Close

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thanks! Yes I am looking forward to it! Already got word the engine and transmission are out and are numbers matching.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    I know Dan will do a good job with it. We've all seen what he has done with his Twister II/Predator and Saleen and Chris' coupes. The Dominator will come back looking good as new.
    Steve
    "Taillights in Your Face Jack? You've just been Dominated!"
    # Link to Facebook Dominator Mustang Fans # # Link to Facebook Predator Mustang Fans #
    # Link to Facebook Twister Mustang Fans #
    Current Stangs: Stangless
    Previously owned:
    84 Black GT, 85 Black T-Top Dominator GT # Link to Restoration Thread # 85 Dominator GT RIP 1995, 85 Predator GT, 83 Dominator GT, 82 Mustang GT

My plans for the restoration are to stay true to the originality of the car as best I can but not so much that I can't drive it and enjoy it. This car has 120K miles on it, there are lower mile 85 Dominators still out there in original form. This car I plan to drive to shows and let people see what a Dominator is. So I want it road worthy and clean for shows. Not trying to win any awards, but want the car to stand out and get noticed.

Exhaust:
    Trying to locate some original mufflers for an 85 so I can get the exhaust back to how it would have been on the Dominators. I have located some Vintage Hooker long tubes, having them coated to make sure they don't rot away like the originals. I have a Y pipe. Having the guy who did all the header installs on the Dominators duplicate how they welded them in.

Engine:
    Going to do as little changing out of original parts as possible. Going to clean and have checked out and paint it per factory specs(Recommendations welcome). Going to have to replace the clutch and have the T-5 gone through.

Exterior:
    Having a new set of Dominator stickers made by the original company that made them. Replacing what decals and logos on the car need replacing. Having a Ford OEM front license plate mount installed as the car was originally a Missouri car and they require two plates by law. The holes are already there. Somebody had removed it. It will wear my Summit Ford Tag. After talking to the guy who made the Dominator stickers, I determined that he was the one who installed the pin striping that had been on my original car(See a few posts back to link about it) . He is going to duplicate that pin striping on this car. Although when I first got that car I was not a fan of it. It grew on me. After all these years of looking for my original, they are a part of me. So I felt the need to put them on her twin.

Deviations from OEM Original:
    I don't have any pictures of my original car with the ARE mesh wheels that I had on it. They were 15x7 gold, only because nobody in town had silver in stock when I wanted them back in the day. Silver was what I wanted to match the other silver pieces on the car. I have a set of 16x7 ARE 3 Piece that I got for a steal so I am going to have them restored and painted silver.

The other deviation I have not 100% decided upon but am contemplating. The drum brakes in the rear scare me. They always have. There already have been times attending shows with the current car where I was concerned I wouldn't get stopped. I want feedback from anyone who has done the rear disc upgrade. Does it significantly help the braking? Based upon feedback I will decide if this is a necessary deviation.
    Steve
    # Link to Facebook Dominator Mustang Fans # # Link to Facebook Predator Mustang Fans #
    Previously owned:
    84 Black GT, 85 Black T-Top Dominator GT # Link to Restoration Thread # 85 Dominator GT RIP 1995, 85 Predator GT, 83 Dominator GT, 82 Mustang GT

Dan works fast! Engine and transmission out... Check!
    Steve
    Previously owned:

Glad to see the restoration is under way....
    1982 TTOP GT-under construction
    1983 Mustang T-top Dominator- black/Black
    85 Gt vert . canyon red/red- Rust heaven
    1982 T-top- Yellow/black
    1984 Turbo GT- Grey/grey

I HATE MUSTANGS !!-
    THE BOSS IS BACK

Quote Originally Posted by bluesfannoz View Post
    My plans for the restoration

Exhaust:
    Trying to locate some original mufflers for an 85 so I can get the exhaust back to how it would have been on the Dominators. I have located some Vintage Hooker long tubes, having them coated to make sure they don't rot away like the originals. I have a Y pipe. Having the guy who did all the header installs on the Dominators duplicate how they welded them in.

I tracked down a guy I knew who had removed his factory 85 exhaust low mile and stored it in his Dad's shed. Actually, he, his brother and I had all done ours about the same time at the same shop. When I sold my car, that exhaust went with it. But I had wondered what had happened to his and his brothers. On Saturday I got a chance to go look around in his Dad's barn and found these. Which are now in my possession.

He also has another set of 85 mufflers but they sat in wet dirt and are rather rusty along the bottom.
    Steve
    Previously owned:

Working on the engine tear down. It appears by residual from the intake gasket by the visible 'Ford' Logo that the intake had never been off this engine.

Steve
    Previously owned:

My Vintage Hooker Headers arrived!

Going to take them and have them coated to hopefully preserve them on the car for a very long time!
    Steve
    Previously owned:

86 50CPRI

I love these resto threads.. cant wait to see more!

Thx! I could have waited to see this... Unforeseen engine troubles...

You shouldn't have pieces of metal like this in the oil pan and your cam shouldn't look like it had a lobotomy!

Quote Originally Posted by 86 50CPRI View Post
    I love these resto threads.. cant wait to see more!
    Steve
    Previously owned:

Time to go bigger, better, faster?
    1982 Dominator GT
    *1st Dominator ever sold and
    autographed by Jackie Stewart *
    1993 Corvette
    2005 Roush Mustang
    2008 Escape
    (DD)

No guys I will be staying stock Have source for OEM lightly used cam
    Steve
    Previously owned:

Here is why the engine came out in the first place. So this could be repaired.
    Steve
    Previously owned:

Nicely repaired! Just a little cleanup and she will be good as new!
    Steve
    Previously owned:

Looking good Steve! Any other pictures or updates?
    1982 Dominator GT
    1993 Corvette
    2005 Roush Mustang
    2008 Escape
    (DD)

He's had another couple of projects going. Engine is at machine shop. I have not had a lot of time to work on parts cleaning and painting. I will post up pics when I do.
    Steve
    Previously owned:

More Progress on the Dominator!
    Steve
    Previously owned:

Looks awesome Steve! I still think you should paint it the original black, but I it will certainly be unique in that shade of lavender you picked out!
    Chris Lott
    '81 Cobra T-Top - Black
    '85 Dominator GT - Black, 24k miles
    '85 Predator GT302R #150R - Light Regatta Blue
    '85 Predator GT302 Convertible #119 - White w/blue stripes For Sale
    '86 Texas DPS Mustang (Unit # unknown) - undergoing resto

Darn it Chris you spilled the beans! They call it LaDomvender! Its going to be sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by 02Z06 View Post
    Looks awesome Steve! I still think you should paint it the original black, but I it will certainly be unique in that shade of lavender you picked out!
    Steve
    Previously owned:

Steve, did you decide to go with the pink dingleberries hanging from the ceiling with the matching furry dice from the rear view mirror?
    1982 Dominator GT
    1993 Corvette
    2005 Roush Mustang
    2008 Escape
    (DD)

Groovy! And a Chain link steering wheel!

Quote Originally Posted by bull-vette View Post
    Steve, did you decide to go with the pink dingleberries hanging from the ceiling with the matching furry dice from the rear view mirror?
    Steve
    Previously owned:

OMG! With the hydraulics you plan on putting on it, you are going to have the baddest Dominator on the planet!
    1982 Dominator GT
    1993 Corvette
    2005 Roush Mustang
    2008 Escape
    (DD)

Dan does such nice work. The frame looks outstanding.
    Stan
    1986 Ford Mustang Saleen #80 Gray/gray
    1986 Mercury Capri ASC McLaren Coupe#20 Black/silver, gone.
    1985 GT Silver/gray T-top car, gone
    1985 Canyon Red Turbo coupe, gone

will you use chain or straps for limiters when you hop the car at events?
    HARVESTER OF EYES

DAMN IT! LET THE RABBITS WEAR GLASSES, SAID THE CRIES OF THE CARROT.
    YOU SHOULD NEVER SMOKE IN PAJAMAS, YOU COULD CATCH ON FIRE AND BURN YOUR FACE.

Definitely a chain made from fish weights and Stren line. Likely 100lb test.

Quote Originally Posted by PIGBOY View Post
    will you use chain or straps for limiters when you hop the car at events?
    Steve
    Previously owned:

Is she "back in black" yet, Steve?
    Chris Lott
    '81 Cobra T-Top - Black
    '85 Dominator GT - Black, 24k miles
    '85 Predator GT302R #150R - Light Regatta Blue
    '85 Predator GT302 Convertible #119 - White w/blue stripes For Sale
    '86 Texas DPS Mustang (Unit # unknown) - undergoing resto

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast