Close

Exclamation Early Capri Restoration Parts

Hello all and thanks for reading!

I am currently in the process of restoring a 1982 Capri GS back to showroom condition. I am starting with a BEAUTIFUL foundation that was black and will be again. The body is straight and there is no rust to be found.

I need help with the following:

1.) Original grill chrome is peeling. My guess is that I cannot find a local guy to rechrome a plastic grill. What can I do? Where can I find a grill?

2.) Taillight fins have shed their black paint. Does anyone know where I can find a nice set of early capri taillights? Quality reproductions? Anyone know how to restore these lights? I think resealing them is beyond my skill level; anyone interested in helping?

3.) I have seen before headlight covers for the four eyed capris...smoke covers....anyone know where I can find these?

4.) Mirrors have shed most of their paint as well. Any help on how to remove mirror from housing for a new finish would be greatly appreciated.

5.) I need some assistance on how to remove the chrome trim from around the windows and off the drip rails. I figure I could jerk them off and break them but what I want is some help on how to do it right. The ones on the car are beautiful and I would like to reuse them.

6.) I have a pair of 1986 capri doors that I bought to install for power windows and door locks. However, I have decided that it would be nice to have power door locks but don't want the power windows. Any idea how difficult it will be to place the power door lock parts in non power doors?

Thats it for now.....Any help would be greatly appreciated. If I think of anything else I will post it. Thank you all for your help!

I wanted to add that I will be using the 1979 Capri 5.0 that I have to scavenge parts for the 1982 restoration. After removing everything I need for the 1982 restoration I will be removing salvage-able parts from the 1979 and scrapping the car.

Rest easy.....the 1979 body is tattered, beat and torn and not worth keeping. I spent countless hours putting a beautiful black interior together in it which will go into the 1982. Other parts including all my suspension upgrades, exhaust, etc will go into the 1982. Not a considerable amount will be left on the 1979 but now is the chance to hit me up if you are looking for something.

I have a ridiculous amount of parts for these cars including complete interior kits in black and tan. If you are looking for an original early capri part hit me up....I might have it.

Hi,

answer to question 2 + 4:

I start with the mirrors:

Take out the glasses for paint and clean.
    Both "seal pads" werenīt worth getting reinstalled.
    This one was desiccated, the other one was even broke into several pieces.

After sanding them, They got painted:

Made new pads.
    I will use sealing mass between the pads and the cases before I install the mirrors.

The other parts I did were the capri taillights.
    They must have been glued with tape for quite a long while,
    because its adhesive has already begun to "destroy" the surface of the body.
    And they have been labeled.
    Iīm not 100% sure but I think I bought them from a junk yard guy on ebay about one year ago !
    (That would explain the tape and label story !)

After cleaning with water and brush,
    you could still see, that the only way, to get them nice again is to paint.
    The silver paint wasnīt shiny anymore and the black was bleached.

Black

Silver

Painted

Done

The "glasses" werenīt that nice too.
    One had scratches in the black paint, the other one almost didnīt have any black !
    Masking them isnīt really a big enjoyment, but it was Ok !

Painted.
    I used a few passes (right expression !??!) to make sure, that the lights wonīt shine through the paint !
    So I painted, dried with a blow-dryer painted...
    I guess 4 times !

Done !

One was missing two srews. They broke off.

I taped a thread into the holes.

Then Iīve cut a bolt.
    I stuffed glue into the holes and srewed the bolts in!

One glass had the same problem.

Same way to fix !

I didnīt put the parts together yet.
    I will show the progress on that soon I hope !

##################

That was a quote from my quite detailed restoration thread:

Cobra Resto

I guess a few of your questions can be answered there, though itīs a 79 Cobra.

Much luck and keep us updated with pics please !
    Oliver

Lee_Iacocca, dang man! You do great work!

I think he answered 2 and 4 like a BOSS!

#1 - Mr Gs rechroming. You will probably have to call them and ask for a price and they might not be able to quote you until they get the part. They rechrome plastic. They do all the chromed plastic dashes for the 50's-70's cars. Got a full 1965 Ranchero Deluxe set done. They fixed broken bits and chromed/painted it perfectly.

#3 - www.ascmclaren.com has the smoke headlight covers.

#5 - Go to a junkyard, find a crappy fox with bad trim and practice. Don't practice on good trim. REALLY hard to find those pieces. I expect repros down the road.

#6 - Do a search...I think it has been covered many times.

-Mike

Lee_Iacocca, awesome post!

Mike, can you either post or PM me the contact info for Mr Gs rechroming? I need to have switch bezels done. I have had a heck of a time trying to find good capri window switch bezels, and don't want them to be black.

And, to the OP, on #5, do as Mike says, but once you get the hang of it, shouldn't be too tough, just make sure all the retaining screws are removed before attempting to pull it off.

Official FOX-A-QUE Threads
    : 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009

http://www.mrgusa.com/

These guys popped up too:
    http://www.autoinstruments.com/chrome.htm

AS ALWAYS! TAKE PICS AND CATALOG THE PARTS BEFORE YOU SEND THEM OUT!

We had a POS chromer from RI lose some parts. My mom had pics and sent them and they were able to ID them in their warehouse. They still lost a piece that we had to have remanufactured.

For bumpers we used to go to Sandy's bumper in Syracuse NY. They are about the best out there in the northeast.

-Mike
    Last edited by negusm; 12-16-2010 at 10:49 AM.

Thanks for that info, and also on the bumpers. My father needs to get some bumpers redone. We've seen Bumper Boyz at the various meets, but we've heard mixed reviews. Thanks again.

Official FOX-A-QUE Threads
    : 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009

Neither here nor there

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    '79-'86 Capri "smoke" headlight covers:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GTS-GT0302S/

Just a FYI

Those GTS ones are just flat pieces, the ASC ones are molded to fit the headlight trim.

Neither here nor there

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    The asc ones are $250/set.
    and much nicer but out of my price range too

Kinda off topic but does the GTS sticker/paint thing come off on them? I'd like to get a clear set but that logo looks stupid on them.
    Son of Jleews6, Johnny 5
    85 GT 1C Vert = Grey int. no power options but A/C.
    85 GT 2R Hatch = "Pepper"ALL original sunroof car grey int.,full scale restoration coming one day
    85 GT 2A Hatch = tan int. 2.5" full exhaust, frame connectors, AutoMeter Pro Comp gauges, 5-Lug w/17" Bullitts, converted to FI, 8.8 w/3.55s etc.
    85 GT 1C Hatch = Dads new toy ALL ORIGINAL
    85 GS/RS 4D Hatch = My first capri
    73 Mach 1 - 351 2bbl Auto Yellow w/Tan interior

Quote Originally Posted by eeprete View Post
    Thanks for that info, and also on the bumpers. My father needs to get some bumpers redone. We've seen Bumper Boyz at the various meets, but we've heard mixed reviews. Thanks again.
    This should be them:
    http://www.sandysbumpermart.com/

Like I said, take pics. Sandy's had the falcon bumpers for some time and when my dad checked on them they couldn't locate them. My dad took down the photo and the guy knew immediately where they were stashed.

We used them for the Marquette, 54 Chevy and 65 Falcon. They only misplaced the 65 Falcon bumpers.

-Mike

Neither here nor there

Quote Originally Posted by 85 GT Kid View Post
    Kinda off topic but does the GTS sticker/paint thing come off on them? I'd like to get a clear set but that logo looks stupid on them.

Yes you can peel them off, I agree, they look like crap on there too.

Quote Originally Posted by Capriman86 View Post
    and much nicer but out of my price range too
    Mine Too.

Some day I WILL get the molds done and make my own. I figured out the rears though and made a couple.
    Last edited by 86capriASC; 12-16-2010 at 08:36 PM.
    Mike

1986 ASCMclaren #108
    stock short block, Victor EFI, 75mm TB, 3.08's, Borla cat-back, slot style MAF conversion, Gt-40p heads, TFS1 cam, 80lb injectors, 69mm turbo, Moates Quaterhorse, E85. 501/584 @ the rear wheels