Close

Default 85 GT seat question

These are the stock factory seats on my early production 85 GT. I know that the red piping is not in the normal location, it seems to be in the 84 style outer edge. Did 84 GT seats come in these colors?

This is the tag I found on the bottom of the seat.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

After looking at my seats they are different. I didnt know that there were seats with other piping locations... Glad you asked this because I was looking for a driver seat and no doubt would have purchased a 84 or so with out knowing. I know this isnt helping you... but maybe it will make you feel good knowing you helped me lol. Either way the seats look like they are in great shape.

FEP Super Member

That's neat, I have never seen that before.

I have also never seen a seat belt hook on a hardtop car.

Are you certain that they've never been re-upholstered?
    Former Foxes:
    1983 Fairmont Futura 4dr
    1986 Mustang LX 2.3 4 speed
    1985 Mustang GT
    1985 GT - 357w, T5, 8.8 w/ 4.10's.
    Best ET 13.5639, Best Mph 102.39
    1988 LX 5.0 AOD notch, bone stock no options except A/C
    1980 Mercury Capri RS Turbo, 50k mile survivor.
    1987 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe....ratty but fun.
    1992 Mustang GT convertible 85k from original owner

Matt I wondered about the seat belt hook myself. The hooks also look after market to me, but it has been a while since I have seen a 85 86 convert.

I can't tell for sure, but I believe his car is a convertible. If so, then I believe the seat belt hook is correct.

I just looked on TMI site at their upholstery and they show the same gray from 84-86. I know that does really help, but I thought they might show a difference.

What I did find interesting is that the rear seat piping they show matches the front seats shown at the top of the post. I don't have any 84-86 cars anymore, so I have nothing to reference.

This should be interesting!

http://www.mustangupholstery.com/lit...9_fox_body.pdf

Trey

Huh... my rear seats do have the piping to the outside like the seats shown. What is the world coming to?

That seems to be the norm, but I had never noticed the difference until now!

Interesting! Very Very Interesting!

Trey

Default more pics

It is a conv. and they are the original seats. I have owned this since march of 86. Bought it from Regent Ford in Orland Park, Il. Was told it was a Ford executive car. It had 15000 miles on it when I got it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by jeff85; 03-06-2011 at 04:24 PM.

I know I have seen seats just like yours before. In fact I thought yours were the norm until I looked at some other pictures.

I wonder if Ford had different suppliers and that caused a slight difference in the seats?

Either way its cool and nice looking interior by the way!

Trey

Wow that is a clean interior. I am jealous. Would it be too much to ask for a picture of the outside of the car? I love the 85 and 86 cars.

There's one in my album. I'm going to post more when I can get it cleaned up but this Chicago winter stuff is holding me back!

That is wild...never seen that before. Tell us more about your car...is it still a low mile car, because the enterior sure looks as such! Brings back memories of the '85 GT Vert I sold last summer with only 41k on the clock. Very nice man...can't wait to see more.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

That piping is different. Huh. Learn something new all the time.

For comparison:
    http://www.ascmclarencoupe.com/Other...14868/68_3.jpg

I hadn't thought about it until I looked at my SVO today, but your piping is in the same location as the SVO cloth seats.

Hmm, makes me wonder?

Trey

Those seats are wild. Never seen that style of piping before. I dig the matching back seats.
    '85GT Bright Atlantic Blue
    '92LX Bimini Blue-sold
    '93 COBRA Teal Metallic-sold
    '86SVO Oxford White-sold
    '86GT 'Vert True Blue-sold
    '81'GT' Medium Red-sold

Considering the very early unit number of this car, the seats are probably left over from '84. The piping location on these seats is the same on the '84 Articulated Sport (Mustang)/Functional Sport (Capri) seats.

The tag indicates they were originally designed for '84 Mustang and the "LSI" acronym is for Lear-Seigler Inc, the OEM manufacturer of the AS/FS seating.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 01-08-2011 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Considering the very early unit number of this car, the seats are probably left over from '84. The piping location on these seats is the same on the '84 Articulated Sport (Mustang)/Functional Sport (Capri) seats.

The tag indicates they were originally designed for '84 Mustang and the "LSI" acronym is for Lear-Seigler Inc, the OEM manufacturer of the AS/FS seating.
    Damn dude you really know your stuff when it comes to this cars

Quote Originally Posted by db302gt View Post
    Damn dude you really know your stuff when it comes to this cars
    He just doesn't understand the GURU, Foxchassis is the local guru of cars on this site. If he dont know it no one knows it.

Except he cant tell me how many 83 GT convertible mustangs were built?

I have a question. Is it possible to put the convertible seat belt hooks on seats out of a hardtop car? I ask because my '85 GT convertible has seats from a hard top car, but I don't have the hooks to hold the seat belt in the correct position. I'm getting ready to re-foam and reupholster the front seats.
    1985 Mustang GT conv. modified 4180C, Weiand Street Warrior intake, equal length headers, true dual exhaust, 3.55:1 8.8'' rear end, 2003 V6 T5, Ford Racing 10.5" clutch.

1998 Mustang GT auto. PI swapped. Daily beater

Quote Originally Posted by Mgino757 View Post
    I have a question. Is it possible to put the convertible seat belt hooks on seats out of a hardtop car? I ask because my '85 GT convertible has seats from a hard top car, but I don't have the hooks to hold the seat belt in the correct position. I'm getting ready to re-foam and reupholster the front seats.
    Is it possible...yes, anything is. Is it a direct bolt on...no, the convertible seats are different in that they have a heavy wire that runs the perimeter inside the foam. There is a steel plate attached to this wire behind the seat cover that the seat belt hook attaches to. Do a search on my posts from when I went through my 85 vert and you will see the details. I replaced my seat cushions, and because of this, I had to weld that plate to the frame given all the reproduction foam is for regular cars and not vert specific.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Quote Originally Posted by bwguardian View Post
    Is it possible...yes, anything is. Is it a direct bolt on...no, the convertible seats are different in that they have a heavy wire that runs the perimeter inside the foam. There is a steel plate attached to this wire behind the seat cover that the seat belt hook attaches to. Do a search on my posts from when I went through my 85 vert and you will see the details. I replaced my seat cushions, and because of this, I had to weld that plate to the frame given all the reproduction foam is for regular cars and not vert specific.
    I guess I'll just have to live without it then.
    1985 Mustang GT conv. modified 4180C, Weiand Street Warrior intake, equal length headers, true dual exhaust, 3.55:1 8.8'' rear end, 2003 V6 T5, Ford Racing 10.5" clutch.

1998 Mustang GT auto. PI swapped. Daily beater