Close

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Ok but is there some advantage to the sn95 caliper versus the turbo coupe? Just seems a lot simpler to find a tcoupe and get a whole setup from one car than piecing it together, unless there's some advantage to making a mash up of parts from both setups. Is the t coupe axle is wider than the ltd axle? Might be easier to get the whole rear end since I need an 8.8 anyways. I'm. Kind of surprised that junk yard has anything decent, I used to go there here and there years ago, juit going because they never had crap but busted up school busses full of crap parts lol. Anyone who has been there will get that.
    Last edited by Chrome_Rush; 03-16-2011 at 01:19 AM.

The TC axle and SN95 axles are both wider. I don't know about you, but I haven't seen a TC in any of the local yards in a few years. There's usually 1-2 new SN95s floating around every time I go. So if you can't find the TC rear, you could get the SN95 parts and do a little bracket work to end up with what you want, then buy 4-lug rotors.
    If you've got a TC 8.8 in sight, then go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf View Post
    The TC axle and SN95 axles are both wider. I don't know about you, but I haven't seen a TC in any of the local yards in a few years. There's usually 1-2 new SN95s floating around every time I go. So if you can't find the TC rear, you could get the SN95 parts and do a little bracket work to end up with what you want, then buy 4-lug rotors.
    If you've got a TC 8.8 in sight, then go for it.
    Alright thanks guys I will see what I can find out there.

Redneck Riviera, Fort Walton Beach Florida

Some Taurus rear brake calipers are the same as well, I don't know the model years though.
    1985 LTD LX, Mach1 brakes, 17" Mopar police car wheels. 302, T5, 4.10s
    1984 LTD station wagon, with 84GT nose, some might remember it as the old Dugan Racing station wagon.
    1986 FHP coupe, stock shortblock, TW heads, Holley SMII intake, 4.88, T5Z
    1990 Red LX, ported AFR heads, TFS-R box upper, weenie cam, 1 3/4 long accufabs, 3" exhaust, T5, 4.56

I got a set of PBR dual piston calipers at the junkyard yesterday to put on the front of this, and the trunk seal from a late model marquis. I've got all new power door locks in it, new power window motors, window seals, and should finish the dew wipes this week. Rods go to the machine shop this week for ARP bolt install and resizing, then the motor goes together probably next weekend. Hopefully by then the dew wipes will be finished up and I can pull the dash to finish the power window wiriing, put a new heater core in, then start on the EFI wiring.
    1984 LTD station wagon, with 84GT nose, some might remember it as the old Dugan Racing station wagon.
    1990 Red LX, ported AFR heads, TFS-R box upper, weenie cam, 1 3/4 long accufabs, 3" exhaust, T5, 4.56

Some might recognize this as the ducting for the dash vent on the driver's side of the dash, and the shift light that will be residing in there.

Dash is out, new heater core and new fox style evaporator in the heater box, have the wiring for the efi conversion strung too as is the wiring for the power windows, none of the additional wiring was strung when I took this pic, but it already looks like a freaking disaster.....LOL!!

You're REALLY making me consider going carb'd! Whatta disaster!(as far as my skill level is concerned) Better you than me!

I know you'll do it right though!
    '78 Fairmont with 4 doors and 8 cylinders.
    '92 LX convertible with 2 doors and 4 cylinders.

holy cow, that is a mess. Good luck and cant wait till your done with it
    "Never Trust a Bunny!"

The Great Sir Twitch

MERCURYS is what I'm bout. MERCURY CrAzY

FEP Member

BTDT (link)

http://www.firstcoastcobraclub.com/v....php?f=2&t=545

It's back together and the heater & all the vent stuff works. So keep the faith

After the other higher priority crises are dealt with we'll try to hook up the A/C

Tom

I had bought a spectre heater core because they were a nice looking piece, and made out of aluminum. However, the one tube was angled different then the stocker so that the tube wouldn't come out of the firewall opening properly. I then remembered I had a factory ford unit stashed in the LTD wagon so I grabbed it and stuck that one in and it fit perfectly. I'll have to go to the dealer and get another one now too as I'll have to go through this drill with the wagon too.

Quote Originally Posted by who-nxt View Post
    You're REALLY making me consider going carb'd! Whatta disaster!(as far as my skill level is concerned) Better you than me!

I know you'll do it right though!
    Every time I see somebody doing an efi swap I say the same thing. IS it really worth it, especially if the car isnt a daily driver.
    2013 Focus ST3 2.0 turbo 6 speed

85 LTD, 90k miles, 3.8/c5,For sale... Or restomod if it doesn't sell

87 Conquest TSI widebody 2.6 Turbo/5speed, also maybe for sale

94 Tempo 3.0v6/5speed 92 GLS clone project

90 gmc sierra 2wd short box. 73k showroom condition, fender flares, 31" BFG All terrain. 350ci 4.10 gear

Quote Originally Posted by Chrome_Rush View Post
    Every time I see somebody doing an efi swap I say the same thing. IS it really worth it, especially if the car isnt a daily driver.
    This will be a daily driver, as long as everything works it will be.

Making more progress, although slowly. I got the door panels back yesterday, so I put the two rear ones on today. Can't put the fronts on until after it is running and I have the front glass tinted. The guys at the tint shop cut me a discount if they don't have to remove and replace the door panels.
    I've got the Hawk HP brake pads installed front and rear, dual piston front calipers are clearanced, motor is almost done, wiring is getting there. I got the shift light wired up today so that is set. I had to start out with something easy soldering so I can ease into the other soldering when I have to splice/add wires for the SEFI conversion.

The motor is finally done. I've got the emergency brake cable brackets cut out and remounted to work with the taurus brake cables for the rear disk brakes. All of the plastic fuel line is out, replaced with 1/4 steel tubing and goodyear blue EFI hose.
    Just have the wiring to do, and a couple other minor things to wrap it up, I'm procrastinating a bit on that wiring part though...

I also got the part of the rear crossmember that I'd sectioned for the 3" exhaust, reinstalled just backwards and upside down so that it still provides clearance, and provides some rigidity to the crossmember that holds the front of the tank up. Welding up above you while laying on your back sucks.

Recovered headliner is in, that was fun, headliner trim pieces are cleaned and repainted, recovered sunvisors are in too.
    I repainted the dash while it was out as some of the pieces were different colors due to fading. I made up a way to incorporate gages where the ashtray used to be, the smaller gages might have looked better, but these will be easy to see for sure. I noticed I have some overspray on the dash plate I need to get off there before I install it. Also, the gages are not crooked, they're just oriented so that at cruise they should all be pointed straight up.

I picked these hubcaps up from ebay, they're nasty now, but will work good once I get some ford wheels for this thing.

Here is the side of the transmission where I put a tee for the transmission temp sensor.
    I just have to put the lower tube on, although I might do something different there as well, have to dig around in the plumbing section at Ace to see what I can find.

I also painted the passenger side fender due to welding in a patch in the hole where the antenna was located. Didn't take a pic of that though, I think most everyone knows what a black LTD fender looks like.
    Most everything else is taken care of, finish putting headliner trim and a couple interior trim pieces, install the fender, and then start messing with the wiring.

FEP Member

David,

Great stuff! I like the "pointing straight up" approach to the gauges.

My trans temp went wild until I discovered I'd put 4 qts too many into the trans. You shoulda seen the smoke

Keep the updates coming. Try for some whole car pictures when it's appropriate.

Tom

Thanks, hopefully I got them positioned right, I know the water temp will be 190's, oil pressure is a bit of a guess due to high pressure pump, and mods to the block. Found a range for trans temp so shot for the mid-range of that. No whole car pics as it is still sitting on the jackstands that it was on in the pics earlier in the thread, just has a lot more dust on it.

Quote Originally Posted by David Claflin View Post
    Dash is out, new heater core and new fox style evaporator in the heater box, have the wiring for the efi conversion strung too as is the wiring for the power windows, none of the additional wiring was strung when I took this pic, but it already looks like a freaking disaster.....LOL!!
    WOW that IS a mess ... was was it running before? carb? or the CFI?
    I'm holdin on your rope, got me 10 feet off the ground

Quote Originally Posted by Forever View Post
    WOW that IS a mess ... was was it running before? carb? or the CFI?
    Yeah, it was CFI. Only took it apart to convert to SEFi, replace heater core and put fresh heads on it. Found junk in the oil pan so decided to replace the entire engine. I know I didn't need to take the entire dash out, but wanted to get things looking better.

I've decided to go ahead and put the 4R70W in this instead of the AOD. I had planned to have an AOD built with 4R gearing, later on. I've been looking at baumann controller for the 4R trans and am going to pull the trigger. I won't have to mess with the TV lever, and the 4R has a better lock up, especially with an aftermarket converter. Anybody in NW Florida want to buy an AOD?

Here's how the new seatbelt sleeves look. I cut the bottom off and slid the new one over the buckle and down to where the old one was broken off. I tucked the old one up inside of the new one and run some black tape around it to keep it from slipping. I thought afterwards I could have run some RTV or adhesive on it, but they are between the console and the seat so no one will be scrutinizing them.

The completed engine, I filled it with oil today and put a mechanical gauge on it to see what oil pressure I'd have. Spun it with the drill and got 80PSI, the melling high pressure pump does what it said it would do. I did some mods to the block to make sure the oil supply would be enhanced over a stock block.

Here's a 315/35-17 Nitto on a 17x10 wheel, I don't think it will clear with the lowered springs I have, but it might be OK with stock ones on it. Just to use at the track anyway, there's all kind of clearance on the back side.

are you using stock or aftermarket rear lower control arms? And is the rear stock width or narrowed any? Thanks
    85 ltd florida cop car factory 5.0 aod...sold
    88 bronco II 4x4 2.9 v6 5spd
    79 malibu wagon tbi 350/700r4

stock control arms, 8.8 with disc brakes. I've ran these wheels on my 90LX, just have the lips rolled in like this car, these could be rolled in more i think.

Quote Originally Posted by David Claflin View Post
    stock control arms, 8.8 with disc brakes. I've ran these wheels on my 90LX, just have the lips rolled in like this car, these could be rolled in more i think.
    ok thanks just wanting a general idea of what ill need when the time comes for me to put some deep dish wheels on my ltd......and did you have any trouble on the inside of the wheel well?
    85 ltd florida cop car factory 5.0 aod...sold
    88 bronco II 4x4 2.9 v6 5spd
    79 malibu wagon tbi 350/700r4

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast