Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Anyone use the LMR adapter plate for this swap?

Quote Originally Posted by toddf View Post
    Anyone use the LMR adapter plate for this swap?
    I have not used it, but should work just fine. Although if you have the 94/95 T5 bellhousing you don't need the adapter plate. The plate is only needed if installing a 94+ T5 into the Fox T5 bellhousing. I mention that just in case you have the bellhousing also. Best of Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I mean, if you would want to to drop almost $200 on a 3/4" spacer for a $100 transmission, I guess you could. Really not needed unless you have a hard on for a fox bell housing though.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

I used the MDL adapter plate for SROD to T5 in my sons car when I converted because I already had the SROD bell etc. Works perfectly with the later model T5 and the extra length input shaft. No troubles and was the most economical in my case. It puts the shifter back slightly but I was able to trim the hole and make it fit. My other car I swapped the longer input shaft for the shorter length fox one. Either way worked out good for me.

I should also mention the spacer puts the transmission mounting bolts back by 3/4” which may be at the limit of the stock crossmember slots. I bought the stiffer crossmember for 79-81 cars and the mounting holes were dead center of the bracket. It’s a nice piece and you can adjust the placement of the mounting slots by placing the spacer bushings front or rear. That was on my 1980. I’m not sure the exact fit on later models as the crossmember changed a bit after 1981 I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Haystack View Post
    I mean, if you would want to to drop almost $200 on a 3/4" spacer for a $100 transmission, I guess you could. Really not needed unless you have a hard on for a fox bell housing though.
    Yes, it's a little pricey... but those 94-95 gt bells are bringing a good chunk, these days. I've been keeping my eyes open for a used spacer. I have a few foxes and I'm running low on fox-length input shafts, but have a bunch of the longer 94-04 shafts. Plus, running aftermarket shifter with solid motor mounts pushes the front 2 shifter base bolts up against the transmission tunnel and makes them hard to reach. Pushing the shifter back a bit makes them easier to get to (some guys trim the sheet metal back).

I've even thought about using the 3.8 bell and going to the 11" clutch. I have several 3.8 bells lying around.

I used the 3.8" bell. If you follow what I did, the whole swap cost about $400 start to finish. The only thing I didn't do right, was make the Speedo work properly. At the time I did mine, there was little information and a ton of speculation.

Since my tbird used a digital Speedo and reads over 199 mph, I decided that a Speedo that read exactly 4x high was better then trying to trash a good transmission.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123