Close

Default Rally Suspension vs Handling Suspension

While browsing through the 82 Capri (Black Magic) brochures I found some info that I didn't understand.

1982 Mercury Products Fact Book
    Other Options (continued): top row 2nd page from right

Order code 663 says: Suspension Handling package--not available with TR performance Package, or on the BM, included with 5.0 engine Capris.

Order code 65V says: TR Performance Package--Includes (4) forged aluminum wheels, Michelin P190/65/R390 TRX Tires and Rally Suspension. Not available with Handling Suspension. Includes one anti-theft locking lug nut per wheel. Std on Black magic.

My question is: what is the difference between the two suspension packages; Performance VS Rally.
    Which one did the BMs with a 5.0 receive?
    Last edited by BLK BRD 88; 02-11-2011 at 11:28 AM.
    I never seem to get the nut that holds the steering wheel fixed

A little more info on 663 and 65v:
    http://www.ascmclarencoupe.com/Liter...nGuide_010.jpg

663 gave you the suspension without the wheels. 65V gave you the suspension and wheels. For the Black Magic you were getting special wheels so you were required to get the 65V option.

-Mike

Thanks Mike,
    That clears up at least half of my question, what the handling package included. Also that the 5.0 BMs received the Rally package/rally suspension instead of the 5.0 Handling suspension.
    Can you, or perhaps someone else, on here explain to me what is the difference between a normal Capri suspension and the Rally suspension? Also is it known what different suspension parts the Rally Suspension itself included?
    I never seem to get the nut that holds the steering wheel fixed

There was not really a "special" suspension.

If you read the engine requirements, the high performance ones dictated the handling packages. So you got beefier springs, shocks and sway bars with the 5.0. With the 2.3, you just got the 2.3 suspension and it looks like for 6 cylinders you could go either way.

You should find exactly the same equipment requirements on the Mustang.

-Mike