Close

Default '85-'86 Charcoal trim color

My vert is finally in the paint shop and after much research I have decided to go with a Sherwin Williams Genesis Reduced Gloss single stage paint for the lower two tone and trim. The rest of the car in white will be base coat clear coat. I was looking at doing a base coat clear coat for the charcoal color which Sherwin Williams has a Matte Clear Coat but after some research once the Matte Clear Coat is buffed and polished it comes back shiny. I know there is a SEM and PPG product that is close but this Genesis paint is more of a commercial product which I like. Basically, it has clear in it that will protect it over time which I like given there is so much of it on my car.

Anyways, the color I selected is really close to an original trim piece I have off of a '86 vert that has been in storage for 23 years out of the UV rays. Here are some pictures of the trim pieces...the darker piece is the original and the piece a little lighter is the painted test piece. Today I took the paint back and had them put about 20m more black in it to get it closer. The satin sheen on it is really close too. What I like about it is that it can be buffed and it stays the same. I will have pictures of the car when finished, hopefully at the end of next week...then the fun will begin putting the car back together. I believe for someone that is redoing the entire car, this is a great option...especially being single stage as it can be touched up if necessary. I have all the numbers and have kept track of how much more black tinting has been done to the original gray if anyone is interested.
    Last edited by bwguardian; 04-06-2013 at 03:58 PM.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

glad to hear progress is being made. I love the tu-tone white verts. Is the photo on the very right comparing the original and the re-sprayed piece?

Official FOX-A-QUE Threads
    : 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009

The original and the respray pieces are in all three pictures. The original piece is on the top in the first (left) picture in direct sunlight. Then the original piece is on the bottom in the second (middle) and third (right) in shade sun respectfully. The sheen can really be seen in the second (middle) picture. I am thinking after the retint the color will be in between the two...I am trying to get the blue out of it. Not a big deal on a white car but with the tires and black vert top I want it closer.
    HAD

HAVE
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Yes, I can see the differences you're noting with the bluish hue.

I know you've decided on SW.. SEM is actually available so it can be sprayed through a gun. That's what my painter did on my Capri and it looks great. Not sure if you had known that.

I am sure you'll get it right and it'll look great.

Official FOX-A-QUE Threads
    : 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009

Quote Originally Posted by eeprete View Post
    Yes, I can see the differences you're noting with the bluish hue.

I know you've decided on SW.. SEM is actually available so it can be sprayed through a gun. That's what my painter did on my Capri and it looks great. Not sure if you had known that.

I am sure you'll get it right and it'll look great.
    I was aware of the SEM and talked to a local SEM representative...they did not have it local (can you believe that, in a town as big as Houston, Texas) and he even shyed me further away from it given I was utilizing it on the hood stipe given the heat. He described it as a 3-5 year paint...but would probably last longer given this is a garaged weekend car. I am not knocking it by any means...I just want something that will last as long as the base coat clear coat of the rest of the car. The Sherwin Williams paint is a commercial grade paint being a single stage polyurethayne that actually has clear coat in it for UV protection...and should hold up 2-3 times longer. It will be right on target when I am all said and done...some of the SEM paint I see is too light from what I see as compared to the trim pieces I was lucky to have. This Genesis Reduced Gloss product is utilized on School buses, Coca Cola and Budwiser trailers, etc. and should hold up well.
    HAD

HAVE

Well, the Charcoal trim color is a really good match this time and will be going with it. We added another total 60 grams of black to the off the shelf gray color. It took the blue hue out of it and the satin finish is dead on. We probably could of just put 50 grams of black in it but I know it will lighten up with time so I am very pleased with it. The original piece is on the top and the newly painted piece is on the bottom.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by bwguardian; 12-25-2011 at 10:25 AM.
    HAD

HAVE

FEP Power Member

Looks great. Please post the total detail of the paint so we can take note of it.
    85 GT vert

Very nice, now how about that paint code?? I'm going to be needing some of this.
    Mike

1986 ASCMclaren #108
    stock short block, Victor EFI, 75mm TB, 3.08's, Borla cat-back, slot style MAF conversion, Gt-40p heads, TFS1 cam, 80lb injectors, 69mm turbo, Moates Quaterhorse, E85. 501/584 @ the rear wheels

I think the numbers for the paint color mix are GF3-40664-00-A. I will confirm this when I get the actual can back from the shop after the car is finished!
    HAD

HAVE

Lookin' very good.

Great thread.

Yeah, the paint codes, brand, mix instructions and prep would be nice to know.

They do look super close.

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by 86capriASC View Post
    Very nice, now how about that paint code?? I'm going to be needing some of this.
    I second that.
    Robert

1986 ascMcLaren SC 5.0 -red
    1985 Capri GS (w/ 5.0) - red
    1985 Capri 5.0L - black
    1984 ascMcLaren SC 5.0 - white
    1984 Capri GS (w/ 5.0) - white
    1983 Capri RS Crimson Cat - red
    1982 Capri RS Black Magic - white
    1982 Cougar wagon
    1982 Mustang GT - red

I am going over today to look at the white he sprayed...hopefully be spraying the charcoal in the next day or two after the clear is sprayed and dry. Also need to look at a '84 Predator I found that I need like a hole in the head...LOL! As stated above it is a Sherwin Williams Genesis Reduced Gloss and I think the specific product color numbers are GF3-40664-00-A which is mixed 4 (paint) to 1 (hardner...GH1091) to achieve the satin sheen. It did need a little accelerator to help kick it off and react and we added about 60 grams additional black tint. This is a single stage commercial grade urethayne and should hold up really well over time. Best part is it will keep the satin sheen when buffed.
    HAD

HAVE