Close

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

After more reading today, another thing has been added to the list. 03 cobra rack with 93 Taurus outer tie rods with mm solid bushings along with their solid rack adapter. But that will be a little further down the road. Probably this summer.

For now, brakes are on the top of the list. All I need now is to track down some stainless hoses for the turbo coupe rear disks and then tear down/install everything.

That's all for now, I'll be sure to take pictures/document as much as I can so everything will be organized/in one place. At the time the car was stripped, it was bone stock minus some mild valvetrain upgrades and a carb. My goal is to have it feel much more modern while still retaining the old school cobra look.

finished the brake upgrade this weekend. I just want to have some kind of confidence in the brakes until I can do 5 lug crazy setup

just some size comparisons from the original '79 equipment. the 87 booster and lincolin master cylinder bolted right up but I had to swap 2 lines from the mc to the old prop valve and rebend them. also my welds needed 8mm spacers to clear the caliper bolts.

next week the car will be going to get subframe connectors and lower torque box reinforcements welded in
    Last edited by dk5_cobra; 03-23-2015 at 03:30 PM.

place holder
    Last edited by dk5_cobra; 03-23-2015 at 03:31 PM.

no good pictures for the thread but I wanted to post anyways, i recently picked up a t5 from someone local from a 94. waiting on my stiffler's crossmember to get here. I wasn't planning to do this so soon but it was too good of a deal to pass up.

im using the maximum motorsports clutch quadrant and fiirewall adjuster set, clutch pedal adjuster, and I ordered their hybrid steering shaft for the rack swap. I picked up a pedal cluster from a junkyard car and swapped it in when I had some free time.

Did you get the 94 T5 bellhousing too? Just wondered since the 94 input shaft is longer.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

Waiting for pic updates

yes I got everything from the 94. bellhousing, trans, clutch, pressure plate, and shifter (had to order a 28oz flywheel though)

crossmember will be here wednesday, latemodel restoration has been on the ball lately. cant thank them enough

thanks guys, glad to finally have someone else post in here

Sounds like you have everything covered, that will be a great upgrade.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

got my sn-95 t5 installed this weekend. the stiffler's crossmember lined up perfectly and it all bolted right in along with rear disk parking brake cables. I still need to grind the tunnel a little bit (not much), get my driveshaft shortened, blast and paint my long tubes, get motor mounts, and install my new steering setup before the car will come down off the jackstands. I am a little worried about header clearance with the sn transmission with the clutch lever being placed differently than with a fox transmission but I'll work that out when the time comes.

look what I found on my old steering shaft where it connects to the rack, not a good thing. glad I'm in here replacing parts

the transmission fits the tunnel very nicely, I dare say better than a fox t5 would but I have no experience in this.

as the initial drivetrain upgrades are coming to an end, I'm nervous for the next stage. I need more space in my garage before I can get it painted and I need to decide on a few details. I think I'll leave the motor in and leave the bay alone for now. and down the road when I get a tubular k member and coilover setup Ill pull the motor and have the bay sprayed. because the bay is already been painted but has primer overspray on the edges of the firewall and upper rails.

But I have to slow down with the money spending because I'm going back to school in a few weeks which means less work. Ill do what I can though

Pulled the trw steering rack today, and ordered a pump/lines for an 85 gt. It'll all be here next week and installation starts. Oh and trimmed my trans tunnel for the t5. Excited to be on track for my goals

Peace��

Driveshaft shortened 2.5 inches, steering rack, pump, and lines installed, just waiting on my headers to be sand blasted do I can paint them, install the steering shaft, starter, and route the clutch cable. Only issue was that I had to cut 5/8 of an inch off of each inner tie rod. That's all for this week

Finished the headers. First coat of paint on them, will get them finished by the end of the weekend. And hopefully in the car. And I've got a set of maximum caster/camber plates coming soon since I'm messing with the alignment.

Got a month until I go back to school and have significantly reduced income. I'll do what I can but it'll give me a chance to focus on little details that I may have overlooked in what I've already done and my future plans.

I'll be back soon, Devin

Did you use a primer before painting the headers? What primer/paint did you use on the headers?
    Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    2.3L Horsepower Potential Thread
    Buyer/Seller Experience Link
    Build Thread
    The Four-Eyed Game - 2018 Version

I didn't use any primer. Just vht flameproof header paint. Hopefully it'll hold up well. I didn't feel like these cheap headers were worth ceramic coating

Got the headers and everything in. Amazed that the headers cleared with the sn trans. Zero clearancing needed with Hedman long tubes. Got everything back together and the only issue now is that I now have an oil leak from my oil pan/dipstick area that I didn't quite pinpoint today.

Actually drove the car down my street today. it was a beautiful thing. excited for the future. That's all for this weekend warrior
    Last edited by dk5_cobra; 10-14-2014 at 01:06 PM.

looks like the the build is coming along nice, keep the updates coming

Great build. Shame about the irs. At least you get to drive your car for now. Keep it up!

Sounds like the car is really coming along!! Look forward to reading more an some more pics.
    --86 GT vert.306,Powerdyne blown 7 psi, E303, ported E7s,MAF conv, BBK shorties n OR H, 3" Mac Pro Dumps, WC T5, 5 lug'd, 17" Bullitts, 3" cowlhood, SN95 Gt front brakes, 4.11s.
    --Bill

It's funny, with my stock steering shaft I had no header/steering shaft issues. Now with my mm hybrid shaft, my headers hit. So I'm going to get some poly mounts and hopefully that will solve it. Oil leak is fixed though. Next thing I need to do is figure out what I should run in the front as far as caster/camber goes. To the internet!

Holy steering shaft, Batman!
    Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    2.3L Horsepower Potential Thread
    Buyer/Seller Experience Link
    Build Thread
    The Four-Eyed Game - 2018 Version

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

Firing it up and driving it for the first time is always the icing on the cake! I'm glad to see you're back on the project. Keep those pic's coming!
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

accidentally double posted. this has been deleted
    Last edited by dk5_cobra; 08-13-2014 at 03:29 PM. Reason: double post

And my dad ordered poly motor mounts tonight. Let the good times roll

Today I was adjusting my rocker arms and I noticed one of them was off center of the valve stem. Turns out a bent pushrod will do that. Whyyyyyyyyyy

Sorry. Double posted.
    Last edited by dk5_cobra; 08-27-2014 at 03:53 PM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast