Close

Default 85 SVO Fuel Pump Question

I have an 85 and rite now im gonna change out one of my fuel pumps to a 255 high pressure walbro, I was thinking of just getting the inline walbro 255 and leave the in tank one stock would be alot easier would this be ok? Or should I just do the single pump mod and get the in tank 255?

FEP Power Member

That will work fine. Most change to the in tank high pressure so thay can run dual exhaust.
    Kendal

There is no performance reason to go with a single pump. The two pump setup is actually quite good. Leaving the in tank feeder pump in place wouldn't make much sense. The previous owner of my car put a 155lph pump in the tank but kept the frame mounted pump too. I've learned to go one way or the other(84-85 or 85.5-86) but don't reinvent the wheel or Micky Mouse the fuel system in these cars.

The only reason I did it to my SVO was to install dual exhaust.
    Last edited by Zap's 85 GT; 02-23-2011 at 11:17 PM.
    Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile
    Bimini Blue 1988 LX 5.0 Coupe 5-speed, Hellion turbo, zero options
    Grabber Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1: 351c, toploader
    Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
    Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

Wait why wouldn't I keep the feeder in tank pump?

Quote Originally Posted by Zap's 85 GT View Post
    There is no performance reason to go with a single pump. The two pump setup is actually quite good. Leaving the in tank feeder pump in place wouldn't make much sense. The previous owner of my car put a 155lph pump in the tank but kept the frame mounted pump too. I've learned to go one way or the other(84-85 or 85.5-86) but don't reinvent the wheel or Micky Mouse the fuel system in these cars.

The only reason I did it to my SVO was to install dual exhaust.

FEP Power Member

There is no reason to take the feader pump out of the tank.

I think he was saying not to have two high pressure pumps.
    Kendal

I recommend a single 255lp in the tank (245hp unported head, stock bottom end, fmic hks bov 19lbs)

Simplicity is the major reason for leaving the intank pump alone and installing a high volume in line pump. This set up will support that power level easily.