monarch. I learned how to do bodywork, paint a car, and rebuild and engine (250 inline six).

My 3rd car was an '82 Mercury Capri. I still have it and it's a work in progress...23 years...but still in progress
    1982 Capri resto-mod ~~

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast