Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

They won't disappear, that's why there are collectors...who own very valuable cars...simply because there are a limited number of them left. In the future, someone will be having this conversation about the Coyote cars. Meanwhile, there is the poor old Mustang II which almost nobody cares about. Sad little Mustang.

Meanwhile, there is the poor old Mustang II which almost nobody cares about. Sad little Mustang.
    Yesterday 08:52 PM
    I hated those unlucky crappy little econo cars when they came out but over the years the look has grown on me and I'm thinking I should own one with one huge honkin v6 motor....
    Have
    1982 Mustang GT with 79,000 miles on it.
    2006 Cadillac DTS loaded with all the toys...
    Had
    55 Chevy 2 door sedan
    62 Valiant
    63 nova SS 327 4 speed
    66 Impala wagon Rally green with a white top 327 auto
    And many more

Sorry guys I got the pics taken of the car, but went home on an emergency this last weekend, I will try to get them up tonight.

I think after reading all of this, I honestly don’t know what to do for the colors, and to top it off there are not a lot of donors arnoun here so finding replacement parts isn’t that easy. I might start by buying some seat covers for the seats… that way I can have them in Gray if I want, and see what it looks like.

as long as it doesn't turn out like this one......

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ght=i%27m+love
    That won’t happen ha ha.

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Sorry that we did not make your decision any easier!

Ultimately it's your car and only you need to be happy with your decisions.

With that said, keep in mind that if you are not the type to keep cars forever, then at some point you will want or need to sell the Mustang and then your choices can either be a help or a hinderance to selling it.

Honestly you are in the same situation that so many of us are. Your car is probably not a super rare, unique, priceless jewel that will be sought after by all Mustang enthusiasts. So build what you want and enjoy the heck out of it. If the color combination is not to your liking then change it or sell the car and find what you like instead.

I could go on for hours on "what if"ing this to death. If you really like this car, then build it the way you want to and don't worry about what anyone else says. If your heart really isn't into it, then you might consider selling it and find another Mustang that is really more to your liking or tastes.

Trust me, don't build a Mustang that isn't really what you want, ultimately you will not be happy and then what is really the point?

Hope this helps with your decisions. If not, then I am sorry I wasted even more bandwith.

Trey
    This seems like along the lines of what a few of you are saying, I think we are leaning toward color change, and just going to not go too crazy and get something that I really can enjoy!

I’ll get pics up tonight!!

back to the OP.

do what you want its your car. people will always love it/hate it no matter what. im sure there is a fair amount of people on here who despise my car. i have a 79 cobra with a 85/86gt front end on it. but theres a reason for that. my car sat noseless for over a year because the old nose was warped,cracked,and torn. the only nose i could track down was a 85/86
    Build your own dreams or help someone else build theirs!

67 Mustang Coupe-Rusty Parts Car
    79 Mustang Cobra- Garage Art/Project Car 11.3@118mph on a 150 shot
    84 Mustang Gt- Bolt On Fun Car
    97 Wrangler Sport- Lifted on 33's - Trail Rig
    08 Mustang Gt- Bolt Ons, 12.89@109

FEP Super Member

My motto is typically "do the best you can with what you have."

I personally like the blue and red interiors best, because they are kind of dated in a classic type way. I used to hate them, but over time they've grown on me.

Maybe it would be easier to buy replacement pieces and dye them to match the current color?

Either way it will be better than a busted up interior
    Last edited by mattquerio; 03-21-2011 at 03:27 PM. Reason: grammar
    Former Foxes:
    1983 Fairmont Futura 4dr
    1986 Mustang LX 2.3 4 speed
    1985 Mustang GT
    1985 GT - 357w, T5, 8.8 w/ 4.10's.
    Best ET 13.5639, Best Mph 102.39
    1988 LX 5.0 AOD notch, bone stock no options except A/C
    1980 Mercury Capri RS Turbo, 50k mile survivor.
    1987 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe....ratty but fun.
    1992 Mustang GT convertible 85k from original owner

Quote Originally Posted by mattquerio View Post
    My motto is typically "do the best you can with what you have."

I personally like the blue and red interiors best, because they are kind of dated in a classic type way. I used to hate them, but over time they grown on me.

Maybe it would be easier to buy replacement pieces and dye them to match the current color?

Either way it will be better than a busted up interior
    I agree with Mattquerio here in regards to interiors. In my younger years and early Fox days, I hated the red, blue, and even the beige interiors. If it was not black or gray I did not want it! I actually bought a couple of Mustangs to fix up and then got rid of them because they had the "wrong" color interiors. I really regret that now, because a couple of them would be really neat/cool cars today.

As so many have said and I completely agree, It's your car do with it what you want and what you can afford!

If you really don't like the blue interior and want to change it out to gray then do it. I am sure you can recoupe some of your money by selling your blue interior to members here that need it. I know I have some gray interior pieces left over from other builds and might be able to help you out.

If you want to change the exterior color, then go for it. The only piece of advice I will give you on a color change is do it right or don't do it at all! That's not meant to sound condescending, but there is nothing worse in my mind than seeing a cool looking car/Mustang that has a great paint job on it and then they pop the hood, door, trunk, or whatever and you can see the original color of the car/Mustang.

A color change means everything, jambs, edges, underside of the hood, engine bay, inside of trunk, etc.! Definitely more money in the long run, but again if you are going to do it, do it right! If you ever decide to sell the Mustang and you did not do the complete paint job, it will come back to haunt you on the selling price!

Trey

Alight everyone as I promised(a little late) here are some photos of the current state of the fox, but hopefully there is some hope for it after a little elbow grease.

As you can see in this photo the pass headrest is busted up, as well as the seatbelt is not retracted

There they all are, the car seems to be in reasonable shape from the photos but is has quite a few bumps and bruised
    Last edited by ISUzj; 03-23-2011 at 07:16 AM.

There is still lots of good potential.

13 Dodge Dart
    09 Shadow Sabre
    08 Caliber
    05 Aztek
    02 Avalanche
    02 Thunderbird
    01 Cadillac ETC
    98 Explorer
    96 Suzuki X-90
    89 Fleetwood
    89 Continental
    88 Town Car
    86 Silverado
    84 Fiero
    83 Town Car
    82 LN7
    82 EXP
    80 Mustang
    65 Continental
    62 Galaxie 500
    54 Packard

Stock never goes out of style.

I need to send you photos of a couple of my cars to show a couple of bumps and bruises!

That looks pretty darn good from here. I know pictures can hide some flaws, but I think you have a pretty good start there.

If I were you, I would clean everything up, touch up, respray color as needed. Fix the seat belt (do a search here, there's some tech), and probably replace the dash pad.

Then I would turn my attention to the exterior. Make your repairs, repaint, touch up, etc. to make a nice looking daily driver.

This should allow you to keep the costs down and keep the car on the road as much as possible. Once you are pretty happy with the visual condition of the Mustang if the colors still have not "grown" on you, then consider selling it and finding something more to your liking.

If this scenario has no appeal, then modify away and change your interior and exterior to your favorite colors and have a blast with it! You can probably sell your unneeded/unwanted parts here to members that are dying for blue interior pieces.

Trey

Pretty good looking project. I'm partial to keeping cars stock or near-stock, though tasteful mods are OK with me. I like the blue/blue combination on your car, if it was mine I would keep it those colors.
    Bob in Lebanon, TN
    79 original owner six cylinder coupe
    MCA Gold Card judge for 3rd Generation cars

I like the blue/blue color combo, also.
    Project "WinBacK" 1986 LX Hatchback
    - CA car, 5.0 w/5 speed
    - Cobra 17x8.5's + Modded Mach1 Chin Spoiler + 83-84 Hood & Scoop/85-86 "Blackout"+ FMS Mass Air Kit+ MM Clutch Cable & Quadrant + Fiore Cable Adjuster + MM SFC's+ Wild Rides "Battle Boxes" + Explorer Intake, Converted TB & Injectors, 70 mm Mass Air Meter + BBK Ceramic Shorties + 2.5" Bassani O/R X-Pipe & Cat-Back Exhaust w/ 3" Tips + 3L27 w/ Carbon Fiber Clutches​(out of retirement) + Pistol Grip Shifter + 99-04 GT Front/00 Cobra Rear Disc Brakes

Thanks guys, I guess that it really probrably is in good condition for what it has been through (5 owners, one being a H.S. Kid who "subbed" it up, hence no radio) I recall how much work was needed for my 84 dodge ram to be back in good condition.

If I can get a hold of some good paint that matches the origional color I will pobrably try and go for it. and the hardest two things I think will be the dashpad and the center counsel.

I guess First on the list will be a good gutting of the interior and cleaning then we can put it all back together and see what we need to purchase.

SEM most likely has a good color match for you interior in a spray can. If they do not, then you can always get your local paint supplier to mix the interior paint for you. Usually it will be in a quart, but some supply stores can put it into spray cans for you.

There are several threads on the dash pads that are available right now. I recommend you read them and make your decision depending on your budget. I personally have used the dash cover on several projects, since the reproduction dashes were not quite up to decent quality until lately. The dash cover doesn't look too bad for a DD in my opinion, but its not concours correct or perfect.

The center console out of any other 4 eye will work, you will just have to repaint it to match if you can't find a blue one. I would recommend either a gray or beige console if possible. It will make it easier to repaint the blue if necessary.

Good Luck!

Trey

Quote Originally Posted by ISUzj View Post
    Thanks guys, I guess that it really probrably is in good condition for what it has been through... If I can get a hold of some good paint that matches the origional color I will pobrably try and go for it... I guess First on the list will be a good gutting of the interior and cleaning then we can put it all back together and see what we need to purchase.
    Sounds like a good plan. Your blue/blue color combo looks good, and it has a lot of potential. So it would be smart to clean it up and fix the little problems, and then think about whether you want to keep it original, modify it, or trade it to someone who wants those colors.
    82 9D Black Magic 5.0
    82 1C Black Magic 5.0

I think I found a center counsel out of an 88.. but it is gray, so I am hoping that I can get some paint to match it...

I also found seats for 150...whole set thats not too bad is it?

I am still hesitant on changing seats though kinda starting to like the blue.

what are a good set of seats worth???

Shepperdw

Hey everyone...

Been lurking here for about a month, just bought a four-eyed fox LX vert. I have some work to do on it, but I wanted to ask true enthusiasts before I got myself somewhere where the four-eyed nation would be not happy with me

It’s an 86 in the dark blue(I can’t recall the name of it) with the light blue interior 113K and it has the V6; so it is nothing special.

The interior is about 70% in good shape, but the pieces that are broken are beyond repair (dash, half-center counsel, door sill trim and door panels)

I was thinking about trying to swap in a grey interior and paint the other non-broken blue trim panels to match with SEM.

And I was thinking about changing the dark blue to the New Ford Blue/Toyota Blue after appropriate body work. with Gray or black trim work.

So what do you think; is this a good direction to go with it or should I try to stick to the stock colors and try to repair the interior?
    I wouldn't worry about what other people think. Your car is not OVERLY rare, so a custom job is fine. Mine is a custom job. I did not switch the front end of mine, but the previous owner did, and I like it. It is not an aero front though. Hell no. I wouldn't bother getting on this forum if I did that. It is an 83, which 83-84 had the ugliest front end IMO. and it was switched to a much better looking 85, with the skirts (ground effects) off a later 90's model or later 80's. It looks really good, go through my album if you don't believe me. I don't even have mustang tail lights on it. The tail lights are off a 1981 capri, which I need a new pair of if anybody is parting a car out and has a clean pair. My car is performance built mainly, but still looks really clean on the interior.

Shepperdw

I think I found a center counsel out of an 88.. but it is gray, so I am hoping that I can get some paint to match it...

If they are in GREAT condition, that is a very good price compared to a set of remade one's. It is still original seats too. It sounds a little bit better going ORIGINAL SEATS than new seats, when you have a classic car.

Center console out of a 88 will not fit your car without major work.

Center consoles are 79-86 and 87-93 pretty much just like the interiors.

$150 for a good set of seats is a good deal.

The blue is starting to grow on you isn't it . . .

Trey

Shepperdw

Trey
    Yeah... I didn't catch that, don't change the center console bro, that kinda is stupid.. But jump on those seats. Very hard to find, and the "new ones" quite frankly look like crap. I say paint it blue again. get the weatherstripping fixed, and adjust those windows. Nothing is worse than a leaking convertible, I promise.

Quote Originally Posted by Shepperdw View Post
    Yeah... I didn't catch that, don't change the center console bro, that kinda is stupid.. But jump on those seats. Very hard to find, and the "new ones" quite frankly look like crap. I say paint it blue again. get the weatherstripping fixed, and adjust those windows. Nothing is worse than a leaking convertible, I promise.

Trey

I thought that too on the Center Counsel, it seemed I had seen it somewhere on here that the models were not friendly to one another in regards to inteior.

I got a hold of paint that is close the the original blue and I am going to do some major cleaning this weekend, but we are going to stick to the Original colors if possible!!

I am going to check out the seats, but probrably stay with mine. (I looked this weekend, it seems my rear seat is bent down, is that not common? It looks like someone sat on the top of the seat when the top was down and bent it.)

Shepperdw

I thought that too on the Center Counsel, it seemed I had seen it somewhere on here that the models were not friendly to one another in regards to inteior.

I got a hold of paint that is close the the original blue and I am going to do some major cleaning this weekend, but we are going to stick to the Original colors if possible!!

I am going to check out the seats, but probrably stay with mine. (I looked this weekend, it seems my rear seat is bent down, is that not common? It looks like someone sat on the top of the seat when the top was down and bent it.)
    As far as the rear seats, I have no clue :/. nobody ever rides in the back of mine, and the previous owner apparently didn't let his kids ride in there. i am 18, so there is normally only one other person (girl) in the passenger seat of mine (if you're going to go there, the flat hood works much better ). My back seats are in perfect condition, and my front seats are out of an 85-86 (god I love the red piping). I have pics of it on here. It matches. I guess it depends mainly on how heavy the person was that sat back there. I don't know why it would be bent down up on the top. A person shouldn't be heavy enough to do that. Perhaps a limb fell on it with the top down?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12