Close

Hybrid View

Default Heater core replacement

What is involved in swapping the heater core in a 78 Fairmont? Does the dash have to come all the way off?

Does it have A/C? If so...no, but it's probably easier to pull it. I think you can sneak it out the passenger's footwell if you're lucky and have said the right things to the right god(s).

If it DOESN'T have A/C then you undo the two heater hoses in the engine bay, open the glovebox and take everything out, and remove it.

Then remove the 2 screws on the heater core cover, slide the core out, slide the new one in, and put it back...like 15 minutes (not including drain/fill cooling system).

If it's an A/C car someone else will have to talk you through it.

FEP Senior Member

Just because it doesnt have A/C doesnt mean it doesnt have an A/C box!!

Been there and done that a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by mustangjoe413 View Post
    Just because it doesnt have A/C doesnt mean it doesnt have an A/C box!!

Been there and done that a few times.
    Haha, no kidding. During my years behind the parts counter, more than a handful of times I'd have someone return a part because it was incorrect and in trying to solve their problem get to the "with or without A/C" question...

"without A/C" is *NOT* the same as "the car used to have A/C, but the compressor and all the lines are gone" or "the stuff is there, but the A/C doesn't work"
    1981 Durango (ends my 18 year drought of not owning a F/Z)

FEP Senior Member

Yes, but ford also put empty A/C boxes in from the factory.

I'm a parts guy as well, any 87-93 mustang customer gets the one listed for A/C.

Just like late model F-150 rear axle seals....they're always the ones for the 8.8 rear, even if the truck has the 9.75 rear. lol

Quote Originally Posted by mustangjoe413 View Post
    Yes, but ford also put empty A/C boxes in from the factory.

I'm a parts guy as well, any 87-93 mustang customer gets the one listed for A/C.

Just like late model F-150 rear axle seals....they're always the ones for the 8.8 rear, even if the truck has the 9.75 rear. lol
    The one WTF thing that Ford did that *still* gets me is the 2WD Bronco II. Both 2WD and 4WD had transfer cases - except the 2WD one has a plug where the front output shaft would be and was lacking most of the internal guts. They even stuck stickers on it and issued a TSB that basically said "no, this is not a real transfer case and no, you can't put guts into it to make it a functional transfer case"

Sorry OP for the thread hijack. Seriously.
    Last edited by Durango; 12-20-2010 at 02:47 PM.
    1981 Durango (ends my 18 year drought of not owning a F/Z)

Replacing a Fairmont's heater core is just like doing a Fox Mustang's if both vehicles originally came with factory A/C. V8only did a good write up on heater core replacement in the Mod Maintenance and Mechanicals section . You don't have to remove the dash all the way or remove the entire HVAC assembly.

Dean T
    Last edited by Dean_T; 12-20-2010 at 11:46 PM.
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

Thanx The car HAD ac but no more. Did a 5.0 swap and other stuff and I'm in the process of getting it winter drivable.