Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default anyone running just alt and manual rack?

If so, what kind of setup are you using for brackets and what side is the alt on?

I have done it. Looking at the engine from the front of the car, the belt went around the alt in the stock location, OVER the tensioner at it's rest position (all the way down), around the left side of the water pump and around the right side of the crank pully. There is no tensioner function so the belt has to be exactly the right size and it is very hard to get on. The better alternative would be to get an a/c delete pulley and use the same routing I just mentioned except go from the alt under the tensioner pulley to the a/c pulley and then to the left side of the wp.
    1982 Mustang GLX coupe
    GT40P, 278H-10, Performer intake, exhaust, T5, 3.73
    13.28 @ 105 mph- SOLD

1992 Mustang Convertible
    GT40P, Explorer intake, exhaust, T5, 3.27
    13.89 @ 101 mph- TRADED FOR:

1982 Mustang GT 359W
    10.24:1, ported heads, X cam, RPM intake, T5, 3.55

I've seen it done by modifying the tensioner(see pic). I'm using aftermarket brackets on mine(Pro50).
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I have seen a couple of guys move the tensioner in the area previously occupied by either the A/C or the P/S.

They made a bracket that bolted up to the P/S bracket (Non A/C) and mounted the tensioner there and that seemed to work pretty well.

I can't find any pictures of it right now, but I will keep searching.

Trey

I'm starting from scratch and don't have any proper brackets on the car. It's sporting a late 70's timing cover and standard rotation pump. I was going to change over to serpentine but got a good deal on a manual rack and decided the easier route would be to run alternator only. I want to use the later model wide belt but keep it on the pass. side.

Mike Croke

Mine looks like the picture gmatt posted.

Quote Originally Posted by gmatt View Post
    I've seen it done by modifying the tensioner(see pic).
    This is for reverse rotation WP(in the pic). The belt would need to go under the tensioner and over the WP pulley for standard rotation, but you might need a grooved pulley or one with a lip, not sure. If you have to buy the parts anyway, an aftermarket kit might be best.

This is the bracket assembly used to move the tensioner. THis is how I ran my 85, and probably how I will run my 79 coupe.

I bought the march billet kit and all of the spacers were the wrong size. I dont know if its because I have a 3g alternator or what but it kept throwing belts and I got tired of it. I bought a pulley for a standard rotation w.p. with plans of changing to that but the pulley is too big and wont even go on because it hits the crank pulley. Hopefully this thread can help me too
    84 Mustang notchback 302?
    My cars:
    1984 Mustang Lx notch
    1998 Subaru Forester L (my dd)
    2005 Chevy Equinox (wifes dd)
    1986 Ford F150
    Other toys:
    2007 Yamaha Wolverine 450 SE
    1979 Suzuki GS750

I got the march set, it's very pretty and does the job but man it costs some pretty serious coin. I've got a 1 wire alt and I had to clock it so that the post wouldn't ground on the block. No biggie but it's something that needs done.

I'm using a standard rotation pump, with an alternator/PS bracket from a 89ish crown vic (came with the motor). The PS pump has been removed, and it seems like I had a lot of trouble finding a belt that fit. I cant recall the size, but I'm fixin to run over there and pick up some stuff, I'll look while I'm there.

edit: Couldn't read the numbers, couldn't find my tape...
    Last edited by Zephyr 351C; 12-23-2010 at 08:46 PM.
    -Zach
    '81 Zephyr Sedan: In pieces. Some at the garage, some under my bed, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by 86_Notch View Post
    I got the march set, it's very pretty and does the job but man it costs some pretty serious coin. I've got a 1 wire alt and I had to clock it so that the post wouldn't ground on the block. No biggie but it's something that needs done.

not to keep hijacking this thread but do you have a part number for that kit and the pulleys you used. I already spent over a hundred on a kit that doesnt work but atleast the one you have really opens up the engine bay and it looks awesome. Really nice engine bay!
    My cars:
    1984 Mustang Lx notch
    1986 Ford F150
    Other toys:
    1979 Suzuki GS750

Thanks, I'm not sure of a part number, I called march up directly and told them that I had an 86 mustang with a 351 and that i was only running an alt and water pump and wanted a serpentine pully setup. To be honest this was about 4 years ago so and I can't remember if I got the kit from them or if I got a part # and ordered it from someone else.

Last edited by 86_Notch; 12-24-2010 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 84notch View Post
    not to keep hijacking this thread but do you have a part number for that kit and the pulleys you used. I already spent over a hundred on a kit that doesnt work but atleast the one you have really opens up the engine bay and it looks awesome. Really nice engine bay!
    The mount kit looks like the 30355, 351W has a different part number that I cant recall. I cant help you on the pulleys.

Roush makes an alternator bracket that mounts low on the pass side, but for some odd reason they designed it to work with a chevy alternator. I wish I knew that when I bought it...

As for a standard rotation serpentine pulley with grooves and a lip, you can find one on any windsor powered panther at a JY for a few bucks, or get a march pulley (or set) for a lot more money...
    -Zach

FEP Member

My '82 came factory with manual rack but had 1970(DOOE)chromed brackets for V-belt when I bought it in 1989.I now run a 347 with March 6-groove pulley kit for 302/351C if I recall and a "chinese" Ebay bracket/tensioner rod on the passenger side with a 40"belt and standard rotation Summit chromed hi-flow pump.Alot of my friends used '80's LTD 5.0L steel
    water pump pulley(ribbed/standard rotation) with '87-'93 HO alt.&crank pulleys.

I got the w.p. pulley from a ltd that had the grooves but it is too big it hits the crank pulley unless a standard rotation pump actually changes the location of the pulley too. Or do I need a underdrive pulley for the crank?
    My cars:
    1984 Mustang Lx notch
    1986 Ford F150
    Other toys:
    1979 Suzuki GS750

Modify the tensioner its the easiest and cheapest.

http://www.angelfire.com/ns/PurgingP...tensioner.html

Quote Originally Posted by josephstjohn View Post
    Modify the tensioner its the easiest and cheapest.

http://www.angelfire.com/ns/PurgingP...tensioner.html
    This does not seem to have enough wrap around the water pump pulley. I would not run the car this way.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

I love the March setup but for me it's quite a bit cost prohibitive. I need something cheap and simple and actually lines up properly. The stuff in there now is so bad, I don't dare take it over 4,0000 rpm.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang-junky View Post
    This does not seem to have enough wrap around the water pump pulley. I would not run the car this way.

Jess
    I've always told people that, as well, and I've seen a lot of my friends run this setup with no issues. I'll never run one of mine that way, though.

Quote Originally Posted by 84notch View Post
    I got the w.p. pulley from a ltd that had the grooves but it is too big it hits the crank pulley unless a standard rotation pump actually changes the location of the pulley too. Or do I need a underdrive pulley for the crank?
    You could get the crank pulley off of the LTD...

All of my V8 foxes had panther motors so I never though about the pulleys being different sizes.
    -Zach

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang-junky View Post

Jess
    I've ran 2 cars like this with zero problems. One was my '86 coupe and I ran it that way in texas heat and many many passes at the track. No problems at all.
    "I'm a mental patient, I'm suppose to act out!"

Quote Originally Posted by embler View Post
    I've ran 2 cars like this with zero problems. One was my '86 coupe and I ran it that way in texas heat and many many passes at the track. No problems at all.
    My first mustang was like that, It doesn't look like there's enough belt contact with the waterpump pulley but it worked for me. I never had any charging or overheating issues .

FEP Member

I could swear the 302HO crank pulley with LTD water pump pulley passed without interference but it has been over 10 years,if so definately get a smaller underdrive one off Ebay or even a 3" race pulley.

thanks guys atleast I have some more ideas to try out now.
    My cars:
    1984 Mustang Lx notch
    1986 Ford F150
    Other toys:
    1979 Suzuki GS750

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast