Close

Default Need 1985 LTD LX Medium Charcoal Metallic door code

Could someone with an original medium charchoal gray metallic door from a 1985 LTD LX get me the paint code off the sticker on the drivers door jamb?

Thanks much - trying to see if the gray they used on the 1986 Marquis is a match, as I think I've finally found a good drivers front door. This color was not used in 1984, and I know the gray used on the 1985 Marquis was lighter in color.

Thanks in advance - zak
    Last edited by zak; 11-21-2016 at 02:56 PM.
    1985 LTD LX original owner

Quote Originally Posted by zak View Post
    Could someone with an original medium charchoal gray metallic door from a 1985 LTD LX get me the paint code off the sticker on the drivers door jamb?

Thanks much - trying to see if the gray they used on the 1986 Marquis is a match, as I think I've finally found a good drivers front door. This color was not used in 1984, and I know the gray used on the 1985 Marquis was lighter in color.

Thanks in advance - zak
    Medium Charcoal = code 1B, Ford M5874, PPG 3562

Used by Ford 83-86

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcod...=M5874&rows=50
    MF: Shoot pool Fast Eddie.
    EF: Im shootin' pool Fats. When I miss you can shoot.

Can anyone else check their 1985 LTD LX door sticker for paint code? I think the medium charcoal grey ( gray ) metallic clearcoat is a 1985 and newer color onlly. My original doors are long gone and going to be painting my replacment doors late this week.

Nevermind, per foxchassis my code is 1B

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ith-paint-code

I did not think Ford did metallic clearcoat paints prior to 1984

Metallic, yes. Clearcoat, no.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Mick, so medium charcoal grey metallic clearcoat is still code 1B

Medium Charcoal Metallic

No "grey" in the name.
    NOT clearcoat.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

So now I am very confused. When Dad bought our 85 LTD LX it definitely had clearcoat, and when I had it repainted in in 91 it got clearcoat plus basecoat. Everything I have read indicates metallic paints require a 2 stage base coat plus clearcoat.

Does anyone have a grey 85 LTD LX that they could check the exterior color code on, as my ori9ginal drivers door is long gone?

Thanks -
    Last edited by zak; 11-21-2016 at 12:49 PM.

Metallic paints did not require a clearcoat. Metallics were in use for over 40 years before clear was. Metallics were around since the mid 1930s. Clear was new in the late 1970s, but it was not widespread until the mid to late 1980s. Ford used a single stage paint (metallic or not) on Foxes long before they used a base coat and clear coat (BC/CC). If a paint was BC/CC Ford would say so in their showroom brochures, color & trim selections books, dealer launch guides, etc. There is no mention of BC/CC in any of the LTD brochures from 1983-86.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 11-21-2016 at 04:24 PM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Thanks, appreciate the reply. Not sure where I got the idea that LTD LXs had clearcoat paint in 1985. Only hint is that Lincoln had a very similar 1Z code circa mid 1980s, described as "medium charcoal metallic clearcoat"

REF:
    http://natomessageboard.com/ubbthrea...&Number=170427

This 1Z might be what the body shop used in 1991 to repaint my car.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Metallic paints did not require a clearcoat. Metallics were in use for over 40 years before clear was. Metallics were around since the mid 1930s. Clear was new in the late 1970s, but it was not widespread until the mid to late 1980s. Ford used a single stage paint (metallic or not) on Foxes long before they used a base coat and clear coat (BC/CC). If a paint was BC/CC Ford would say so in their showroom brochures, color & trim selections books, dealer launch guides, etc. There is no mention of BC/CC in any of the LTD brochures from 1983-86.
    Same for the 83-86 Marquis? I have an 83 Marquis that has peeling clearcoat...I don't think it was ever repainted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, same for Marquis. No BC/CC. Only single-stage paints. Plenty of metallics though.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

The following models are the only Foxes that I could figure that had factory base/clear paints. First year that clear was available on the Fox platform is in parenthesis, and only certain colors could get clear.

Continental (1982)
    Cougar (1983)
    Thunderbird (1983)
    Mark VII (1984)
    LTD (1986)
    Marquis (1986)
    Mustang (1990)
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 11-27-2016 at 07:49 AM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

I don't know...this car definitely has peeling clearcoat and doesn't show signs of a repaint.

I revised the list above to include the 1986 Marquis. I missed the one and only paint color that year (Silver Metallic) that was BC/CC. No other colors that year and nothing in any of the earlier years, or for the LTD in any year. I'll scour the brochures again to see if I missed any other BC/CC paints but I've already gone over the LTD and Marquis brochures several times.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Mick, thanks for digging through all the brochures. never, can you get the paint code off that Marquis?

Looking at the samples they give on the touchup paint sites, it looks like 1Z medium charcoal (clearcoat) is a darker shade then 1B medium charcoal, and the touchup paint places code them differently (5872 vs. 5874, respectfully)

On second thought, pictures of the actual two paint colors, on metal, off this Australian site, look pretty darn close:

1B: http://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au...mxGjPjqPI.webp

1Z: http://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au...zcQIhIfS4.webp

Added 1986 LTD to the clearcoat list.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Definitive list of 1983-86 LTD/Marquis exterior paint codes and colors (1986 BC/CC in bold)...

1983 LTD/Marquis
    (1B) Medium Charcoal Metallic
    (1C) Black
    (1G) Silver Metallic
    (24) Red
    (35) Light Academy Blue Glow
    (38) Light Academy Blue
    (4A) Dark Teal Metallic
    (4W) Light Teal Glow
    (5C) Dark Academy Blue Metallic
    (5U) Dark Walnut Metallic
    (6Y) Medium Vanilla
    (6Z) Pastel Vanilla
    (9D) Polar White
    (9N) Desert Tan Glow

1984 LTD/Marquis
    (1C) Black
    (1E) Silver Metallic
    (2C) Midnight Canyon Red Metallic
    (35) Light Academy Blue Glow
    (3L) Midnight Blue Metallic
    (5C) Dark [Academy] Blue Metallic
    (5U) Dark Walnut Metallic
    (6C) Light Wheat
    (9N) Desert Tan Glow
    (68) Vanilla Metallic
    (8Q) Light Desert Tan
    (9L) Oxford White

1985 LTD/Marquis
    (1C) Black
    (1E) Silver Metallic
    (2A) Medium Canyon Red Metallic
    (3M) Pastel Regatta Blue
    (3V) Light Regatta Blue Metallic
    (4M) Dark Slate Metallic
    (86) Medium Sand Beige
    (8L) Sand Beige
    (8Y) Dark Clove Brown Metallic
    (9L) Oxford White

1986 LTD/Marquis
    (1C) Black
    (14) Silver Clearcoat Metallic
    (4M) Dark Slate Metallic
    (7A) Spinnaker Blue
    (86) Medium Sand Beige
    (8L) Sand Beige
    (8Y) Dark Clove Brown Metallic
    (9L) Oxford White
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Quote Originally Posted by zak View Post
    Mick, thanks for digging through all the brochures. never, can you get the paint code off that Marquis?

Looking at the samples they give on the touchup paint sites, it looks like 1Z medium charcoal (clearcoat) is a darker shade then 1B medium charcoal, and the touchup paint places code them differently (5872 vs. 5874, respectfully)
    It's 5C