Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Capri?

Thanks FoxChassis,
    That info helps a bunch.

We are hoping to travel about a hundred miles from home Saturday to look at & perhaps buy an 83-5.0-5speed Capri with a lot of conversions done to it evidently.
    I haven't seen it yet. The owner says it's a funny red, has lots of rust, but is mechanically sound with decent tires & disc brakes all around.
    For $1200 we decided it was worth the drive.

I have seen two original '83 Mustang window stickers, one from a GLX 5.0L convertible and one from a GT hatchback, and both were ordered with the SROD and came with a $124 credit.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    I have seen two original '83 Mustang window stickers, one from a GLX 5.0L convertible and one from a GT hatchback, and both were ordered with the SROD and came with a $124 credit.
    even back then they had to pay you to take an srod,no offence.
    past fox: 89 lx 5.0 notch dearly missed

Default Red 83 Capri half-breed

I came to the rescue of a red 83 (RS?) this afternoon.
    VIN 1MEBP79DF615304
    No door tag or Buck tag.

It is a true Iowa (half breed) rust bucket.
    It features:
    Thunderbird Turbocoupe 373 rear-end.
    Mustang GT back hatch.
    15" GT turbine wheels (I don't have a clue on these).
    1 all red sport & 1 red/black sport front seat that matches the back seat. (None of them in very good condition.)
    Plenty of rust underneath & on the rear quarter panels.
    Dented cowl where the hood flew up & creased it at some point.
    Off colored replacement hood pins & RS Scoop.
    Tiny bubbles in the re-paint job everywhere.
    dual feed 650 double pumper.
    long headers,
    H pipe, & flowmasters.

It's missing the radio, kick panels, headliner, door lock bezels, left door handle/lock (only opens with a key),
    spare tire, cats, tail pipes, & various parts in the engine compartment.
    Surprisingly the body feels tight, without any vibration on the open road.
    Buying another Capri is like feeding quinine to a Malaria patient, it only relieves the fever for a little while.

Dos the one front seat that matches the rear seat look like this?:

http://ascmclarencoupe.com/Literatur...or_book_15.jpg

No, it has red fabric centers with black velour trim around the outside.
    I just posted a bunch of photos of the car including one of the seats in my new album called capstang

ron

Looks the same as what I posted...black w/ red center, which would be Crimson Cat seating.

I think I might be seeing the Buck Tag behind the driver-side upper bumper cover bracket.

You definitely have better trained eyes for these things than I do. I'll look at it again tomorrow to see if I can find the Buck tag where you say.
    It wasn't where I have seen the buck tag before on these Capris.
    I thought the Crimson Cats had vinyl/leather trim on the seats not Velour?
    The car is not a true red like the Crimson Cats, it has medium red paint everywhere that I can see.
    Not to say that the one front seat & the rear couldn't have been robbed from a cat at some time in the past??? That would kind of bum me out, not knowing the fate of the Crimson Cat they came from, if that were so.
    Ron

Good Eye!
    I expanded the original photo & sure enough there is the tag right where you said.
    I will defend my search abilities by saying it was -6º wind chill this afternoon when I was looking & I don't function well in cold weather!
    Never did, and at 68 I am now worse than ever with it.
    Ron

Crimson Cat seats were cloth, black with red centers. The rest of the interior was black. The "Int Trim" code (on the VC Label and Build Sheet) was "KA".

That paint sure does look like it is Medium Red (24), not Bright Red (27) like a CC is supposed to be. Seats are sure easy enough to swap.

If the Buck Tag is there that will clear up the mystery sure enough.

Well, I took pictures of the buck tag this morning and the bad news is that it doesn't match the
    CUN on the car's VIN 615304.

Capri
    623035 61D T MO 051
    1CC DF ST
    LL 08 HB
    CRS MOD 07
    ELECTRIC-D

Evidently more than the buck tag has been changed.
    I looked through all of the photos of 83s that I could find & all have the newer grill conformation. Mine has the older grill.

I called the PO to see if he knew anything about the rad. support being changed. He said "my cousin who owned it for about six years had the fan fly off when the water pump was trashed".
    I have a feeling that may explain what is going on here. Or maybe a whole front clip swapped on it?
    Ron

Buck Tag is from a '79 or '80 2.3T RS. It looks like the radiator support, inner fenders, and firewall are black, which would match the "1C" exterior paint code on the Buck Tag. It's possible that the whole front clip was swapped. Another possibility is a VIN plate swap but then wouldn't the rest of the car also be 1C Black?

Any evidence of the rest of the body being changed from Black to Red? What color is the underbody?

There should be partial VIN tags spot-welded to each inner fender, beneath the outer fenders. I would bet they match the Buck Tag.

The engine and transmission should have a partial VIN as well. If this is a front clip swap, I would bet the engine/trans VIN matches the 615304 VIN. The engine's VIN would be on a flat pad on the top of the block, behind the intake (visible with intake installed). The transmission's VIN would be on the passenger side of the main case, where it bolts to the bellhousing.

CAPRI = model line
    623035 = unit #
    61D = Capri three-door hatchback
    T = 2.3T engine
    MO = sunroof
    051_ = assembly line rotation #
    1CC = Black exterior paint color
    DF
    ST
    LL = hatchback louvers
    HB = rear defrost
    CRS = RS model
    MOD = SROD trans
    07 = hood scoop
    ELECTRIC
    -D = Medium Red interior trim color

86 50CPRI

At least the dash panels are in nice shape!

Good Luck on the rescue and the rehab.

The underbody is basically a 27 year old "Iowa rust tan".
    Most areas that aren't rusted appear black, but back near the fuel tank it looks to be kind of a dirty white or grey.
    We are expecting up to ten inches of snow in the next few days & it is sitting outside so I won't be able to get under it for a few days to inspect the engine & trans for partial VINs.

Thanks Pete,
    I don't know how much rehab it is going to receive.
    It appears to be a conglomeration of pieces thrown together from many different cars to make one complete vehicle.
    But you are right at least the dash is decent except for a rip across the driver's side speaker.
    Once I find out if the motor & trans VIN numbers match the car I will have a better idea what I am going to do with it.
    My brother says that in a worst case scenario the rear-end & trans are worth what we paid for it, but that is not what I rescued it for.

Everytime I look at the pics in your album I see details I missed before.

Looks like the kick panel trim is not installed on either side and the kick panels appear to be painted black.

Yeah,
    It looks like I have brought home a patched together POS that appears to be mechanically sound.
    Not much chance of restoring something like this. I still wonder about the donor vehicles & their fate.
    Ron

I'm wondering if it's not a '79/'80 chassis re-sprayed red, with a VIN, engine/trans, and body panel swap.

Neither here nor there

I'm wondering if it's not a '79/'80 chassis re-sprayed red, with a VIN, engine/trans, and body panel swap.
    Front and rear quarters wouldn't have the marker lights, so it's a 83-84 body.

I just posted three different photos:

Closer photo of hood & grill---anyone see anything here that tells what year the front end is?

Underneath view of underbody, with lots of rust, no paint color that I can see.

Passenger door edge tag, a tiny area on the left corner shows medium red. (That suggests to me that this is the original color of this vehicle.)
    Ron
    Last edited by BLK BRD 88; 01-11-2011 at 01:17 PM. Reason: saw something new

Don't forget about the Canadian RS. I have pictures of an RS with a Factory Inline Six and a 4 Speed with wedgewood blue Recaros, t-tops, and the "hood bulge" scoop on her.
    -Currently Searching for "The One"

Quote Originally Posted by Capriman86 View Post
    Front and rear quarters wouldn't have the marker lights, so it's a 83-84 body.
    Whoa,
    You guys really know your foureyes!!

I love this site

The lowest VIN that I have in the database that had a T-5 is 610997. The date on the VC Label is 11/83, which is the scheduled build month, not necessarily the actual build month.
    Did you mean 11/82? My blue Capri has a build date of 3/83 and it has a T-5.

Sorry to hijack this. If wanted, I can post all of the buck tag info. in the restoration threads.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast