Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Maintaining stock or go custom?

Hey everyone...

Been lurking here for about a month, just bought a four-eyed fox LX vert. I have some work to do on it, but I wanted to ask true enthusiasts before I got myself somewhere where the four-eyed nation would be not happy with me

It’s an 86 in the dark blue(I can’t recall the name of it) with the light blue interior 113K and it has the V6; so it is nothing special.

The interior is about 70% in good shape, but the pieces that are broken are beyond repair (dash, half-center counsel, door sill trim and door panels)

I was thinking about trying to swap in a grey interior and paint the other non-broken blue trim panels to match with SEM.

And I was thinking about changing the dark blue to the New Ford Blue/Toyota Blue after appropriate body work. with Gray or black trim work.

So what do you think; is this a good direction to go with it or should I try to stick to the stock colors and try to repair the interior?

First off, Welcome!

Secondly, some pictures would be very helpful for that kind of judgment call.

I personally like the blue, so many people convert their interiors to gray and black, so I like being a little bit different. I am however looking for a good set of '86 vert blue seat belts, so if you decide to get rid of them, I could use them.

ragtopjr

Exclamation

Fix what you can, buy used parts for replacing those parts that you cant fix, there are a few places that do make some repro parts for these cars.

Paint the car the color you want, the majority of the board accepts individuality on many things.

The main place that you can get into trouble is changing the identity of the car...

IE: turning one year a car into another such as an 86 into an 82, or even worse an aerobortion.

Things like Capri's which have been turned into Mustangs do not go over well here either.

V8 SVO swaps are not well received either.

Where things are a little less stringent are things like a v8 swap in a v6 or 4 cyl non turbo car as they had no rarity like what a 4 cyl turbo gt or SVO had.

In the end its your car to do what you wish to, so just have fun with your build.

Thanks for the welcome...This seems like a good fourm

I was afraid you would ask for photos, I dont have any available that are any good, I will have to snap some tonight and get them up tommorow. sorry....

Oh you will be happy to know one of my two seatbelts wont retract, they are in reasonabl condition though. I will let you know

Can I get belts from another car, I know that it is a slight issue with the slot in the trim on an 86 though.

I know 79-02??? stang seats fit in a fox, but is it a crime if I steal them from another junkyard car... front and back? is there others that swap over nice?

I respect hertatige and I will not be making a GT clone or anyhting its not, I am going to try for a clean blue and gray LX that is just a great car.

Also, if I am posting questions in the wrong section sorry all;

THANKS AGAIN.
    Last edited by ISUzj; 03-17-2011 at 11:48 AM.

Welcome sounds like ya got a good project there. Wish I had a vert. As for ya seats I don't think anyones gonna bash ya up for pullin seats from a yard out of any year Stang. I have an almost complete 93 interior in my 82. As for a clone again I don't think it's bad to clone one here, as a matter a fact I believe there more than a few clones lurking. I've never got beat up for my 82 GLX being an 81 Cobra Clone hehehe. Do as ya please with the car. Make it what ya want an preserve and enjoy it thats what this place is about.
    Rick Schmidt
    82 Mustang GLX hatch ( Soon to be a 351W Monster )
    84 Mustang Notch 4 Cyl car ( Not as Deceased )
    01 Mustang V6 ( Daily Driver)
    92 F150 302, (Old Red )
    And ... the 05 Grand Caravan (One Eared Blue Elephant )

Welcome to the forum!

As it has been stated already, there are certain guidelines that this site expects to be followed. You can read the statements in the stickies. Otherwise most everyone here is extremely supportive of individual choice and expression. That's doesn't mean that every one will agree with your choices or expressions, but again its your car.

From my experience of playing with Mustangs since the mid 80's till today, I have altered my opinions and desires over the years. In my younger years, I was all about the grey or black interiors and going wild and crazy with the exterior. (Then again it was the 80's and neon was cool! )

Now, I have begun to realize that some of the less popular interior colors are cool to see now, because they are unique and less popular.

I can't guarantee that you will never see another vert like yours at a car show, but I will be willing to bet that you will rarely see another one like yours unless you are at a major Mustang show.

We are lucky today that there are so many parts, supplies, and suppliers that help us to restore/repair our Mustangs/Capris and bring them back to their former glory and sometimes even more!

There is a wealth of knowledge that has been learned through years of trials and tribulations here on the site. If you are willing to use the search function and ask questions, I bet you will be able to find most if not all of the information and help you need to repair many of the issues with your Mustang.

My .02 for your project would be to keep it as original as possible if funds permit. Upgrades to the drivetrain are a personal choice depending on your desires and your budget. If the exterior is the dark shade of blue that is a favorite here among members and a bit rarer than other colors. Photos of the condition will allow others to give friendly advice on how to proceed and possible options on where and how to obtain the parts you need. I know one of the members here has a tech article on how to rebuild your seat belts so they will retract again!

Sorry for the long winded reply!

Trey

It's just my humble opinion but...it's your car, do what you want with it. Several years ago, I wanted to turbo my '69 Mach I. I let the purists beat me down so I sold it and got a '91 Fox and put the turbo in it. I've been kicking myself in the ass ever since. Somebody is out there driving my Mach I and it's not me. To tell ya the truth, I really don't know why the purists care what you do with your car. If it's a "rare" one like the one they surely must own...if you destroy it, it only makes their car more valuable. Partially for that reason, I don't worry too much about what the NEXT owner of my car would like. I usually only deal with "regular" cars anyway (4 banger's need love too) and leave the over-priced over-hyped stuff to someone who has more money than they need.

That being said, this site has certain rules and regulations and is based on not doing certain things to 4-eyed Mustangs. They do not want to be a part of bastardizing them. I can understand that. I don't think what I'm doing to my car (2.3t into a 2.3 Coupe) falls into that category. Besides, in my buying and trading, I end up helping other enthusiasts out in the restoratiion of their cars by selling and sometimes giving them parts I have collected that I don't need. I've pulled a few "rare" parts out of the junkyard that I don't need and passed them on to others who don't have U-Pull it type yards in their area. It all evens out.
    Last edited by DrDirt; 03-17-2011 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ISUzj View Post
    It’s an 86 in the dark blue(I can’t recall the name of it) with the light blue interior 113K and it has the V6; so it is nothing special.
    Welcome aboard. It sounds like your car has some desirable colors that are more special than you think. My opinion is for you to keep the car cosmetically as close to original as possible. If you want more power, I doubt that anyone will fault you for swapping to a V8. But you could look into swapping to the supercharged 3.8 from a Thunderbird. Then you could have power while maintaining more of your car's original character.

Quote Originally Posted by DrDirt View Post
    If you destroy it, it only makes their car more valuable.
    Unfortunately that's not how it works, at least not with cars like ours. Smaller numbers of cars means a smaller following and lower values.

I don't worry too much about what the NEXT owner of my car would like.
    As I've heard here on FEP, the problem is that the next owner might be you.
    82 9D Black Magic 5.0
    82 1C Black Magic 5.0

If your Mustang is the 7B Shadow Blue color that will make it a bit more rare and unique.

As I stated before there are a bunch of members here that really like that color, myself included. I still kick myself for not buying an 86 SVO in that color @ 7 years ago!

As others have stated, its your car and you can do with it what you want no matter what anyone else says. I personally have never been a purist nor an all original guy!

None of my cars are all original. That is more because I tend to buy beat up basket cases or projects gone wrong and then make them my own.

I personally prefer a V8 over anything else, but sometimes the trouble in swapping in a V8 where a 4 or 6 used to be is more trouble and cost than benefit.

As mentioned above a 3.8 Supercharged would be cool and unique and you would still probably get decent mileage. With fuel prices continuing to go up this becomes more important every day.

Good Luck!

Trey

That being said, this site has certain rules and regulations and is based on not doing certain things to 4-eyed Mustangs. They do not want to be a part of bastardizing them.
    I saw that previously I will not make a Bastard.. ha ha

Boy you fellas didn’t help make my decisons any easier. But I have been thinking too, that if I try to change the outside color, then I will have to change the inside color.

If your Mustang is the 7B Shadow Blue color that will make it a bit more rare and unique.
    SOOO financially it would make more sense to keep it the 7B blue and the black top with the light blue interior, but can I live with that color combination…not sure.

I personally prefer a V8 over anything else, but sometimes the trouble in swapping in a V8 where a 4 or 6 used to be is more trouble and cost than benefit.
    On the motor bit, I bought it from a lady whom drove it 1000 miles over the last 5 years and stuck “supposedly” 2 grand in parts into the V6, it seems to show it though. Never seen coolant that clean… esp after driving it 200 miles home. So we will have to wait and see how it runs with good fuel and an engine clean. 

After a bit, I will probably make a thread with all of the how-tos and what-nots that I found through the site to fix problems. I still haven’t found how to fix the vert hoses myself though..but I am sure I will.

I will get some photos up tomorrow if I can.

IMO, to make a V6 stang stand out is to throw an SHO yamaha V6, but its your car, a supercharged 3.8 would still be awesome.
    1980 Cobra 8W Chamois Glow
    302 w/Performer Intake & Cam, T5, Hooker Super Comp Shorties, BBK Off Road X-pipe, Dynomax Super Turbo Cat-Back
    BBK Progressive springs, Koni SA Shocks
    Ask me about interior panel resto, PM me if you have Recaro parts.
    Kenny
    (son of 347togo)
    Click here for my Interior Resto guide
    Build Thread
    Turnin', Burnin', and Learnin'

here how I go with all my FOX BODY(CHASSIS) .

1) if they came factory with non turbo 4 &6 cly.
    then rustomod them untill your heart content. it not like you can hurt the resale.

2)if they come factory with 5.0.
    limit your self, to mods that can easily be put it back to factory stock in a day.(save all stock parts)

3)if they are rare cars, like factory turbo,pace car, svo,cobra, saleen,SSP.
    PUT THEM BACK OR LEAVE THEM FACTORY STOCK. IF YOU WANT TO MOD ONE OF THESE? FIND ONE ABOVE IN LINE 1 .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    was in 3rd gear, right foot to the floor and Cones where flying!

1)who cares if you don't like my functional illiterate

2)if i write like a 2nd grader, isn't that still better than texting?

3)yes ,i'm a French-fry short of a happy meal.

4)Statistically speaking, six out of seven dwarfs aren't Happy

New seats are a must. That's one of my best investments!

as long as it doesn't turn out like this one......

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ght=i%27m+love

Sorry that we did not make your decision any easier!

Ultimately it's your car and only you need to be happy with your decisions.

With that said, keep in mind that if you are not the type to keep cars forever, then at some point you will want or need to sell the Mustang and then your choices can either be a help or a hinderance to selling it.

Honestly you are in the same situation that so many of us are. Your car is probably not a super rare, unique, priceless jewel that will be sought after by all Mustang enthusiasts. So build what you want and enjoy the heck out of it. If the color combination is not to your liking then change it or sell the car and find what you like instead.

I could go on for hours on "what if"ing this to death. If you really like this car, then build it the way you want to and don't worry about what anyone else says. If your heart really isn't into it, then you might consider selling it and find another Mustang that is really more to your liking or tastes.

Trust me, don't build a Mustang that isn't really what you want, ultimately you will not be happy and then what is really the point?

Hope this helps with your decisions. If not, then I am sorry I wasted even more bandwith.

Trey
    Last edited by wraithracing; 03-17-2011 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Spelling

Firstly, WELCOME!!!

Since you asked for input, here's my 2¢ ---- though it'll probably be more like 25¢ worth ... AND ... I should tell you from the get-go that I tend to go for almost pure stock most of the time.

So, here goes...

It’s an 86 in the dark blue (I can’t recall the name of it) with the light blue interior 113K and it has the V6; so it is nothing special.
    Yes it is something special. It doesn't have to be the lowest mileage vehicle on the planet and have 1,000 HP to be special.

I was thinking about trying to swap in a grey interior and paint the other non-broken blue trim panels to match with SEM.

And I was thinking about changing the dark blue to the New Ford Blue/Toyota Blue after appropriate body work. with Gray or black trim work.

So what do you think; is this a good direction to go with it or should I try to stick to the stock colors and try to repair the interior?
    SINCE YOU ASKED, I'd stick with its original colors ---- not just because they are original, but (IMHO) they are great colors. There's nothing wrong with gray and black ---- but they are much more common and I tend to lean toward less common colors.

Sometimes doing something more unique takes more time and more work ---- but (IMHO) the end result is more rewarding and gratifying.

Yep, that had to be at least 25¢ worth.

Again, Welcome to FEP!!!
    13 Dodge Dart
    09 Shadow Sabre
    08 Caliber
    05 Aztek
    02 Avalanche
    02 Thunderbird
    01 Cadillac ETC
    98 Explorer
    96 Suzuki X-90
    89 Fleetwood
    89 Continental
    88 Town Car
    86 Silverado
    84 Fiero
    83 Town Car
    82 LN7
    82 EXP
    80 Mustang
    65 Continental
    62 Galaxie 500
    54 Packard

Stock never goes out of style.

Quote Originally Posted by arj View Post
    Unfortunately that's not how it works, at least not with cars like ours. Smaller numbers of cars means a smaller following and lower values.

As I've heard here on FEP, the problem is that the next owner might be you.
    Actually, that's exactly how it works. Checked the price on a Duesenberg Phaeton lately? That's a car with relatively small numbers and a small following.

And no, I doubt seriously if I will ever buy a Duesenberg or an SVO at the going prices. I look at cars as...well...cars. I fully intend to drive the crap out of mine on a daily basis. No museum pieces here.

Actually, that's exactly how it works. Checked the price on a Duesenberg Phaeton lately? That's a car with relatively small numbers and a small following.
    Duesenberg Phaetons? Like I said, "not with cars like ours." If you follow your reasoning through, you could part out as many non-wrecked/non-rusted Mustangs as possible. Then the owners of the remaining Mustangs would have valuable cars... And there would be no more FEP, and no Mustang hobby for the rest of us to enjoy.
    Last edited by arj; 03-17-2011 at 11:47 PM.
    82 9D Black Magic 5.0
    82 1C Black Magic 5.0

OK, if not supply and demand, what is it that drives the value of "cars like ours"?

Welcome to FEP (I'm new too)

I went through the same kind of deliberation as you with my interior.

I had the Canyon Red interior but it was messed up pretty badly. Finding the right red color parts (plus fade differences) would make the restoration harder and more expensive. Plus I really like black or grey interiors. So I made up my mind with black even if it never was an option for 86, and I'm currently using the walnut woodgrain dash from an 80 Capri. LOL

Overall it is YOUR car, this is not a condo committee where you need to get approvals from the board to change the doorknob on your front door Although there are some purists here, they are pretty accepting. It normally boils down to the quality of your work and the detail of your resto-mod.

I would suggest sticking to the original body color as an opinion or stick to a shade of blue that's close... Besides that's a nice color!

Good luck and have fun! Oh and take tons of pics, we like pics

Welcome to FEP. I say do whatever the budget allows. As long as you keep the identity of the car, do it. Engine/colors are not usualy considered identity unless it is on the rare models.

I still think the Foxes are in a stage where the rare models, being more desirable, fetch more $ obviously. The plane jane models are heavily mileage based, low miles = higher value. But even the GTs, RSs, T-Top, Notch, or Cobras are nothing special in the automotive community. Not yet anyway, there is a FEP following, a Mustang following, but the foxes are still bought to be heavily modified for racing forms, and the fact that you can still pick up a solid V8 chassis, even a special or rare model, does not stop the rarer ones from being trashed. I think we still have several years before the Foxes are recognized.
    85 SVO
    94 GT CMC#71
    65 Fastback

i love the new ford color on the older foxes
    i would go with one of the new ford colors

OK, if not supply and demand, what is it that drives the value of "cars like ours"?
    I'm certainly no expert on car values, but just think about where we are and the type of things that we talk about. By "value" it sounds like you're thinking of situations where rare vehicles bring big money as they change hands between collectors that are probably quite a bit wealthier than most of the guys on this site. But Fox-platform cars aren't that exclusive, and in my opinion, their value will rely on them having a large following. A large following requires lots of cars, so that lots of people can be part of the hobby. A vibrant hobby is then bolstered by the market for restoration parts, and the presence of sites like FEP. If there were only a small number of cars, there would be no reproduction parts, no FEP, and high values among collectors would be irrelevant to most of us, since we would've moved on to something that we could enjoy and afford.

So which future would you prefer? A few Mustangs that are worth a lot to a few collectors? Or lots of different Mustangs that are worth a fair amount to a wide range of enthusiasts. The first scenario means that most of us would need to find a new hobby, so I'll vote for the second one. Save as many Foxes as possible.
    82 9D Black Magic 5.0
    82 1C Black Magic 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by arj View Post
    So which future would you prefer? A few Mustangs that are worth a lot to a few collectors? Or lots of different Mustangs that are worth a fair amount to a wide range of enthusiasts. The first scenario means that most of us would need to find a new hobby, so I'll vote for the second one. Save as many Foxes as possible.
    Perhaps you missed this in my post above:

"And no, I doubt seriously if I will ever buy a Duesenberg or an SVO at the going prices. I look at cars as...well...cars. I fully intend to drive the crap out of mine on a daily basis. No museum pieces here."

I didn't miss it. And we actually basically think alike. But considering that you want to be able to drive the crap out of your cars, destroying them only makes sense if you're okay with the Fox hobby being a temporary thing that you can do without. I would prefer if Fox cars don't disappear, so that we'll be able to enjoy them as daily drivers in the future.
    Last edited by arj; 03-18-2011 at 07:56 PM.
    82 9D Black Magic 5.0
    82 1C Black Magic 5.0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast