Close

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
    Redneck Riviera, Fort Walton Beach Florida

Default My LTD LX project car

I bought this car from Mr. Squirrel late last summer with the intention of making it my daily driver. I've always liked these LTD LX's since I first saw a sales brochure for them while I was stationed in Germany during the mid-80's. When I saw this one, especially in black, and the wife's BFF living in San Antonio, I knew I had to go at least look at it. It was worth the trip, got to meet Jerry and his wife, the car looked good, and was in decent shape, just needed some TLC to get it where I wanted it, so I got it.
    I converted it to 5 lug, 4 wheel discs, and put shorty headers, dual exhaust, electric fan, aluminum driveshaft, 255 LPH fuel pump, 3.73 8.8" rearend and other mild stuff. I took it to the track before and after and got some decent ET/MPH improvements out of it.
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=100597

After doing these mods I noticed it still had a slight miss, and I wanted to up the compression so I planned to put on a set of ported E7 heads, along with SEFI conversion. When I pulled the intake, I found I had a roller block, so I thought I'll throw in an 5.0HO roller cam, luckily I did, because when I pulled the timing cover I found a bunch of metal parts
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=106923
    So, I pulled the engine with the intention of putting a fresh shortblock I had on the stand in and getting it going with a set of ported GT40 heads, and a stock cam. Then I found a set of very low mileage TW FAC 170 heads for sale at a good price, so I grabbed those. Then I saw a used billet XE264HR cam for sale cheap so grabbed that. Of course I'm too dumb to leave well enough alone so I've got to port the heads a little

While I've got it down for motor overhaul, I'm also converting it to EFI, putting power windows in, putting all new dew wipes, window channels, new power window motors, and power door locks. The battery is in the trunk so I needed a way to cut power to be NHRA legal, and still look relatively stock, so I came up with this, yes that is a fuel filler/license plate bracket off of a GM car.

This is what it looks like with rear disks, alloy axles, and 3" tailpipes

I also put the antenna on the back because I've alway thought that was sexaay.

I'm making progress, but it is slow going, most night during the week I'm shuttling my daughter to her different dance classes, so most real progress is on the weekends. I've got one more door to convert to power window, and finish putting in the recovered headliner. Once all of the dew wipes, and window channels are installed I'll tackle the SEFI conversion and heater core replacement. Hopefully, I'll have it running and on the road sometime late next month....
    Last edited by David Claflin; 06-19-2011 at 05:08 PM.
    1985 LTD LX, Mach1 brakes, 17" Mopar police car wheels. 302, T5, 4.10s
    1984 LTD station wagon, with 84GT nose, some might remember it as the old Dugan Racing station wagon.
    1986 FHP coupe, stock shortblock, TW heads, Holley SMII intake, 4.88, T5Z
    1990 Red LX, ported AFR heads, TFS-R box upper, weenie cam, 1 3/4 long accufabs, 3" exhaust, T5, 4.56

FEP Member

David,

Looking good! Lots of nice unique touches. Keep us up to date with pictures.

Tom

David,

Nice progress! Where did you get the antenna you put on the rear quarter from?

Thanks fellas, the antenna came from autozone. I forgot to mention that during the first round I also put a baumann shift kit and a 2300 stall converter in it.
    1984 LTD station wagon, with 84GT nose, some might remember it as the old Dugan Racing station wagon.
    1990 Red LX, ported AFR heads, TFS-R box upper, weenie cam, 1 3/4 long accufabs, 3" exhaust, T5, 4.56

I want to say "Hurry up and get your a** back to the track!", but would feel silly since I'm in no position to do much more than stare at my project.

In the mean time, post a link to the wagon's build, lol.
    Last edited by uglybox; 03-13-2011 at 09:57 AM. Reason: WAGON!
    '78 Fairmont with 4 doors and 8 cylinders.
    '92 LX convertible with 2 doors and 4 cylinders.

have any pics of the exhaust from the back and sides?
    85 ltd florida cop car factory 5.0 aod...sold
    88 bronco II 4x4 2.9 v6 5spd
    79 malibu wagon tbi 350/700r4

Im really happy how this car has come along David. This car has turned into a angry beast. can't wait to see it in person again someday.
    "Never Trust a Bunny!"

The Great Sir Twitch

MERCURYS is what I'm bout. MERCURY CrAzY

David, you are about the most ambitious car guy I have seen and I'm glad you like to share. Keep it up.

This is about the same way I want to go with mine, what did you use for the 5 lug swap and rear end, I want to go with discs in back, but haven't really been able to find a strait answer on what's going to work.

Quote Originally Posted by who-nxt View Post
    In the mean time, post a link to the wagon's build, lol.
    I haven't done one yet, once this thing is on the road, then I can turn my attention to that again.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrome_Rush View Post
    This is about the same way I want to go with mine, what did you use for the 5 lug swap and rear end, I want to go with discs in back, but haven't really been able to find a strait answer on what's going to work.
    Sorry, I missed this first time through, I've done this conversion on 5 cars already, using stock stuff aside from the axles, even have cobra brakes on my LX. The wagon has Strange C-clip eliminators and axles though.
    http://forums.corral.net/forums/gene...-brackets.html
    read this when picking what kind of booster to go with
    http://forums.corral.net/forums/gene...ra-master.html

Looking good, David! I was considering doing the same thing to hide a rear mounted kill switch, but then I decided that straight line racing isn't my thing and I prefer to turn as well

I really like the rear antenna, but I'd be too afraid of cutting a hole in my quarter panel.

Are you running a single 3" exhaust or duals? 3" dual seems overkill.

I'm interested to know how the dew wipe replacement goes. Mine are crumbling to bits.

I'm in the middle of my project too. Blown head gasket repair, and while I'm at it I'm putting some stronger valve springs in my AFR heads. After that's done I have a Maximum Motorsports tubular K-member to put in, but I'll worry about that once the car's up and running again.

85 Ford LTD LX: Four eyes and Four doors

EFI swap, AFR 165 heads, 5-speed conversion, Cobra brakes, etc.

Scott,
    It has 3" duals, only have a 2 1/2" off road pipe, and 1 5/8" shorty headers now, later this summer I'm going to put 1 3/4" accufab long tubes and a 3" X-pipe on it. That deal about exhaust too big is a myth, I run the same set up on my LX and it picked up at the track, got better mileage, and sounds so much better with the larger exhaust.
    So far the dew wipe deal isn't too bad, moving those little clips is the biggest pain so far. I kept the old wipes so I could get clips off of those too as I managed to break one of the new ones.
    I like doing turns too, I'm going to get some bilsteins for it later on and subframes as well.

I saw the thread on corral about your issues, I think you'll see a big difference with the better springs. Did you put the holley intake on it?
    Last edited by David Claflin; 03-14-2011 at 11:31 AM.

Thanks for the info, one more question, anyway I can do the rear disc swap and keep the 4 lug setup without making the rear end to wide to fit a decent wheel? I have no reason to swap to 5lug really. Besides wanting rear discs.

Huh. I'm surprised that you can even get dual 3"ers to fit. I have a hell of a time with my 2.5" tail pipes passing the panhard bar. I'm restricted to the size of mid pipe I can use due to smog laws, so dual 2.5" and shorty headers will have to do for me.

I decided against swapping intakes for now. I'm kinda cash strapped at the moment (damn wedding) and the head work and springs are already going to cost me a few bucks. My Cobra's lower is ported, so flow is pretty decent as is.

Thanks for the info, one more question, anyway I can do the rear disc swap and keep the 4 lug setup without making the rear end to wide to fit a decent wheel? I have no reason to swap to 5lug really. Besides wanting rear discs.
    Stainless steel brakes corp makes a kit I think, get out the checkbook though, heard it's expensive.

Scott I think you'll be surprised with the improvement of the new valve springs. I don't have a panhard bar so I don't have to deal with that, or emissions.

Quote Originally Posted by David Claflin View Post
    Stainless steel brakes corp makes a kit I think, get out the checkbook though, heard it's expensive.

Scott I think you'll be surprised with the improvement of the new valve springs. I don't have a panhard bar so I don't have to deal with that, or emissions.
    Didnt the turbo coupes have rear discs? Would those work, I see those in the junk yards now and than.

In any case, you should get some more pics of that LTD up, I want to see that thing. What wheels are you using or planning on using?

Turbo Coupe had 10" rear brakes; SN95 used 10.5". I wouldn't be surprised if you could build a bracket to make the SN95 parts work with the TC rotors.

On the other hand, you're reinventing the wheel and it might cost more than a set of rims and some 5-lug axles/swap rotors/etc.

In any case, you should get some more pics of that LTD up, I want to see that thing. What wheels are you using or planning on using?
    I've got too much stuff in the garage right now to get any pics of it. Once I get it out and running I'll get some pics. I've got the old style mopar police car wheels, with dog dish hub caps, rims are painted black.

Are they the same Mopar steelies you had on the tan wagon? I love the look of those. I like the handling that the "wide track" of my SN95 front suspension and Mark VII rear brakes give me, but it makes it impossible to run nice dished wheels like you have.

I sure hope the valve springs will wake things up. I'm just waiting for my tax refund to come in to buy some from Ed Curtis.

Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf View Post
    Turbo Coupe had 10" rear brakes; SN95 used 10.5". I wouldn't be surprised if you could build a bracket to make the SN95 parts work with the TC rotors.

On the other hand, you're reinventing the wheel and it might cost more than a set of rims and some 5-lug axles/swap rotors/etc.
    I don't see what the sn95 stuff has to do with anything, I don't want to go 5 lug, just want to loose the drums in back.

I was simply saying you might be able to use the SN95 caliper setup (easy to find) with the Turbo Coupe brake rotors (can order new and not have to deal with finding an actual TC rear).

Quote Originally Posted by LTDScott View Post
    Are they the same Mopar steelies you had on the tan wagon? I love the look of those. I like the handling that the "wide track" of my SN95 front suspension and Mark VII rear brakes give me, but it makes it impossible to run nice dished wheels like you have.
    Yep, same ones. I'd like to put the SN control arms on this too. I've got a set of the late model mopar steel spare wheels I can use. Just have to decide which way to go with it.

I was simply saying you might be able to use the SN95 caliper setup (easy to find) with the Turbo Coupe brake rotors (can order new and not have to deal with finding an actual TC rear).
    Good point, you'd just have to measure the rotor hat to see how they compare.

Ah, I see, I don't know how it is in other parts of the country, but 94 and up stangs are hared to come by, I actually see a lot more turbo coupes in junk yards around here. Actually v8 foxes are really hard to find, 4 bangers are all over, but I never see a v8 fox, on the rare occasion I do, all useable parts are long gone.

FEP Senior Member

You can use the rear calipers from an SN 95 v6 car. They're all over the yards here. Out your way theres a yard on Toledo and Eureka that has a crap load of v6 cars.

Chuck

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast