Close

Default Ford Jr's 1980 Capri Conv.

Sorry if this is a repost, but I could not find anything when I searched.
    Not my car, just posting because I thought it was interesting.

"1980 Mercury Custom Prototype,

This one of a kind prototype started out as a new 1980 Mercury Capri. William Clay Ford Jr., now Chairman of the Board of Ford Motor Company, had this car titled to him. (see car invoice). He contracted with Andy Hotton Associates (see invoice) to modify the car as follows: Install Roush 302 engine (see invoice), replace rear end with Mercedes style rear end, make into a convertible, special paint, Star Wire wheels and more. According to an Andy Hotton associate, this car was used as the guide for the ASC McLaren prototypes made in 1984. Mr. Ford passed the car to a young lady who sold it to my niece in 1986. She drove it little, then put it in a garage. It has 16,922 miles on it. I purchased the car from her to help her out of a financial problem. I transported the car to Florida where it is now located."

Last edited by OX1; 01-30-2011 at 07:46 AM.
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

Thanks for posting. Unfortunately an overzealous moderator will sterilize your post by removing the link. Seems he hates to see any life in aftermarket convertible forums. This car isn’t really a prototype. AHA was converting these cars for dealers in ’79-81. Probably 50 or so were built. The top was ugly on these AHA convertibles. These seem to be one of the rarest coach convertibles around. Very cool!

Quote Originally Posted by slimwhitman View Post
    Thanks for posting. Unfortunately an overzealous moderator will sterilize your post by removing the link. Seems he hates to see any life in aftermarket convertible forums. This car isn’t really a prototype. AHA was converting these cars for dealers in ’79-81. Probably 50 or so were built. The top was ugly on these AHA convertibles. These seem to be one of the rarest coach convertibles around. Very cool!
    Is it because it is a for sale ad. I'll change it and just post the pics.
    The claim is a prototype/inspiration for the ASCMclaren, which would be much more significant than just a convertible prototype, no???
    Last edited by OX1; 01-30-2011 at 07:45 AM.
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )