Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    FEP Member

Take the brake booster if its not toast. Popular upgrade when swapping to disks all around

I can get the probably go back today and get the booster, should I get the master cylinder as well?

Didn't you take the rear axle for the disc brakes?
    Project "WinBacK" 1986 LX Hatchback
    - CA car, 5.0 w/5 speed
    - Cobra 17x8.5's + Modded Mach1 Chin Spoiler + 83-84 Hood & Scoop/85-86 "Blackout"+ FMS Mass Air Kit+ MM Clutch Cable & Quadrant + Fiore Cable Adjuster + MM SFC's+ Wild Rides "Battle Boxes" + Explorer Intake, Converted TB & Injectors, 70 mm Mass Air Meter + BBK Ceramic Shorties + 2.5" Bassani O/R X-Pipe & Cat-Back Exhaust w/ 3" Tips + 3L27 w/ Carbon Fiber Clutches​(out of retirement) + Pistol Grip Shifter + 99-04 GT Front/00 Cobra Rear Disc Brakes

I couldn't because we wouldn't be able to load it back on the trailer

I'm going back this afternoon for the spindles and maybe give the rear end a shot

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by MAD MIKE View Post
    The MC is too big at 1-1/16" and the SN95 prop valve will not correctly bias a Fox Chassis. If changing to rear disc brakes on a drum brake equipped car it is best to install you own prop valve and fine tune it.

85.0 did you find out what year the SN95 is?
    Run the SN95 booster and maser cylinder, gut the rear bias of the fox prop valve (spring, ball) then buy an adjust prop valve that will mount where the lines break on the pass side of the firewall. Been there done that

Quote Originally Posted by D347643 View Post
    Run the SN95 booster and maser cylinder,
    Why? Booster is more or less a preference. The later larger boosters are a PITA to install, beating strut towers and slotting the firewall holes to mount it. If there is some penchant for taking aggression out on a car and wasting a weekend installing it, go right ahead. The stock F-C booster is fine.
    The 1-1/16" MC from the SN95 V6/GT cars is too big for anything on the F-C cars. The pedal ratio on SN95 is different from F-C cars. You will not have the same braking power in an F-C as you would in the SN95.
    -Michael
    '79 Fairmont 5dr 'car guy safe' MM Tech Tips StopTech Brake Bias StopTech White Papers

FEP Member

I've read of more than one case where doing an sn95 swap, while trying to retain the stock fox booster, resulted in a very hard pedal with minimal assist. IIRC didnt the 93 cobra also have a larger booster? I'm just passing on what I've read, the setup I listed works for me with disks all around. The pedal feels great. BTW didnt know that about the different pedal setup with sn95......I'll remember that.

Drew

Hi Trey,
    There's a damaged 98 gt for sale.
    For my 79 Ghia 5.0 I'd better not use the front suspension then, right?
    Only the rear axle can realistically be used.
    Thanks for any advice.
    Hans.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ALE-L21 met Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hans View Post
    Hi Trey,
    There's a damaged 98 gt for sale.
    For my 79 Ghia 5.0 I'd better not use the front suspension then, right?
    Only the rear axle can realistically be used.
    Thanks for any advice.
    Hans.

Hey Hans!

The front suspension can be used if you are converting to 5 lug. The spindles are the 96-04 style which is not recommended on a stock K member due to bump steer issues. They will fit and will work, the bump steer is something that you will have to decide for yourself it it's too much of an issue or not. Others have done it and swear it's not a problem. I personally have never tried, so I can't comment on how much or how bad the bump steer would be. Maximum Motorsports doesn't recommend the swap due to the bump steer issue and I have been lucky enough to find the 94/95 spindles here in the US, so . . . .

The control arms, brakes, spindles, etc. can be swapped onto your 79 if that is the route you want to go. Even if you don't go with the 98 spindles, the brakes are decent to snag for use later if you decide to go with the 94/95 spindles. You can also use the Rack and Pinion with Fox outer tie rod ends if you want a better rack, but that will require the hybrid steering shaft from Maximum Motorsports or others.

Hope that helps! Sorry didn't log on this morning, so late reply.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thanks so much Trey.
    I placed a bid. Now see what the response will be

"The spindles are the 96-04 style which is not recommended on a stock K member due to bump steer issues."
    Can I swap the entire front suspension including the k member in?
    I'll do a search on the web
    Expect a reply on my bid not before next week.

"The spindles are the 96-04 style which is not recommended on a stock K member due to bump steer issues."
    Can I swap the entire front suspension including the k member in?
    I'll do a search on the web
    Expect a reply on my bid not before next week.

The K member is setup for the 4.6 and to my knowledge is not a direct swap to the 5.0, but it may not need much to make the 5.0 fit. The 79 models also has a slightly different K member rear mounting bolt spacing that is different than the later model and the SN95. Can you make it fit and work? Maybe if you are willing to do some fabrication and modifying. I honestly don't know how much as I have not attempted this swap either. I am swapping an 03/04 Cobra K member into my 82 GT with a 5.4 DOHC Navigator engine and a 5 speed, but that's a bit different than this. Good Luck with your bid and project.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Yyyyyeeeesssss!!!!
    Bought a 95 Sn GT.
    Has front end damage. Not too bad. Engine still running. Still drives but belts snapped.
    Finally some modern parts for my mustang. Albeit 25 years old.

Sn95's being delivered tomorrow. Not allowed to store outside because of tax rule.
    Too bad it will take the garage space of my foureye. It's raining for days already.
    The old 79 has not much paint left on it.

Don't like to take apart the 95, but It's a parts car. And cars are expensive to own and drive in this country. At least until they are 40 years old. Until then USD 1172 per year road tax alone for this car.
    Bit much for a fourth car and my wallet.

Sn95's being delivered tomorrow. Not allowed to store outside because of tax rule.
    Explain tax rule. Number of cars in outside. Just curious

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Road tax, emisions and safetytest check must be paid and not overdue. And insuranced too. Else fines come in autmatically.
    Therefore car lisence is suspended. But then the car cannot be photograft from the street, else fines come in still.

Road tax, emisions and safetytest check must be paid and not overdue. And insuranced too. Else fines come in autmatically.
    Therefore car lisence is suspended. But then the car cannot be photograft from the street, else fines come in still.

If that were to happen here in USA there would be millions of people scrambling to hide their cars . lol

Some years back the age that cars get road tax free went from 25 to 40 years.
    The owner of the local scrapyard told that he was scrapping many beautiful classic cars because people couldn't afford the tax. Which especially for US cars is high because of high weight and LPG penalties.
    Government wanted more income. Didn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by dtmilsap View Post
    If that were to happen here in USA there would be millions of people scrambling to hide their cars . lol

Hundreds of millions!!!! LOL
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

Government wanted more income. Didn't work.
    Imagine that....
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

I got it

Hi Hans, I've done pretty much the same thing as you. I bought a 95 V6 parts car last december in IJsselmuiden to upgrade my 79 L4. Had an accident shortly after which bent the 6.75 rear end... but luckily I already had the replacement.
    I've done the front and rear suspension swap and will do the engine and fuel tank swap later.
    It was very easy, nearly everything bolted right in. I wanted to keep the ABS brakes so I did have to find a way to mount the ABS pump. I also swapped the brake booster, the Sn95 is double the size, and one bolt hole is in a different place. I had to hammer the strut tower a bit to fit it and modify the mounting holes but that's really it for the modifications.
    Since I used the 1995 spindles, I did need Sn95 lower control arms ball joints as the Fox ones are much thinner. Again, simple replacement, no swap.
    I kept the Fox springs as I feared the Sn95 springs would be stiffer and the car would sit higher being a good bit lighter.
    I swapped the Sn95 shocks and struts as the front spindles strut mount is narrower than the 79 Fox ones so they wouldn't fit, but the Sn95 struts are longer so I'll have to find a suitable replacement, maybe later Fox ones would fit better ? Sn95 fit anyway, it's fine for now.
    The rear end fits like a glove, same mounting system, even the ABS sensor connectors got through holes in the floor that were there in 1979.
    I think I'll be able to swap the rack and pinion as well by making a "custom" steering shaft using the lower part of the Sn95 shaft and the upper part of the Fox shaft. I need to make some proper measurements but it looks feasible.

Hi SD455,
    That is helpful information. Thanks.
    Never gave the ABS any thought.
    Good to know it can be done.

I also like to use the steering rack because it has a more direct ratio. With the current small roundabouts you notice a difference compared to newer cars. A lot of turning required.

I'm curious about the brakes performance too. From high speed it decelerates not as hard as you would like. I always keep a bit extra distance for good measure.

Good luck with your car.
    We should plan a european foureyed pride gathering sometime
    Perhaps with a foureye parts swap meet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12