Close

FEP Member

Question Engine Builders School?

Is there a school in Canada that teaches you about building engine? I want to become a engine builder and a mechainc. I wanna learn about it all but mostly about building engines. I have NSCC here in Nova Scotia but it is only basic stuff like head gaskets and timing chains. I want pushrod length, piston to valve clearnce, nitrous and even carbed turbos. I am not sure where to go and learn this stuff. I am looking for a school in Canada as United States schooling might not work back in Canada? Not sure though. I wanna do more then just tires and spark plugs.

Let me know what you guys know.

Thanks,
    Alex

i was always interested in this. but have never heard of a school that teaches it. im going to assume that its just something to be learned
    Build your own dreams or help someone else build theirs!

67 Mustang Coupe-Rusty Parts Car
    79 Mustang Cobra- Garage Art/Project Car 11.3@118mph on a 150 shot
    84 Mustang Gt- Bolt On Fun Car
    97 Wrangler Sport- Lifted on 33's - Trail Rig
    08 Mustang Gt- Bolt Ons, 12.89@109

I thought wyotech was good for this.
    85 rs capri (gone)(tbi car)
    86 gt. (cat pee car is gone)
    85 capri rs
    84 coupri,cfi,aod sold
    61 thunderbird

non ford
    70 GMC
    76 MGB

Do what I did. Get a job with an old timer at a small performance shop and learn there. Nobody in school can teach you what you need to learn, and especially not the techniques you pick up along the way working and learning. Every hot rodder I know who knows his stuff learned it all along the way, not in a textbook. Not knocking an education, but in this field nothing trumps experience.
    I've learned a lot along the way, built a whole bunch of motors and get to enjoy my hobby even more (I don't have to pay labor to mod my cars haha). You will have to work your way up from the bottom, hopefully you get lucky and get a great job right from the start.
    1986 GT T-Top 5.0, waiting on trans and IRS swap.
    1988 GT Ragtop, 5.0, T5, 3.73, 03 Cobras with Nittos
    1989 LX Ragtop, 5.0, AOD, shift kit, Pony wheels, baby cam, X pipe and Flowbasterds.
    1984 SVO needs TLC

i took motive power at st. clair college here in windsor. it isn't engine building specific, but the program covers a lot of bases. they have an engine shop with a lot of cool toys (flow bench, engine dyno, chassis dyno). i did the machine work on my dad's .030" over 350 there. i could really get into it but check out the program description to see if you're interested.

http://www.stclaircollege.ca/programs/postsec/motive/

if you have any questions i can probably help.

cale