Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Headlight relay part, point me to the right place

I've read many many threads on the relay upgrade.

The one thing I haven't found is a source for some form of a pigtail.
    I don't want to hack up the existing wiring so I can revert it if needed.

Does anyone have a link to something like this??

I did find this for the 4656 but it's for a H4 conversion.
    http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=120
    1969 Corvette 496 Roadster, Gas Guzzler
    2011 Mazda 2, Gas Saver

Whoever makes a plug-in kit would be a hero.

I'd love to see one and would buy one.

-Mike

A headlamp relay "kit" specifically for our cars, without having to do any cutting or splicing, has been on my mind to make for some time now. Along with many other small projects. One of these days I might have to get some of these things going.

I did order some H4/9003 (also used for 4656) male and female plug connector kits from here: http://www.comagination.com

So the H4 connector is the same that it used on the headlight??

If that's the case would this work.
    http://www.racinglab.com/kyoplheduwih4.html
    2011 Mazda 2, Gas Saver

Same connector, different arrangement of the wires in the plug. That can be fixed by just swapping wires at the plug. No need for a conversion harness.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

You can also buy H4 pigtails at advance auto and most other chain parts stores. That's where I got mine when I made a relay harness. BIG difference in light output even with sealed beams.

I ordered the Racelap pigtail. I know the color coding will be wrong but I can live with that.

I'll cut the low beam wire and add a relay in between. Thanks for the diagram FoxChassis.

Silverstars are on order as well.
    2011 Mazda 2, Gas Saver

Only reason I haven't gone past buying connectors is finding auto wire with striped insulation that matches (or is at least close to) the factory wiring, at a reasonable price.

If you're as big a cheapass as me, just get identical pigtails from the junkyard, for the secondary circuit side. These will plug into your car's lights.
    I would just attach male spade connectors to the relay's primary circuit wires which plug into your car's factory headlight connectors.
    If you wanted to, you could make actual plugs for the primary circuit interface, by riveting L-shaped spade lugs onto something non-conductive, arranging them so that they plug right in to the car's original connector. You will need two relays, one for the low beams and one for the highs. And a third one if you're running auxiliaries.

For my current Stang, I made a completely plug-and-play relay harness for the fog lights, by cutting the female plugs from a parts car, and one male plug from a junk fog light. I also used one of the relays from the parts car. I chose the relay which looked to have the thickest secondary circuit wiring (but had to move a pin on the connector to convert to "normally open" operation, if I remember correctly). I even used a ring terminal and the wire it was crimped onto, from the parts car, to power the secondary circuit straight off of the the main post on the starter solenoid. It works nicely.
    Last edited by grabbergreen84; 01-06-2011 at 07:07 PM.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    A headlamp relay "kit" specifically for our cars, without having to do any cutting or splicing, has been on my mind to make for some time now. Along with many other small projects. One of these days I might have to get some of these things going.
    If you make 'em, I WILL buy one!

Justin
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 CFI/AOD (originally)
    Now: 306, AFR 185s, Edelbrock Victor Jr. 302 Intake, Pro-Systems 4150HP, FTI/Ed Curtis custom cam, 170amp large case 3G Alternator, PA AOD with Silverfox SPT-MAC valve body, 3500rpm Stall, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, MM C/C plates, Tokico HP's, MM full length SFC's, SN95 Cobra brakes front and rear, 31 spline Fox length 8.8" with 4.10's, MM rear lowers and FRPP uppers, a few other MM suspension goodies, Jet Hot ceramic coated FRPP shorties, Pypes X-pipe, SpinTech Pro Streets and some other go fast parts.

1984 Mustang LX 5.0 4bbl/T5 (Sold)

LS swaps are the hair implants of the car world. Sure the owner is proud, but everyone else is laughing.

As already said, headlamp relay "kit" already exists for our cars ... just get a H4 relay kit and rotate wires on the plugs ... not cutting, no splicing, just a small screwdriver required.
    '79 Pace Car 5.0 (well 4.2 until better days)
    '80 Capri 2.3 (sold ) - '79 Hatchback 2.3 (sold ) - '80 Notchback 3.3 (junk yard )

Another thing I wanted to accomplish with a relay kit is keeping the "headlight out" warning lamp functional, again without any cutting, or splicing, etc.

It would likely require some splicing but this looks like a nice kit.

http://www.ronfrancis.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HR-58
    1982 Capri resto-mod ~~

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Another thing I wanted to accomplish with a relay kit is keeping the "headlight out" warning lamp functional, again without any cutting, or splicing, etc.
    Looks like just a matter or re-wiring the resistive wire that goes to the warning display but haven't figured out how yet.
    '80 Capri 2.3 (sold ) - '79 Hatchback 2.3 (sold ) - '80 Notchback 3.3 (junk yard )

Painless makes the headlight relay harnesses. #30814 and 30815 for 2 lights (just the high beams) or 4 headlights. They are expensive though.

http://rjminjectiontech.com/products/headlight-harness

I bought for my SVO and love it, was very easy to install and made a big difference. You retain all the factory wiring (for the most part) as you plug one of the original headlight sockets into the harness and then the sockets from the new harness go to the headlights. I made a thread here when i installed it

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=115905
    Last edited by midnite9150; 08-05-2011 at 06:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by midnite9150 View Post
    http://rjminjectiontech.com/products/headlight-harness

I bought for my SVO and love it, was very easy to install and made a big difference. You retain all the factory wiring (for the most part) as you plug one of the original headlight sockets into the harness and then the sockets from the new harness go to the headlights. I made a thread here when i installed it

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=115905
    Looks like that's only for SVO's! That's too bad 'cause I need it for my Capri...

Lets all ask him to make a 4656 kit. I would think there would be a good market for it.
    2011 Mazda 2, Gas Saver

"Quad Sealed Beam" is available for $89.00. It's the last choice in the drop-down box above the blue Add to Cart button.

The ONLY reason I'm not sold on that or any other kit is that headlight out warning won't work correctly. If they could figure out how to make that work correctly instead of ignoring that OEM function or saying" there is a way" but not explaining how, I'd go for it.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Headlights-out warning still works ... not the same way, that's all. With relays, take it as a headlights-on reminder

Damn ... as i don't have enough to think about, couldn't remove the idea of making the module work again as it should now

According to the '79 EVTM, the resistor used by the module to identify a burned headlights bulb is in between two splices (S804 and S805) which are located somewhere between C212 (steering column dimmer connector) and C201/209 (located in the engine bay ?).
    The resistor that has to be reproduced on the bulb side of the relay harness will need to be calculated so the module reads 0.5v when the bulb is ok and 0.25v when the bulb is dead. We might be able to measure actual resistor between C243 (red/black wire) and C244 (brown/pink wire) to get a reference point. C243 and C244 are the module connectors, behind console.

I guess the easy way would be to introduce the resistor just before the bulb. Then, all that'll be needed will be to run new wires to C243/C244 and let the factory ones loose (so mod can be reversed if needed). However, introducing a resistor in the bulb power might affect the bulbs efficiency ...
    Another consideration is that if you retain the bulb-outage function, it'll tell you when the bulb die, which is ok, but won't tell you when the relay die ...
    Last edited by TuxStang; 08-05-2011 at 01:44 PM.

I'm trying the RJM kit now. The OEM low/high beam socket doesn't fit the plug on the RJM harness.

The Headlight plugs fit fine, but it looks like I have to cut the OEM plug off which I wanted to avoid.

Always something.
    2011 Mazda 2, Gas Saver

Update, Forgot I had some adapters so I used one of those.

I also could have just cut the overlap off so the male connectors were exposed as well.

I had to remove all the connections and use the correct ground/high/low because they are set for a H4 system.
    2011 Mazda 2, Gas Saver

Quote Originally Posted by ddawson View Post
    Update, Forgot I had some adapters so I used one of those.

I also could have just cut the overlap off so the male connectors were exposed as well.

I had to remove all the connections and use the correct ground/high/low because they are set for a H4 system.
    So you had to modify this harness anyway? Can you post more details on the install please? I'm thinking about getting the RJM kit too. Do the fog lights still work with this kit?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast