Close

Default Megasquirt tune $$

All you guys running MS, just wondering how much you paid for a tune?

I got quoted $1,000 to tune and do a couple (2-3) dyno runs. Is it just me or does that seem a little pricey??

I've never used MS but a grand for a few dyno pulls and tuning is rediculous! How much time are they planning on spending in their?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Barker View Post
    I've never used MS but a grand for a few dyno pulls and tuning is rediculous! How much time are they planning on spending in their?!?
    If you ever get a chance to look at megatune or tunerstudio for MS then you would understand why it's so much. Some guys spend days mayeb even weeks tunning to get it perfect.

To the OP: I would try to find a base tune to get you started and then get a good friend to help you tune while you drive. Tune on the safe side using a Wideband and once you have it ball parked then find a shop to tune it.

To install a complete fresh tune is not plug and play for the MS. There is A LOT of info to program in before you even begin tunning.

I'll have that chance with Tunerstudio in a few weeks when my PIMP gets here.

I have a couple of base tunes from when I started with mine. When you get it from stinger it should come with a base tune to get you started. He also has a nice write up on his site. The only major changes you should have to make will be too the VE table. You will do this with the auto tune feature in tunerstudio. You will have to make some manual changes to the VE table to smooth the transitions. You may have to make some changes to the timing table when fine tuning. Just make small changes saving each one so if something is not right you can fall back to the previous one.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyegt View Post
    If you ever get a chance to look at megatune or tunerstudio for MS then you would understand why it's so much. Some guys spend days mayeb even weeks tunning to get it perfect.

To the OP: I would try to find a base tune to get you started and then get a good friend to help you tune while you drive. Tune on the safe side using a Wideband and once you have it ball parked then find a shop to tune it.

To install a complete fresh tune is not plug and play for the MS. There is A LOT of info to program in before you even begin tunning.

Where does one find a "base tune"? and im the most tech/car savy one of my friends by far-and this is WAYY above my head soo having a friend doing the tuning while i drive is out.

And DanielFrew-I dont have a stinger megasquirt i have a DIYAuto tune MS 2 v.3 "plug and play" i bought it about 6 months before i knew stinger was making one =p

Let me know what version you have and your email address and I will see what I can do for a base tune. Are you going to use the dizzy, TFI and single coil? What mods do you have?

Dan

FEP Member

Thats way off for tuning a ms style system. If you have the car running well enough to drive it to a shop I would say a full tune with a few dyno runs should run you not more then 500. All you are paying is labor and most shops for this kind of work are less then 75hr and most being closer to 50. Bottom line if they know what they are doing they can give you a solid and safe tune in less then 10hrs time.

Hell the tuning is pretty easy once the squirt is up and running. I used the tuner studio program and had it dialed in other the cold start in less then 3hrs. Took like 3 weeks to get it to start but thats what you get sometimes with these kind of systems.
    500+rwhp svo
    My project

Its DIYautotune's MegaSquirt 2 v.3,..(im assuming the "v" stands for version?)
    email address is danb525@yahoo.com
    Im using the stock igntion/tfi
    As far as mods goes,...40 bob custom inline intake manifold with 65mm tb, 42lb injectors, La3 ecu and big vam (for now) 50 trim t3/t4, ported and externally wastegated E6, 38mm stinger wastegate-open dump tube, 3in stinger elbow, 3in stinger down pipe/ mid pipe, borla XR-1 muffler, Hallman manul boost controller, big front mount intercooler, racer walsh adjustable timing gear pulley, bbk 255lph fuel pump, k&n cone filter, hks ssqv 3 blow off valve, new motorcraft plugs, distributor and wires, 135amp alternator, and i think thats it? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DanielFrew View Post
    Let me know what version you have and your email address and I will see what I can do for a base tune. Are you going to use the dizzy, TFI and single coil? What mods do you have?

Dan

Daggysvo-i was thinking the same thing,...$500 for a tune would be pretty reasonable

I sent you an email. When I asked about the version I should have been more clear. I was wondering what firm ware version your had.

Dan