Close

Threaded View

Redneck Riviera, Fort Walton Beach Florida

Default My LTD LX project car

I bought this car from Mr. Squirrel late last summer with the intention of making it my daily driver. I've always liked these LTD LX's since I first saw a sales brochure for them while I was stationed in Germany during the mid-80's. When I saw this one, especially in black, and the wife's BFF living in San Antonio, I knew I had to go at least look at it. It was worth the trip, got to meet Jerry and his wife, the car looked good, and was in decent shape, just needed some TLC to get it where I wanted it, so I got it.
    I converted it to 5 lug, 4 wheel discs, and put shorty headers, dual exhaust, electric fan, aluminum driveshaft, 255 LPH fuel pump, 3.73 8.8" rearend and other mild stuff. I took it to the track before and after and got some decent ET/MPH improvements out of it.
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=100597

After doing these mods I noticed it still had a slight miss, and I wanted to up the compression so I planned to put on a set of ported E7 heads, along with SEFI conversion. When I pulled the intake, I found I had a roller block, so I thought I'll throw in an 5.0HO roller cam, luckily I did, because when I pulled the timing cover I found a bunch of metal parts
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=106923
    So, I pulled the engine with the intention of putting a fresh shortblock I had on the stand in and getting it going with a set of ported GT40 heads, and a stock cam. Then I found a set of very low mileage TW FAC 170 heads for sale at a good price, so I grabbed those. Then I saw a used billet XE264HR cam for sale cheap so grabbed that. Of course I'm too dumb to leave well enough alone so I've got to port the heads a little

While I've got it down for motor overhaul, I'm also converting it to EFI, putting power windows in, putting all new dew wipes, window channels, new power window motors, and power door locks. The battery is in the trunk so I needed a way to cut power to be NHRA legal, and still look relatively stock, so I came up with this, yes that is a fuel filler/license plate bracket off of a GM car.

This is what it looks like with rear disks, alloy axles, and 3" tailpipes

I also put the antenna on the back because I've alway thought that was sexaay.

I'm making progress, but it is slow going, most night during the week I'm shuttling my daughter to her different dance classes, so most real progress is on the weekends. I've got one more door to convert to power window, and finish putting in the recovered headliner. Once all of the dew wipes, and window channels are installed I'll tackle the SEFI conversion and heater core replacement. Hopefully, I'll have it running and on the road sometime late next month....
    Last edited by David Claflin; 06-19-2011 at 05:08 PM.
    1985 LTD LX, Mach1 brakes, 17" Mopar police car wheels. 302, T5, 4.10s
    1984 LTD station wagon, with 84GT nose, some might remember it as the old Dugan Racing station wagon.
    1986 FHP coupe, stock shortblock, TW heads, Holley SMII intake, 4.88, T5Z
    1990 Red LX, ported AFR heads, TFS-R box upper, weenie cam, 1 3/4 long accufabs, 3" exhaust, T5, 4.56