Close

Default Front speakers that fit the Fox

I am trying to keep my 85 GT convert as original as possible and while I am keeping my original stock head unit, the speakers had to be replaced. I spoke to Crutchfield and according to them there is nothing available that will fit under the dash. I did take a chance and ordered a pair of 3.5" Polk Audio and while they did fit...it made the drivers side speaker cutout bulge a bit and I was concerned it would eventually cause a problem with my dash top.

So...I did some research on measurements and purchased a pair of Pioneer TS-A878 3.5" and they fit perfectly. So if anyone needs front speakers for under the dash, go with the Pioneer TS-A878 3.5" and you will get a perfect fit without any modifications. I paid $41.50 for them on ebay including shipping.

Any questions let me know.

Rob
    1985 Mustang GT Vert
    Factory Medium Canyon Red, original top, gray leather, 5-speed, stock premium sound, Flowmaster 40's, BBK x-pipe, MM SFCs, polished 10 holes, Enkei black mesh, 3:73's

Past Rides
    '82 GT
    '84 GT
    '89 GT
    '90 GT
    '96 GT
    '00 GT vert

FEP Power Member

This is good information, thanks for posting. Did you happen to measure the height/depth of the speakers?
    85 GT vert

FEP Power Member

Thanks
    85 GT vert

Good info. Thanks
    Tom

CAMMED & SLAMMED! For more build pics and updates: http://www.facebook.com/SINISBuilt

For being "BUILT not BOUGHT" I am still broke!

86 50CPRI

I put some Blaupunkt 3 1/2 in my Capri years ago. I dont recall having to modify anything to install them. As I recall those older ones were only rated at something like 30 watts. It appears the newer ones can handle a bit more.

I used some Kicker 3.5" speakers for the dash. Picked them up at Jack's Stereo for ~$35.

Here is the full specs for those TS-A878 speakers for you audiophiles.

Size 3-1/2"
    Max. Music Power (Nominal) 60 W (15W)
    Cone Material IMPP
    Frequency Response 60 Hz to 28 kHz
    Sensitivity (1 W/1 m) 88 dB
    Impedance 4 Ω
    Crossover Frequency ―
    Mounting Depth 1-3/8"
    Cut-Out Dimensions 3"
    Last edited by kj_80Cobra; 03-25-2011 at 10:57 AM.

In case anyone is researching, those speakers are still available, I just got a set from Amazon for $33 (free shipping). They fit perfectly and sound good.

The 3.5" JBL GTO series, although pricey, looks tempting.
    If the TS-A878's disappeared..

http://www.jbl.com/estore/jbl/us/pro...larProductOnly

I used infinity Kappa's in the dash, fit just fine and sound amazing
    1979 tangerine capri, 40k miles, sn95 8.8, spindles, eibach v8 springs, caster camber plates, manual steering and brakes, Lincoln master cylinder, rebuilt 2.3t/t5 from 85 tbird, nothing much!

New User

Good to know. I have been test fitting a few different ones in mine to find some that will fit under the pad before I put a new dash in and learn the hard way. So far most have been too tall, especially on the drivers side where magnet clearance is tight. I considered clearancing the underside of the dash pad but afraid it will cause a new one to crack right away.

I bought 40 amp ones from metra since that was all I could find, they did not fit. Thanks for the pioneer info.

I was having the same problem of fitment with a pair of kickers I bought and a few people said infinity as well. I bought a set, wired them up with my pioneer amp and it sounds great for them being in the dash.

best of luck

I bought those same Pioneer speakers for my '83. The car is still in bodywork so I haven't installed the speakers yet, but I should be installing the rest of the interior by July or so.
    1983 5.0 GT convertible. Restored 2011 - 2014

Quote Originally Posted by 86 50CPRI View Post
    I put some Blaupunkt 3 1/2 in my Capri years ago. I dont recall having to modify anything to install them. As I recall those older ones were only rated at something like 30 watts. It appears the newer ones can handle a bit more.
    Blaupunkt huh, Holy Cow Pete, I'll bet they sound great in that Capri.

Quote Originally Posted by In2Fords View Post
    I used infinity Kappa's in the dash, fit just fine and sound amazing
    I installed the same in my 82 Capri, but had to do some slight massaging to get them to fit because of their depth.
    Ron
    I never seem to get the nut that holds the steering wheel fixed

Default went with JBL 3.5" dash speakers

Notes:
    Been a couple days since installing two new 3½" JBL/Harmon GX302 dash speakers.
    No doubts about final choice. 302 is a Ford number. As is the 2.3Ω spec. Good price.
    Considered JBL GTO 329's, but had a concern about fit under dash pad and it's higher sensitivity spec for this install.
    Alternate choice were the Pioneer's, but the speaker looked too fragile and of slightly older vintage design.
    These are a perfect fit, no mods. Noticeably clearer quality sound. Goal is SQ not SPL.

For the record:
    Ford 25w F8AF/XW7F-18808-EA/CA's in rear. External amp 50w x 4. Gain set at approx 1/4 for both f/r.
    1993 Ford Din M100 series non-cassette factory radio connected to amp high level input. No subwoofers.

Retired the 14 year old 'Made in China' speakers. Very good quality.
    Still work fine and have held up very well, except for both the whizzer cones recently coming loose.
    The JBL GX 302's box says 'Made in Vietnam'. Am real happy with them.
    They come with a coil of narrow foam strip, which installs on the speaker frame, dash side.

After initial adjustment, spent hours tweaking the external 4 ch amp f/r gains and front crossover setting.
    Settled on 155hz high crossover for the fronts. The rears are set to play full range.
    Variables like factory radio/speaker characteristics/capabilities at different volume/gain settings, different genres of music.
    Radio bass/treb fade/bal settings are straight up.
    Max clear output from this factory radio unit is about at 1 o'clock volume.

Current radio installed is the top unit.

Old and new:

Noticed dash cracks. Goop should take care of that. Reinforcing these may cause cracking elseware in a bad spot?
    The later model factory center dash reinforcement brace was retrofitted in the 80's. 1979 had none.

Last edited by gr79; 09-04-2015 at 02:06 AM.