Close

Default Alignment Woes....

After installing all new suspension and brakes along with CC plates, it was time for the alignment. I figured I could just take it anywhere and have it done. Wow, was I wrong. National tire just opened a new store right around the corner from my house so, there is where I went. Only to find oout the car doesn't fit on their rack. Found out by knocking the exhaust on it and now i have an exhaust leak. Then,took it to Goodyear. It fit on the rack and the tech did his thing. He then showed me the specs and I showed him that the hood had to be lifted in order to set the caster and camber. He told me that the caster couldn't be set on Mustangs. I then told him that that was the reason for that CC plates. If he would have opened the hood, he would have seen them.

Is it really that hard to find a good alignment tech?

OK, I feel better now that I've unloaded all this. At least it's taken care of now.
    1986 GT / 5 speed. 331 stroker, AFR 185 heads, E303, Scorpion 1.6 RR's, Trick Flow intake, 70mm TB & EGR spacer, 30 lbs injectors/MAF, Cold Air Intake, MSD Ignition, Ford Racing shorty headers, Flowmaster exhaust w/OR H-pipe, Mishimoto Aluminum Radiator, Black Majic electric fan, 3.73 gears, 17x9 Cobra R wheels, 255/40/17 Nitto 555 tires up front and 275/40/17 Nitto 555R out back. Hotchkis CC plates, Strange Adjustable shocks/struts, Cobra disc brakes, Ford Racing B springs

most of those shop, only want to pay low dollar(wage) for there techs and think they can tech them ,there way to work on cars.
    well they get what they pay for.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    was in 3rd gear, right foot to the floor and Cones where flying!

1)who cares if you don't like my functional illiterate

2)if i write like a 2nd grader, isn't that still better than texting?

3)yes ,i'm a French-fry short of a happy meal.

4)Statistically speaking, six out of seven dwarfs aren't Happy

I hear ya. It still amazes me that he was just going to set the toe and push it out the door. Even after I had told them that I had just replaced all of the suspension and spindles. I had it that close by eye in my garage!
    1986 GT / 5 speed. 331 stroker, AFR 185 heads, E303, Scorpion 1.6 RR's, Trick Flow intake, 70mm TB & EGR spacer, 30 lbs injectors/MAF, Cold Air Intake, MSD Ignition, Ford Racing shorty headers, Flowmaster exhaust w/OR H-pipe, Mishimoto Aluminum Radiator, Black Majic electric fan, 3.73 gears, 17x9 Cobra R wheels, 255/40/17 Nitto 555 tires up front and 275/40/17 Nitto 555R out back. Hotchkis CC plates, Strange Adjustable shocks/struts, Cobra disc brakes, Ford Racing B springs

yeah it scares me how some people hire someone that has no experience. I have to have a aliment done when I get my car out due to I bought CC plates i i don't want to take it anywhere for that same reason.
    Jordan

current:
    82' Mustang GL 10.21@71 MPH 1/8 mile
    2007 Ford F150 Supercrew (DD)
    1969 ford bronco half cab (Off Road Project)
    Past:
    00' focus
    85' mustang LX
    79' F-250

I am getting ready to do this same job on my '93 with FRPP B springs and MM camber/caster plates. Fortunately, I have a Hunter alignment rack maybe 50 feet from my desk.
    1986 Black GT with T-tops

And this is why I try to do everything myself..

"quote" Then,took it to Goodyear. It fit on the rack and the tech did his thing. He then showed me the specs and I showed him that the hood had to be lifted in order to set the caster and camber. He told me that the caster couldn't be set on Mustangs. I then told him that that was the reason for that CC plates. If he would have opened the hood, he would have seen them.

And all i have is a caster camber guage from longacre and a measuring tape ..(lotsa stock car alignments)

Quote Originally Posted by gbranton View Post
    Fortunately, I have a Hunter alignment rack maybe 50 feet from my desk.
    Now that's just not nice.

Quote Originally Posted by nuckinfutzracing View Post
    And this is why I try to do everything myself..

And all i have is a caster camber guage from longacre and a measuring tape ..(lotsa stock car alignments)
    Me too, just don't have an alignment rack, or a CC gauge for that matter.

well if you can get down south the front end guy at Maroone Ford of Fort lauderdale can do it. he has a turbo 4 banger mustang with cnc plates of his own. shoot he did the alignment(mine is stock) from memory as the rack didnt have stats that old in it.
    tell him ryan sent you.
    02 F150 Lightning
    82 mustang gt

Drive out of town and look for an old run down garage with Alignments
    hand painted on a wooden sign out front. That's the shop you want

I had eyeballed mine back in 06 after replacing fr/rr control arms, springs, shocks, tie rods, camber plates, subframes, etc. all in one shot. The wheel was off a little but it drove fine and I didn't care about the tires on it at that point. One day I was at sears picking up a battery and asked them if their alignment rack was open. It was so I had them align it. They screwed it up so bad it was scary to drive. They had one camber plate pushed as far forward for negative caster as it would go and the other one all the way back where it should be. The camber was about 2 degrees on one side and probably 1/2 a degree on the other. Yet the printout from the rack said it was perfect. I was fuming! I wound up getting my money back and I used an SPC camber/caster gauge and a few tape measures to do it myself. I had to redo it when I changed spindles last year but I've never had an issue with it wearing tires and it tracks perfect. Max positive caster and 1.25 degrees of negative camber with 1/8" toe in.

Quote Originally Posted by gbranton View Post
    I am getting ready to do this same job on my '93 with FRPP B springs and MM camber/caster plates. Fortunately, I have a Hunter alignment rack maybe 50 feet from my desk.

Did mine about 2 years ago, same here!

I've been meaning to invest in these so I can do my own alignments.

Fastrax Caster/Camber tool
    http://www.eastwood.com/fasttrax-cam...ter-gauge.html

Fastrax Toe alignment attachment
    http://www.eastwood.com/fastrax-adap...wheel-toe.html

I'll probably buy them for this year's spring prep.

Quote Originally Posted by PaceFever79 View Post
    I've been meaning to invest in these so I can do my own alignments.

Fastrax Caster/Camber tool
    http://www.eastwood.com/fasttrax-cam...ter-gauge.html

Fastrax Toe alignment attachment
    http://www.eastwood.com/fastrax-adap...wheel-toe.html

I'll probably buy them for this year's spring prep.
    I noticed those a while back and wondered if it was worth the investment. Two alignments would pay for the gauges. I have just never talked to anybody that has used them to see how they work. I think it might be worth looking into.

I have not tried this myself but I intend to some day.

http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=931155

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

FEP Power Member

So true...
    Original Member of 'The Anti-Cowl Hood Club' and 'The Ten-Hole Mafia'.

That is such a true statement! Unfortunately, Central Florida is so commercialized, we don't have that option. If it's not a chain, it ain't happening. I wish I could find a shop like that but, they've all been run off by the big chains.

Alignments are about the only thing that I don't take of myself. And, seeing some of those tools mentioned earlier, they might be a thing of tha past for me too.

Have a alignment rack in the back yard- Been doing them for 20years come see me at work in Ann Arbor or home will set you straight.sorry

At work doing 4springs on a 77 T-bird that the springs where torched/heated and the frame sits 2inchs off the ground Should be fun, should get some pictures tuesday before the fun starts.

I use the method in the link from the Corral. No special tools required although they sure make it easier.
    Marlin
    1993 Orange GT with 363 From FORDSTROKERS.
    1992 Turbo GT
    1991 2.3
    1988 LX
    2013 F-150

I wouldn't have paid the bill until alignment was correct and caster & camber was what u wanted!
    I took my car to the ford dealer i used to work at. if they have a body shop they should have a decent alignment guy.

LOL the guy that did my alignment was legally blind in one eye and did a better job than the goodyear you went to LOL
    No Longer a 4I Owner
    But Have way too much 4I stuff Collecting Dust.

I got real lucky at my local Sears.when I drove it up the tech said he hoped I put CC plates on it when he saw how much lower it was.He did a perfect job on it.
    82 GT. Mods so far. 331 stroker,Eagle rotating assy.E cam SRP pistons,World Prod.Roush heads,P.P. crosswind intake,Holly 600 carb,subframe connectors,king cobra clutch,8.8 rear,3.55 gears,T5 trans,Hurst shifter,and more to come.

I hateee having to deal with alignments. one of the few things i cant do myself of my cars...
    Les schwab pisses me off more than anything

I dont understand how caster/camber plates work compared to just stock though..
    It is adjustable when its stock, so what do the plates add?
    Sorry for the stupid question, just one of those things ill end up buying

-Vance
    Still got the '80 capri. Covered and kept in storage until i finish my IBEW apprenticeship and move back home. In the meantime I'll lurk around here or you can catch me on Powerstroke.org OR Fullsizebronco.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vannnce View Post
    I hateee having to deal with alignments. one of the few things i cant do myself of my cars...

-Vance
    CC plates allow the proper Caster/Camber to be achieved in lowered cars, or for the Caster/Camber to be set to performance settings for cars that get raced and also they allow the use of front coilovers.
    CC plates have alot more adjustment than your stock plates, also they are not riveted in place for quick adjustment if needed

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2.../castercamber/
    Last edited by theemustangman; 03-31-2011 at 07:00 AM.
    No Longer a 4I Owner
    But Have way too much 4I stuff Collecting Dust.

Quote Originally Posted by Vannnce View Post

-Vance
    The stock plates only allow for camber adjustment and not caster adjustment.