Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Looking at a Turbo GT Vert next week...

Hey folks -

Just an update on my car search. I did take a look at what I wanted from a car, what's available and what's important to me. I found a car that meets nearly all of those qualifications with a couple of minor exceptions.

Here's the description:

It's a 1984 Mustang Turbo GT Convertible (duh). It's nearly all original and reportedly only has about 57,000 original miles. It's very clean, everything works. The only item that really needs work is that the A/C needs recharging. The car is currently registered, smogged and has a clear title.

As for my likes:

Color: Medium Canyon Red Metallic w/White top & White/Canyon Red interior
    Equipment: Console, GT Trim, A/C, Power Windows, Locks, etc.
    Condition: If the pics are truly representative of the car, it looks to be in terrific shape. I've been told that there are minor cracks in the vinyl sections of the upholstery, but nothing major. The dash pad has no cracks at all.

Dislikes:

Appearance: The "whale tail" spoiler, but it's not a deal breaker.
    Equipment: Non Factory stereo

Items that I compromised on:

Turbo 4-Cyl Engine
    5-Speed Manual Transmission

In terms of the entire vehicle, I'm looking at the entire package, so the two compromise items are outweighed by the vehicle's appearance and condition. I was really looking for a 6-Cyl Auto engine/transmission combination for convenience, but it's not a big change since I already drive a 5sp 4cyl car now.

As for the spoiler, it won't stay if I buy the car. Because of the TurboGT markings on the trunk lid, I don't think that I could swap it out. I'll probably wind up removing the spoiler and then have the trunk lid fixed and repainted.
    The car isn't perfect if you get a close look at the pics - not a lot of restoration potential there, but it could still be a fun car to have. The owner did say that there was some work done to the r/h rear quarter panel. He said that the body is smooth, but the paint work isn't top notch.

The car is pretty far from me, but the owner said that he will be coming up next week on business. He offered to drive the car up so I could take a look at it and give it a test drive to see if I want to pony up the cash for it. He's going to email me the vin later this week so I can check out the numbers to get a history on the car and see what insurance will cost.

To see pics of the car, take a look at my album. Let me know what you think.

Bryan

looks great !!! what's he asking for it ?

nice car, it's been FYI'd here a few times. Keep us posted on how you make out. Looks like it'll be something you can just get in and enjoy! Best of luck.

Official FOX-A-QUE Threads
    : 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009

Very nice and unusual car....one other point: The TRX wheels are cool, i have them on my 83 Thunderbird, but the tires are a small fortune now for the metric versions. You may want to convert the rims to 14 or 15 inch...there are a few people i have seen do this and this way you can maintain the original look without the cost or hassle of metric tires.
    1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage 5.0
    1987 Mercury Cougar XR-7 5.0 (Traded)
    1989 Lincoln LSC 5.0 HO (Sold)
    2008 Saab 9-7x Aero 6.0 LS2 (1 of 555)
    2011 Ford Flex SEL (Family Hauler)

Quote Originally Posted by capri jimmy View Post
    looks great !!! what's he asking for it ?
    The current asking price is $3000. It's been on CL for a while - I think that the first time I saw it, the price was around $3600. I am curious as to why it hasn't sold before now, but I'll have to make that assessment when I get to look at the car in person.

So, the metric radials are a bit on the expensive side? I guess that I'll have to live with that, because I really want to keep the TRX wheels. I've always loved show they look.

Bryan

I'm sure it has not sold because of the spoiler. I hate saleen wings on a convertible. When I am looking through Craigslist and see one with a Spoiler like this I usually hit the back button. When buying a car you dont want to have to worry about finding another trunk lid or trying to fill in the holes and repaint the trunk lid.

I like the car though! Would look awesome without the spoiler.
    1988 T-Top Hatch 5.0 / 1988 TurboCoupe
    1980 Ghia Coupe / 1988 2.3 Hatch

I'm stuck in 1988!

Quote Originally Posted by foxmustang84 View Post
    It wasn't a performance car, it was a Chevy

FEP Super Member tan84mustanggt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini1999 View Post
    So, the metric radials are a bit on the expensive side?
    Over $400 per tire.

Good luck! I hope you get it, the more turbo verts around here the better.
    84 Tan 5.0 GT hatchback
    84 Tan 5.0 GT convertible
    84 GT350 2.3T convertible

Quote Originally Posted by tan84mustanggt View Post
    Over $400 per tire.

Good luck! I hope you get it, the more turbo verts around here the better.
    Ouch!

When you mentioned upgrading to another size wheel, that pretty much rules out using the original wheels, righ? What kind wheel would be used in place ot the original TRX wheels but still keep the look original?

Bryan

Yeah, TRXs are expensive, but I put them on 2 of my cars because I have to have them. One car has 21k miles, the other, I'm just stupid and do burnouts on them so I should probably get something else. Anyway, the only other stock rim then was like these on my vert. Lots o' people don't like them though.

For the stock look I like pony wheels too. I have white ones on my anny hatch and used to have some silver ones on my old turbo vert too.

Ten holes work for some people too. Personally I think 10 holes look as out of place on an 84 and older as TRXs do on 85/6 cars though. Lots of people seem to disagree. This isn't my car, but still looks good on ten holes.

84 Tan 5.0 GT hatchback

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

Ten Holes only belong on '85-'90 LX's, and '85-'86 GT's

Yeah, TRXs are expensive, but I put them on 2 of my cars because I have to have them. One car has 21k miles, the other, I'm just stupid and do burnouts on them so I should probably get something else. Anyway, the only other stock rim then was like these on my vert. Lots o' people don't like them though.

I like these, but they would be my second choice to the TRX wheels. I don't see these come up for sale very often, so I'm imagining that they're hard to find.

I'm not fond of the Pony wheels at all, I never have been. The 10-hole wheels would be a last ditch effort to keep some kind of factory wheel on the car. They do look nice, but they're not my preference.

The Turbo vert would be a second car, so if I did have to get metric tires for it, they'd last a very long time - especially the way I drive a car. I still have the factory tires on my Miata when I bought it in December of '05 - 30,000 miles and still at least another 5-10,000 miles of tread left.

Thanks for the advice and pics!

Bryan

Over $400 per tire.
    Do you know specifically what size tire that is? I was trying to do a search, but all I keep coming up with is 205 70 VR14. Is that correct?

I'm trying to do some research about tires....just in case.

Bryan

'79-'82 TRX = 190/65R390
    '83-'85 TRX = 220/55R390

In reference to size, what he said ^^^

Coker Tire is the only place to get TRXs.

Personally, I like the 14s that I have on my vert. But like you said, they are hard to find. I think they are pretty well disliked by many, so they seem to have been chucked. I haven't seen many nice sets in years and finding decent center caps.......ugh.

Do you know specifically what size tire that is? I was trying to do a search, but all I keep coming up with is 205 70 VR14. Is that correct?

I'm trying to do some research about tires....just in case.

Bryan
    84 Tan 5.0 GT hatchback

In reference to size, what he said ^^^

Coker Tire is the only place to get TRXs.

Personally, I like the 14s that I have on my vert. But like you said, they are hard to find. I think they are pretty well disliked by many, so they seem to have been chucked. I haven't seen many nice sets in years and finding decent center caps.......ugh.
    I just checked the Coker Tire website. They don't have anything currently available for that size tire. I keep seeing cars with those wheels still on them, so there must be someplace else where I can get them if I need them. At least I hope so...

Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    I blame the website....!

I did a search by year, make, model and tire size thru their dropdown menus and came up empty for both of those sizes.... Defective software, that's what it is!

Thanks for the links - that helps a lot. Those tires are bloody expensive, eh?

I am going to send an email to Rudy at TireRack.com just to see if there's an alternative available. I might come up empty, but you never know.

THIS is why I'm enjoying this site so much!

Later mates,
    Bryan

Tire Rack is where I got my last set, and that was 6+ years ago now. $225 a tire then. But I tried again with them 2 years ago and no luck. As far as I know, Coker is the only way or used, NOS, etc. Those might not be best to drive on though. Anyway, if you find them elsewhere I'd like to know about it.
    84 Tan 5.0 GT hatchback

Tire Rack is where I got my last set, and that was 6+ years ago now. $225 a tire then. But I tried again with them 2 years ago and no luck. As far as I know, Coker is the only way or used, NOS, etc. Those might not be best to drive on though. Anyway, if you find them elsewhere I'd like to know about it.
    Why would you that that they wouldn't be the best to drive them on? Just wondering...

Bryan

it all depends on what you are using them for...

trailer queen = 20 yr old tires can be fine to roll on and off a trailer
    weekend cruiser = even tires several yrs old can be fine
    daily driver = get new wheels and tires... or bite the bullet

given the TRX tires really aren't the best performance tires out there on the market, their price is high for anything you'd cruise on regularly. Or get TRXs and then only swap them on when showing the car. Otherwise, run an alternatively 4 lug wheel.

Another option someone mentioned above, I believe it was MY70GT, was to get the TRX's cut and welded so that you can run a conventional 15" tire. The problem with that is it will be visible (the weld marks) when seeing the car from closer than 5 feet.

Official FOX-A-QUE Threads
    : 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009

Quote Originally Posted by eeprete View Post
    it all depends on what you are using them for...

trailer queen = 20 yr old tires can be fine to roll on and off a trailer
    weekend cruiser = even tires several yrs old can be fine
    daily driver = get new wheels and tires... or bite the bullet

given the TRX tires really aren't the best performance tires out there on the market, their price is high for anything you'd cruise on regularly. Or get TRXs and then only swap them on when showing the car. Otherwise, run an alternatively 4 lug wheel.

Another option someone mentioned above, I believe it was MY70GT, was to get the TRX's cut and welded so that you can run a conventional 15" tire. The problem with that is it will be visible (the weld marks) when seeing the car from closer than 5 feet.
    It wouldn't be a trailer queen...and it wouldn't be a weekend only car. I can't afford to buy cars and let them sit. Living in a condo community, I don't have the space to have more than 2 cars, so they do need to be moved regularly. It would be part time driving between the GT and my MX-5 and my regular commute is only 14 miles per day on surface streets, so I'm sure that the tires would do fine.

I did a search and found out that LMR is stocking brand new Michelin TRX tires at 420.00 a tire. It is expensive, but unless I find an alternative, I'll have to make do. I am going to check the tires on the car when I give it a look next week - I'm doubting that the original tires aren't still on the car after 3 owners and 26 years.

I am still going to keep searching for a modern equivalent. I don't want to modify the existing rims, although the ones you have are an attractive option...if I can find a set.

I do appreciate all the advice and information. I'm glad that I found this stuff out sooner, rather than later when it possibly might be more critical.

You folks are top drawer in my book!

Bryan

Here's what I understand, and hopefully someone else here will chime in......The reason that I said what I did about the old rubber is because some feel it is unsafe to drive on tires that are old. The rubber ages, degrades, whatever. It has nothing to do with the tread. I have a set of TRX tires that are original to my 21k mi turbo vert. They are stacked nicely in my garage with lots o' tread left. I don't know what to do with them really, but I don't think I'll drive on them and I hate to throw them out. Anyway, like I said, I hope someone can shed more light on the subject, but from what I understand, old tires are on borrowed time. That being said, I'm still driving around regularly on 7+ year old TRXs. Their performance is fine. At least that has been my experience, even in the rain.
    84 Tan 5.0 GT hatchback

FEP Super Member
    Blog Entries

I personally like those wagon wheel wheels...back in the day on my 84s I had TRXs. when the tires wore out, I tried to find those wagon wheels but just couldn't find any used ones and I didn't want to buy them new at the dealership. those would be my second choice after the trxs. no 10 holes on less than 85 cars please, and I don't even like the 91 wheels, kinda look somewhat out of place.

I like these, but they would be my second choice to the TRX wheels. I don't see these come up for sale very often, so I'm imagining that they're hard to find.

I'm not fond of the Pony wheels at all, I never have been. The 10-hole wheels would be a last ditch effort to keep some kind of factory wheel on the car. They do look nice, but they're not my preference.

The Turbo vert would be a second car, so if I did have to get metric tires for it, they'd last a very long time - especially the way I drive a car. I still have the factory tires on my Miata when I bought it in December of '05 - 30,000 miles and still at least another 5-10,000 miles of tread left.

Thanks for the advice and pics!

Bryan
    Last edited by vascj; 12-08-2010 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MY70GT View Post
    Very nice and unusual car....one other point: The TRX wheels are cool, i have them on my 83 Thunderbird, but the tires are a small fortune now for the metric versions. You may want to convert the rims to 14 or 15 inch...there are a few people i have seen do this and this way you can maintain the original look without the cost or hassle of metric tires.
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=93758
    I believe he was referring to this thread?

Here's what I understand, and hopefully someone else here will chime in......The reason that I said what I did about the old rubber is because some feel it is unsafe to drive on tires that are old. The rubber ages, degrades, whatever. It has nothing to do with the tread. I have a set of TRX tires that are original to my 21k mi turbo vert. They are stacked nicely in my garage with lots o' tread left. I don't know what to do with them really, but I don't think I'll drive on them and I hate to throw them out. Anyway, like I said, I hope someone can shed more light on the subject, but from what I understand, old tires are on borrowed time. That being said, I'm still driving around regularly on 7+ year old TRXs. Their performance is fine. At least that has been my experience, even in the rain.
    How you describe it is how I've always understood it.

I also believe that the laws of physics understand it that way as well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast