Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    FEP Member

Default Replacing a 3.8 with a Supercharged 3.8

My son has just given me an 86 Mustang with a bad 3.8 but a nice clean southern body.. I have had here in the garage a complete set up 3.8 Supercharged from a 1990 Super Coupe. I have complete motor, AOD, computer, wiring etc from the Super Coupe to do the swap.

The swap looks straight forward but was looking to see if anyone has done the swap before and if there were any problems that arose. I anticipate some wiring issues but the basic bolt in doesn't seem overwhelming. Curious about exhaust manifolds or factory newer style headers from the 3.8, any upgrades that may work etc. Also looking to convert from a auto to 5 speed if that matters.

I've searched the forum but didn't come up with any info. Any pictures would be helpful too. Thanks far any info in advance.

Ron
    '82 Mustang GT 408, 5 speed, Road and Track car
    '72 Torino Sport Fastback-460, C6, 3:70 Trac-Loc, Triple black
    '65 Falcon Hardtop-289, C4, 3:00 9"
    '32 Roadster 302, 2 barrel, 3 speed, 8"

"Paradise Road.."-John Milner-AmericanGraffiti

That will be sweet!!!!! I will be watching this....When you start please post pics would love to see the outcome.
    Have:1986 Mustang GT Silver on Red, 5.0, 5 Speed
    1985 Mustang LX Red on Red 2.3 auto The Turd!
    Had: 1990 Thunderbird SC Red on Black 3.8 SC 5 Speed
    1969 Olds Cutlass S 350 Rocket auto, 12.5 Qt. Mile.
    1970 Chevelle SS 396 375 hp First car
    1977 & 79 Camaro Z/28 400 SBC auto
    1985 Camaro IROC Z Stock 5.0 auto
    1987 Camaro IROC Z Stock 5.7 auto
    1983 Olds Cutlass 350 Rocket auto 13.8 Qt. Mile
    1985 Mustang GT Black on Gray, 5.0, 5 Speed R.I.P.

I don't have the answers either, but the supercharger swap sounds like a neat idea. You'll end up with a car that's way more unique than if it had a 5.0 swap.
    82 9D Black Magic 5.0
    82 1C Black Magic 5.0

I have seen this done by someone in muncie, indiana. Worked great and looked fairly factory because they, like you, had the entire setup. I do not recall things like the k member or nothing like that.
    1986 GT
    347 n/a 11:1 comp
    AOD Lentech
    4.56 gears
    11.27@119.1

ive always wanted to see someone do this. i will be watching this thread. also i see supercoupes at the junkyards a lot so if you need any part in particular let me know and il will try to find it.
    1984 California Highway Patrol unit # 2940
    1984 GT350
    1986 GT 2R all original
    1986 LX 5.0 8Y notch

Also subscribing. Please post pictures and document how you do it! I've been wondering about this swap and would love to see what is actually involved.

I say do it. Should be a pretty straight forward swap. My bro had a SC and that thing hauled ass even with all the weight of a T bird body... that engine in a Stang with some 3.55 gears would be downright amazing.

If you go ahead with this build, post pics... LOTS of pics.
    '86 Capri 5.0, black with charcoal interior, 5 spd, fully restored, mildly modded.

'86 Capri 5.0, white with black interior, C4, rotisserie restored, heavily modded.

Check out tccoa.com. they will have a lot of the info you're looking for over there. I do know that if you want to do a 5-speed swap that the trans in the manual supercoupes is a Mazda trans and not a Ford trans. Can't remember exactly what trans it is off the top of my head.
    1993 5.0 GT 5 Speed. Flowmaster American Thunder cat back, high flow 2 cat 2 1/2" h-pipe, underdrives, weld in full lengh sub frame connectors, bbk strut tower brace, UPR Blu Thunder shifter, air silencer removed with K&N drop in, soon to have mac equal length headers.

1986 GT 5 speed: gone but not forgotten... I miss you girl!!!

FEP Power Member black1980fiveoh's Avatar

Its been done and looks great. I'm sure he is a member here, I just can't remember his forum name. If I recall, He said the wiring was the hardest part of the swap. Neil, Whtlth79RS, might know his e-mail address.
    1980 Cobra http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2364382
    11.82@115 mph - 2015 - retired due to cancer
    1981 Cobra
    reborn with a lot of new go fast parts and time to make it look pretty
    11.80 @114 mph - 2016

Subscribing. Good luck Ron and please post many photos to document the swap.

Gerry
    85 GT, 331 Stroker, Forged crank/pistons, AFR185's, 1.6 rollers, CompCams blower cam (35-312-8 ), Performer RPM Intake, Summit Racing 600, MAC 1 3/4" Ceramic Shorties, Stainless 2 1/2" X-pipe, MAC Cat-back w/ 3" tail pipes, Poly bushings front 2 back, 10.5" clutch upgrade, WC T-5, Pro 5.0 Shifter, Tri-ax handle, Granitelli LCA's, BBK Specific Rates, 8.8 w/ 3.73's & Ground Pounder Girdle kit.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od4j41_xXQM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSPrj...eature=related

FEP Member

Thanks for the support guys. I have to go to Virginia Beach first weekend in March to pick up the car but the rest is here with the exception of the 5 speed. I have the automatic that came from the Super Coupe but what fun is that going to be?
    There is a guy here close by who's heavy into these Super Coupes. He will probably have all what I need for the swap. I'm hoping anyway. Looks like the Mustang is 1000-1100 lbs lighter than the Thunderbird right off the bat.
    As soon as I bring home the car I'll start taking some pics. Keep watching. Any additional info would be great. Thanks, Ron
    Last edited by Ronald Murphy Jr; 02-02-2011 at 07:57 PM. Reason: More info

I am very interested in following this swap, good luck with it
    JP
    79 Capri RS 2.3t / 4spd (project)
    79 Pace Car 2.3T / 4spd (driving project)
    79 Pace Car 5.0/auto ( project)
    84 GT White 5spd T-Top (project)
    86 Tan/Tan 3.8/auto (daughter's project)
    87 LX vert Red 2.3/auto
    07 4.0 Grabber Orange 5spd (Modified Mustangs Nov.07 Cover)

Sounds cool!

If I could have got my hands on a SC 3.8,I would have liked to turbocharged it instead of going the 351 route that I did in my '90. Being built for boost from the factory it probably would have made a really strong combo.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

would a T5 not bolt up to a 3.8? what did the 94-up v6 5spd stangs use?
    1984 Mustang GT - BUILT 351W 5spd
    1985 LTD LX - 306, 3" exhaust, 87+ Front brakes
    1985 LTD Wagon - 5.0 5spd project
    1985 LTD LX - 347 Stroker 5spd, Cobra 5-lug brakes, 17" Cobra R's....

FEP Member

They used a T5 with a one piece case. Bell housing is cast into the tranny. Looks as if I could use either one as long as the clearances (floorpan, shifter location, etc) fall into place.

I'm doing research everyday in regards to interchanges between the newer and older 3.8's. Looks like a lot will interchange. Some direct bolt on. Some with a little fabrication. It's an adventure for sure.

I've had a few Mustangs but all were V8's. Feels like unknown territory with this this one.

That is correct. All Super Coupes used an M5R2 Transmission that was specific to the Super Coupe. It was based on the f150 truck trans for the fact that the Super Coupe motor produces so much torque.

As per your question of has it been done....YES!!! Many times. I personally know a guy that did just this in his 92 Mustang. A few issues will be the intercooler set up (trust me you need it!!!) and trans fitment. The auto Super Coupe used a standard aod trans that has modified shifter linkage to allow the longer linkage for the size of the SC.

The AOD version is really not bad at all also.....I have had the AOD and presently own a 95 5-speed SC and the AOD must be built right to withstand long term use, but the 5-speed will take some modification.

Where you exactly located? I'm in Northern Jersey and did help run the National Super Coupe club at one time. KNow a lot of those guys.

Anyway, contact me if you have any questions that maybe I can help with.

There are some things you will want to do to the SC motor prior to install. Give me a ring at 973-277-4294 for the details since I hate to type all that out

Either way, my 95 5-speed car is 400 hp at the wheels...you can get a really fast mustang on that!!! Mine is modified though !!!!

Don

FEP Member

That sounds GREAT! I'm an hour and a half due north of NYC. Straight up I-684 then north on Rt 22 in Dutchess County.
    I've been in contact with Randall B. of Clinton Corners who is heavy into the SC's. You probably know him if you were involved with the SC's before. I bought the setup I have for this swap from him a year or so ago for another swap but this seemed more practical to do.
    I will give you a call when I get the car home and the snow has melted. Maybe we can get together, I'll come down, grab a slice or 2 and talk about this swap and what needs to be done. On me of course!
    Thanks alot for reaching out. Talk more later. Ron

Ron any information you dig up please pass along. I am also getting ready to do this as soon as I get my truck up and running. I bought the 86 mustang coupe just for this swap ended up putting a 5.0 in to use as a daily driver till truck is ready. My donor is a 93 SC motor freshly built by me. The owner bought a GTO the SC has sat. Good luck. Jeremy

FEP Member

jnkyd1... I'm picking the car up down there near you in Va Beach. Will be there visiting my son and his wife for a few days. He's in the Navy there and works at Portsmouth Navy Hospital. Maybe we can swap some info while I'm there. Let me know if you are up for that.

I'll keep posting whatever find, hopefully with some links. Ron

Sorry for the delayed response. Sound good to me. When you planning on coming down?

FEP Member

March 2-8. PM me a number and we'll give you a call and look you up. Ron

It soulds like a cool idea. Here was another thread on the subject:

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ht=super+coupe

Don't know of the outcome on this one though...
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

FEP Member

I read through the whole story. It's a shame. He was lead around by the nose by a hack mechanic who took his money and had no clue as to what he was doing. The owner didn't know what direction he was going in either.

I've done the research, have both manuals, all harnesses needed, been in contact with a certified Ford mechanic who specializes in repinning, reprograming and rewiring Ford computers and harnesses. He has done several swaps for local guys here wanting efi V8's in early Rangers, street rods etc. He does not come cheap but is well worth the cost. He can have the car running in an hour and the complete finished project meaning all factory gauges, switches, pumps, everything electrical sealed up, buttoned up, turn key in about 6 hours.
    Cost? about $500 with tip. Well worth it to me. My eyes don't work so well reading schematics.
    We'll see when I get the car home here and tear into it.

I looked up the location of Millerton and you're not far away. I can introduce you to someone in Enfield, CT who put a 3.8 SC into a '95 Mustang. He added an intercooler and the whole installation looks very professional.

Default Randy

Randy of the Redwoods...Know him well as we have spoken many times on the phone and on the boards. He just actually sold a great 95 5 speed car.

Anyway, he can help you with parts and many other things since he has so many of these cars (and parts!!!)

keep in touch, like to see how it comes out. Thinking of doing this swap on my 65 Falcon!!!

Don''

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast