Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I didn't want to start a new thread on headlight relays. But from all the ones I've read I still can't figure out how to do it. One guy on here used a set of relays and a set of breakers. I want to do that but I have no idea how to wire up everything.

The kit was very easy once you have the wiring diagram.

You just unplug the passenger side headlight. The kits connecter will have to be cut to fit. One wire to the battery, one wire to ground.

The new plugs need to be changed to work with H4656 and H4651.

Use the bottom diagram. Use a small flat screw driver to remove the pins and reinsert into the correct position.

I simple test light can confirm its right before you reinstall the headlights.
    1969 Corvette 496 Roadster, Gas Guzzler
    2011 Mazda 2, Gas Saver

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody View Post
    I didn't want to start a new thread on headlight relays. But from all the ones I've read I still can't figure out how to do it. One guy on here used a set of relays and a set of breakers. I want to do that but I have no idea how to wire up everything.
    I hear ya!!! I thought about buying the RJM harness then reverse engineering it and doing a complete DIY write-up...

Cool thanks - so it's PNP & you didn't have to cut any factory wires? Just had to swap pins on the RJM stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by ddawson View Post
    The kit was very easy once you have the wiring diagram.

You just unplug the passenger side headlight. The kits connecter will have to be cut to fit. One wire to the battery, one wire to ground.

The new plugs need to be changed to work with H4656 and H4651.

Use the bottom diagram. Use a small flat screw driver to remove the pins and reinsert into the correct position.

I simple test light can confirm its right before you reinstall the headlights.

Correct. Remove pins from connector and reinsert in the correct location.

Other then that the connector that plugs into the existing headlight wiring needs to be addressed. Cutting the RJM would be a simple fix.

The connector just below the power lead needs to be cut in half.

1969 Corvette 496 Roadster, Gas Guzzler
    2011 Mazda 2, Gas Saver

Quote Originally Posted by n20capri View Post
    Is it normal for me to have 2 different plugs?
    Yeah the high beam doesnt need the third socket since it doesnt have a low beam in the bulb
    No Longer a 4I Owner
    But Have way too much 4I stuff Collecting Dust.

The low side or outer has a high and low where the inside headlight just has high beam so when your lights are on high all four headlights should light up
    No Longer a 4I Owner

Love that harness it would have made my life easier on my relay job yet, i didnt want to spend the cash and i would rather have a circuit breaker like i used in my install.

Quote Originally Posted by ddawson View Post
    No Longer a 4I Owner

I started doing this today.....

With the drivers' side head light on, engine off, I had 10.5 volts at the passenger side harness. 11.9v at the battery (lights on).

I built a harness for the passenger side. Tested the voltage. 11.9V at the new pigtail!!!!

My lights should be much brighter now.

I'm going a little different route though.

I'm doing separate hi/low relays AND separate left and right relays. I'm hoping this resolves the message centre light.

I'll post pics when I'm done the harness.

Quote Originally Posted by steam_mill View Post

With the drivers' side head light on, engine off, I had 10.5 volts at the passenger side harness. 11.9v at the battery (lights on).

I built a harness for the passenger side. Tested the voltage. 11.9V at the new pigtail!!!!

I'm doing separate hi/low relays AND separate left and right relays. I'm hoping this resolves the message centre light.

That probably will work. But I kind of liked the "headlight on" reminder with the harness I made for my old 85.
    86 Notch under construction

2011 4Runner Trail edition
    2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Can you post details with pics and a little write-up on what you end up doing...and how/where all the wires go please? I want to do this wiring upgrade so bad - just not confident on what goes where...I can soldier so that's good! lol.

Quote Originally Posted by steam_mill View Post

Quote Originally Posted by n20capri View Post
    Can you post details with pics and a little write-up on what you end up doing...and how/where all the wires go please? I want to do this wiring upgrade so bad - just not confident on what goes where...I can soldier so that's good! lol.
    basically, all I did was follow this link and it is pretty easy. To connect to the existing harness at the headlights, I used spade connectors for the lows and highs. Only different thing I did was used separate relays for right and left.

I'll be finishing it in the next couple of days and will snap some pics.

Also, another good site for info:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...ys/relays.html

I've completed the harness:

The uniqueness is that, as I had said in an earlier post, I used relays for high and low and left and right. I did this mainly as an experiment. Probably overkill though. I also did this because I wanted to solder all connections and could not figure out where to pass the harness from left to right. In this way, I only needed to run one wire from left to right. This wire is the only wire to use a connector. The whole harness is plug and play. Ablsolutley no change to factory wiring.

It will be installed with relays right behind the headlight buckets. The relays or wiring (except the power wire), will not be visible.

Here is a cost breakdown in canadian dollars with tax included:

Pigtail ($6 each - PartSource) - $24
    Relay ($6.50 each - Princess Auto) - $26
    Shrink Wrap - $4
    Wire - $5
    Loom - $4
    Connectors $5
    Tape - $1

Cost a little less than $100. I also bought two new high beam sealed beams ($11 each - I already had the silverstars for low beams).

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the dual "output" (87) relays from another headlight thread. I got 3 from Hella for Hi, Low, and my fog lights. Haven't wired it yet, but I'll probably tuck the wiring/relays behind a fender well and use fresh wiring from the relays, just rewiring the existing H4 pigtails. It's down the list a ways, LOL.
    Ed

"The Dude abides."

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    A headlamp relay "kit" specifically for our cars, without having to do any cutting or splicing, has been on my mind to make for some time now. Along with many other small projects. One of these days I might have to get some of these things going.

I did order some H4/9003 (also used for 4656) male and female plug connector kits from here: http://www.comagination.com
    I know this is a very old thread but has there been any developments in a relay kit for our cars? Maybe this was addressed through a different thread?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12