Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck W View Post
    Listening to some of you guys, I guess I'm not a "hot-rodder", since I could care less about V8's and muscle cars. My 5 drivable project cars and I would like to have a word with you.

To me it's about turning wrenches, fabricating, modifying, learning problem solving, building a skill set and enjoying the results of your labor. It's more important, in my opinion, to share these things with the younger set, than trying to make them think like we do and like what we like. Give them the skills, attitude and enthusiasm, and encourage them to follow their own path.
    Well put. My son chose the '66. He wanted something "not many other kids have". Safety-wise, yeah - I'd honestly rather have him in a Corolla. But because of his vehicle choice, we're making safety modifications and I'm really driving home the necessity of paying attention while driving.

One of the reasons I shot down putting a manual transmission in the car - at least for now. He's not ready for that. I am going to help pay for a good rack and pinion conversion - it's comparable in cost to replacing all the old steering components and will be safer. This project is going to take several years to become driveable. By then he should have enough experience in my Montana to be able to properly handle the Mustang.

He will be attending the BMW Street Survival course - BMWCCA and Tire Rack sponsor this - it's a $75 2 day course where teenagers receive personalized instruction in their own cars. It's not autocross - they are taught to recognize the limits of their vehicle and what to do in emergency situations. One of my older kids took it and I was impressed.

http://www.streetsurvival.org/
    1981 Durango (ends my 18 year drought of not owning a F/Z)

When I was 14 years old I already had a stack of car magazines well into the hundreds.
    But my love for cars didn't become real until one day I wandered into a local body shop
    that also did custom paint jobs on hot rods. The shop was run by a guy and his brother,
    one day they taught me to sand bondo (sly). And so began my learning. Imagine what
    would happen if a young kid wandered into a shop today?

I'm just saying, times have changed.

The street survival school is a great program. It's basically the same curriculum as the 1 day Skip Barber school I did back in 99. It is fun and if you don't know the limits of a car it will certainly teach you quick. When I was in elementary school I used to walk home. I lived about a mile away. There was a guy named George Barber who had a restoration shop between my school and house. My mother soon learned his phone number because I stopped there just about every day after school, sometimes for hours. I moved away in the 6th grade but I was hooked. I work in auto parts now and have for over a decade. Several of the guys I work with who have had some pretty nice rides in the past are now more entertained by the latest smartphone or video game. It's sad. And these are guys mostly in their 30's and 40's.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123