Close

New User

Default help with 1980 2.3 turbo engine

I still have the orginal 2.3 turbo motor, intake, carb, exhaust and 4 speed trans (all bolted together), what are costs of having this motor and turbo rebuilt.
    I pulled the motor at 85,000 miles in 1986, boost was upped to 7.5-8.0 lbs from stock, valve stem seals were leaking, any fun with the gas pedal sent a black cloud out the back. Some of the wiring harness I've got somewhere.

With gas like it is, and the comments I've read here....I want to put it back in the car. The 4 cyl was fun, the 8 cyl was way more fun, any way to get this old 4 cyl motor to perform like the 8??

I have no clue as to what I'm up against, what should I do first, what parts will need to be replaced, where can I get a new wiring harness, any internal mod's recommended?

The 8 cyl engine had 258,000 miles on it when I quit driving the car 10 years ago.

thanks

everyone here will just tell you to get the EFI engine.. haha

i too have this same engine and since yours is not in a car im guessing the vacuum hoses
    are all missing.. mine runs ok without the vacuum tree, but it sucks fuel like a V8!
    heres how i have my vacuum setup and it runs ok, no sputtering or nothing!
    - 1 line to the ignition, it needs it to spin it on startup
    - 1 line to the brake booster, brakes work like crap if you dont
    - 1 line to the turbo wastegate and cap the other one off..
    - 1 line to your boost guage inside..

thats all i have! no 7 miles of delicate vacuum crap..

a big upgrade is getting rid of the 4spd and get a T5 out of a 2.3 mustang
    in the JY, i got mine for $50 bucks
    also a ranger roller cam is a big upgrade, thats on my list!

the turbo is probably why the engine blew black smoke!
    gpopshop.com has the rebuild kit for our draw through turbos, make sure you let them know the engine is draw through because it needs a carbon seal..
    i think i payed $100 for the rebuild kit.. you can probably send them the turbo and they do the job, but i dont know for sure..

heres a picture where you can see that vacuum is only going to the ignition and wastegate, he has a yellow cap on the other outlet on the wastegate, i did exactly that and car runs ok.. just like in the picture, i also capped a bunch of stuff and deleted the egr..

good luck!
    Last edited by colonialmotion; 03-08-2011 at 01:05 PM.
    Marshall - Posting from Dominican Republic

79 Pacecar 2.3 EFI turbo
    80 Capri 5.0
    81 Fastback roller

FEP Senior Member

That is a great looking carb turbo engine!
    Neal

Man that looks hella clean. Thanks for the vacuum tips. I've been wanting to get a hold of one of those.
    2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport
    1984 Mustang convertible

now that is clean and simplified

Quote Originally Posted by quikstang2 View Post
    Man that looks hella clean. Thanks for the vacuum tips. I've been wanting to get a hold of one of those.
    you're welcome! i learned it all right here..
    Marshall - Posting from Dominican Republic

79 Pacecar 2.3 EFI turbo
    80 Capri 5.0
    81 Fastback roller

FEP Member

Yes that pic is awesome. I want to do another carb'd build.

Biggest obstacle IMO is they are 9:1 and not really a way to intercool the stock setup, so octane determines the power you can make.

I wanted to build a drag racing draw thru some time back and a fully ported big valve head w/ good cam, ported stock intake, ranger header, 2 1/4 crossover, stock T3 ported/cleaned up in spots, 2 1/2 or 2 3/4" downpipe if it would fit, good IGN [msd] stock jetted up or bigger carb, and good gas and I can't see 300 Hp being much trouble. Stock carb turbos had a bit bigger turbine wheel than EFI T3s but the same compressor wheel which will support 350-360 HP in ish pushed.. 300 safely. Someday I will do the above...
    1985 T Bird Turbo Coupe
    12.26 @ 113 MPH on old <small> turbo and head on 26 psi. Stock short block, 3.73s, T5, lots of bolt ons, A237, stock EEC. Now: BIG turbo, and new fully ported [by me] stock valve head. 11.50s spring for sure.
    84 SVO - $1400 in mods, 11.81@ 116 MPH, 1.58 60'. - back to stock, sold
    1989 S-10 - my DD

Quote Originally Posted by colonialmotion View Post
    everyone here will just tell you to get the EFI engine.. haha

i too have this same engine and since yours is not in a car im guessing the vacuum hoses
    are all missing.. mine runs ok without the vacuum tree, but it sucks fuel like a V8!
    heres how i have my vacuum setup and it runs ok, no sputtering or nothing!
    - 1 line to the ignition, it needs it to spin it on startup
    - 1 line to the brake booster, brakes work like crap if you dont
    - 1 line to the turbo wastegate and cap the other one off..
    - 1 line to your boost guage inside..

thats all i have! no 7 miles of delicate vacuum crap..

a big upgrade is getting rid of the 4spd and get a T5 out of a 2.3 mustang
    in the JY, i got mine for $50 bucks
    also a ranger roller cam is a big upgrade, thats on my list!

the turbo is probably why the engine blew black smoke!
    gpopshop.com has the rebuild kit for our draw through turbos, make sure you let them know the engine is draw through because it needs a carbon seal..
    i think i payed $100 for the rebuild kit.. you can probably send them the turbo and they do the job, but i dont know for sure..

heres a picture where you can see that vacuum is only going to the ignition and wastegate, he has a yellow cap on the other outlet on the wastegate, i did exactly that and car runs ok.. just like in the picture, i also capped a bunch of stuff and deleted the egr..

good luck!
    Im working with the same motor, but I am using an MSD6-BTM with MSD Disty & coil, the car runs (its a ford but the mods keep putting my posts in non FEP tech) what I want to know is what ports on the carb can be plugged or used? and I have one port on the carb that fuel come sout of, is that a rising rate regulator or something?

Play400

We looked into racing our 82gt draw thru 2.3 here a few years ago and decided it was a no-go. The only safe way to make decent power is to go EFI. Have a spare 1980/81 turbo engine and may set it up for efi or a blow thru. As is it is a neat little driver and gets way better mileage then my Pontiacs