Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 2024 What did you do to your fox today?

Figured I’d get the new year started with the 2024 thread.
    Last edited by Sask84gt; 12-31-2023 at 12:45 PM.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Finally got around to installing my redline tuning hood struts. Things are awesome!
    Name:  IMG_2132.jpeg
Views: 314
Size:  311.2 KB
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

- Ordered new tires for the Pony wheels I picked up locally a few months ago.
    - Ordered a water pump, gasket, hardware, and new hoses+clamps
    - Removed belt, plug wires, intake plaque, and air intake
    - Pulled the smog pump/hoses/tubes out and installed block off plates on the back of the heads with a Ford Racing idler pulley.
    - Installed new 5.0 emblems and Ford badge on the trunk
    - Put in a new/clean battery tray

Today - Re-installing everything to fire it up and make sure it runs OK with the smog pulled and shift it around the garage for a little more room. Got a big tub from the grocery store and will drain the coolant and slowly start pulling the upper intake.

Also need to decide whether to clip/cap the vacuum lines from the smog pump, or find some rubber stoppers instead and zip tie them out of the way. I am leaning towards the latter as it's more "reversible" should I or anyone else change their mind in the future.

It's going to be so much easier accessing the plugs and headers on the passenger side without those air tubes in the way. Really cleaned things up!

Last edited by ITdude87; 01-01-2024 at 03:38 PM.
    1986 Mustang GT - 2A, 5 Sp
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

FEP Power Member

Looks like a good time to put those Motorsport headers on................. Need to find a set first
    '86 GT - weekend driver
    '86 Capri 5.0
    '86 Turbo Coupe
    '17 Mustang GT
    '23 BRONCO

Quote Originally Posted by ZEN50 View Post
    Looks like a good time to put those Motorsport headers on................. Need to find a set first
    You're not wrong dude. Hmmm......
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

Quote Originally Posted by ITdude87 View Post
    You're not wrong dude. Hmmm......
    @ITdude87 - I thought you already had a set of Motorsport headers....
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

Nope - No headers yet. I do have the FMS off-road H pipe though. That's what started the smog pull-off. Prior to this, the air tube was just cut/clamped to the H since there's no fitting for it now.

Thinking about headers, but I'd like to get the gritty stuff done first.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

- Installed new ...... Ford badge on the trunk
    Is it the correct mid-80's blue? And if it is, where'd it come from?

Nope - No headers yet. I do have the FMS off-road H pipe though.
    Ahh, yea.... that's probably what I was thinking of. Knew you got some kinda Motorsport exhaust part...

Thinking about headers, but I'd like to get the gritty stuff done first.
    Gotcha. With you there.... makes sense.
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

FEP Supporter

- Pulled the smog pump/hoses/tubes out and installed block off plates on the back of the heads with a Ford Racing idler pulley.

Nice work. Did you have these blank covers made? Are there any expected drivability changes for removing the smog pump and accessories?

Quote Originally Posted by 85GTGuy View Post
    Is it the correct mid-80's blue? And if it is, where'd it come from?
    Yep. It's about 98% accurate to the original I took off, but I bet the original was also a touch faded. Unless you held them side by side and shined a light directly at them, you'd never know the difference.

Link: https://www.npdlink.com/product/oe-c.../214126/150378

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    Nice work. Did you have these blank covers made? Are there any expected drivability changes for removing the smog pump and accessories?
    Purchased them here:
    https://lmr.com/item/LRS-9449-BP/mus...late-kit-86-95

I don't reckon there will be any changes, just a cleaner engine bay and maybe +.5 HP from the parasitic loss of the air pump. From my understanding, it's a pretty "dumb" stand alone system that just pumps air into the exhaust and back of the heads to 'dilute' the emissions in typical 80's ingenuity.

Used this in place of the pump itself to keep the factory sized belt and routing:
    https://lmr.com/item/M8604A50/79-93-...-Idler-Bracket
    Last edited by ITdude87; 01-03-2024 at 02:25 PM.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

I just used the 84.5" belt when I deleted the smog stuff on the LTS. No need for a "placeholder" pulley.

(I also didn't pay $45 for some block-off plates. I just cleaned out the holes and threaded a short 5/8"-11 bolt into each one.)
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Scrubbed one more time at a "quarter wash" and some new tires put on the OEM Pony wheels I picked up locally back in October for super cheap. Installed them earlier and they look great. I've always liked these. I decided against painting them for now.

Last edited by ITdude87; 01-06-2024 at 11:51 PM.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

FEP Power Member

Looking good! What size on the tires?
    '86 GT - weekend driver
    '86 Capri 5.0
    '86 Turbo Coupe
    '17 Mustang GT
    '23 BRONCO

Looking good! What size on the tires?
    225/55/16

The finish on them isn't perfect, but they cleaned up pretty good. I can always throw the 10 holes back on too if the 'originality' mood strikes which is cool. I got fresh tires put on those as well last spring so they're good to go.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

Started up the truck and car. Been a week. 20's-30's temps.
    Car has been on a 1.5a charger. Old battery read 12.7v before starting.
    Turned on the rear defog and sat in driveway running engine until it cycled off.
    Puzzled why tach still buries itself before a cold start. Ok afterwards upon restarts.

Been cold in my neck of the woods, too, so I fired up the GT on Saturday and let it run for a bit while I filled up the snowblower and started that up in prep for the storm that night. I love hearing that car run!
    Had ~
    '81 Mustang Ghia Hatchback, red, 4-cylinder, 5-speed, slow, but looked great!

Have ~
    '83 Mustang GT Hatchback, white with black, stock 5.0, 5-speed, T-tops, dual exhaust

FEP Power Member

The battery tray picture reminded me of a finding. If you look at the battery tray, you will see 1 bolt at the bottom and another hole going straight through. The straight through hole is a problem area as it drains any battery liquid directly into the frame rail which runs towards the firewall. Anyone have a rusted out frame rail? I added a battery mat to all of my cars.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    The battery tray picture reminded me of a finding. If you look at the battery tray, you will see 1 bolt at the bottom and another hole going straight through. The straight through hole is a problem area as it drains any battery liquid directly into the frame rail which runs towards the firewall. Anyone have a rusted out frame rail? I added a battery mat to all of my cars.
    That's a good eye, and a smart piece of advice.

The original tray I took out did not have the second hole, but the new replacement does. Luckily there's no rust or corrosion underneath.
    Last edited by ITdude87; 01-08-2024 at 05:04 PM.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

Battery drain hole:
    Prob there to also drain any water running thru the hood gap and down the apron in the battery area.
    Could add a rubber grommet and run a vinyl drain tube thru it.
    Long enough to drop below the frame rail.
    I slipped a long vinyl drain tube onto the radiator petcock to route into a container like an old plastic jug.
    Duckbill valves can be used in floor pan for water leaks.

Can use a short ss threaded j-hook and wingnut if the battery block's hold down u-clip breaks years later.
    The tray pictured is great. If only other old cars had trays like that.
    Many have a nut and bolt, the worse combo to remove years later.

Default Arctic conditions are back

1st big winter storm of 2024 arrived. Back and forth rain and snow since 2p. Was 36F, 40F now.
    6"+ of very heavy wet snow on car. Storm paused for now.
    Must have been a power cut over nite. Had to reset alarm clock and TV menu times.

Will have to remove all snow off car else it will turn into a ice brick. Days of zero predicted next week.
    Should have used the nylon car cover was not able to get out there in time.
    Snow slides off the nylon easily. Usually able to peel cover off the car if it freezes a bit.
    Is better than the 100.00 Covercraft like cover that would get soaked, freeze solid to the car, and rip.
    Plastic tarps work fine but take time to bungee down a certain way. Hard to do when windy.
    Nylon cover slips on like a sock over and under bumpers. Has two nice long quick release straps sewn in.

So you look at the car out the window and know 2024 spring equinox is March 20.

Doors should open fine. Smearing silicone paste on door weatherstripping works good.
    Cowl and wipers are covered with nylon w/s size cover and magnets so it wont flap in the wind.
    On board battery charger should keep the battery warm and charged enough for starts.

Car has had its share of snow slushy drives in the 80's. Getting temp stuck and timely free help pushing it out.
    Never got stranded.
    Worse is driving down an unplowed frozen ice rutted one track city side street and another car coming in the same track.
    No where to pull over without grounding out and a chance of under car damage.
    Slush pack buildup from the wheels and salt spray really did a number years later causing rust out damage.
    Slush never thawed for weeks unless removed at the coin car wash.
    Used to rinse it with wax selection that froze to the paint in a few minutes and kept down salt spray sticking to paint.

Really haven't touched the mustangs in a few months up until yesterday. I took the tach out of the pace car (v8 swapped former turbo car) and started probing around with a meter. I was following an old write-up about modifying the 8k rpm tach to work with a v8. I had already purchased a pack of resistors. I removed the factory resistor, swapped in a new one, and adjusted the trimmer pot. Reinstalled the cluster to try it out and it looks like it worked!

I'll have to remove it again, put a drop of glue on the trimmer to keep it from moving under vibration, and then reinstall everything for good. I've been using a big aftermarket tach. This will be much better. I plan to do the same to my 79 cobra.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

"Really haven't touched the mustangs"..
    My car and truck have 1' of frozen snow on them. Figure start and warm them up try to break the ice bond on the sheet metal.
    Predicted 0F-20F with wind all week here. Any big thaw ain't a gonna happen soon enough.
    Add frozen snow dam at curb, from street plowing, temp blocking both in. A Tuesday project.

How is the heat working out in that fabulous new garage?
    Hung out in my packed 10' x 12' shed Saturday. Has floor, insulated walls with drywall, 20a sub panel, outlets.
    One LED light strip works good. Have heater hanging 4' off floor to warm up hands.
    3'x3' of floor space is reserved to work on, say, the trusty old Jacobson 17" gas snowblower.
    Heater is portable. Works great with 5' tall camping lantern tripod.

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    "Really haven't touched the mustangs"..
    My car and truck have 1' of frozen snow on them. Figure start and warm them up try to break the ice bond on the sheet metal.
    Predicted 0F-20F with wind all week here. Any big thaw ain't a gonna happen soon enough.
    Add frozen snow dam at curb, from street plowing, temp blocking both in. A Tuesday project.

How is the heat working out in that fabulous new garage?
    Hung out in my packed 10' x 12' shed Saturday. Has floor, insulated walls with drywall, 20a sub panel, outlets.
    One LED light strip works good. Have heater hanging 4' off floor to warm up hands.
    3'x3' of floor space is reserved to work on, say, the trusty old Jacobson 17" gas snowblower.
    Heater is portable. Works great with 5' tall camping lantern tripod.
    Heat works fine. A little on the spendy side, when it's this cold out. Luckily, my 2 electric heaters will heat it up literally within about 10 minutes (865 sq ft with 13 1/2 foot ceiling toward the center). I have 3 fox mustangs in there, 2 motorcycles, several engines and transmissions and a ton of parts and tools. Ashamed to say it is so packed that I can barely get around. I've been busy with work and weather hasn't been great, so just a bunch of excuses for me to avoid it altogether. I'm taking a couple vacation days this week so I can get things situated.

I could really appreciate a small setup like yours! On bitter cold days, I could bring smaller projects in so I don't have to heat the big garage. I've been working on some home projects, including a piece of furniture in the attached garage. It's about half the size of the shop and has one ceiling-hung electric heater (like the other two in the shop). The attached garage isn't insulated nearly as well, so that one heater works overtime on days like this.
    Last edited by Broncojunkie; 01-16-2024 at 01:02 AM.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

Default staying warmer

The heater on low is plenty in the shed. On high, heat is felt 5' feet away. 120v 750w/1500w.
    Used to bring a camping stand with hook and that heater with me to work. Portable warehouse fireplace.

Heater works good outside on a dry winter day if stuck working on a battery, belts, brake pads, or radiator in the cold.
    Cuts down on having to take big gloves on and off instead can use light weight cloth gloves or latex.
    Wearing gloves protect from grime and scrape cuts not felt right away in the cold. The cut count when washing hands.

Never ending finding ways to keep hands warm/dry at least an hour when removing snow and ice in bitter cold.
    Warm up breaks inside are fine except cause outside work time to last 2x long. Light up an outside fire pit?
    Ski or snowmobile mittens or heated liners for canvas gloves on the list. A Zippo hand warmer will do for now.
    Noted Carhartt gloves have nose wipers. Different tasks different gloves.

Bro-in -law had a new 2.5 car garage, insulated drywall. top loading firebox and stack in a corner. 3 pieces of wood filled it.
    So much heat once hot, had to hit the big door opener every hour let heat out, fresh air in.
    Smoked the place up every time lid was opened to add wood or check on the burn. Kept the beer outside.
    Wood burners and fireplaces are gold when power goes out.

Kerosene and propane torpedo or tank top style work ok but air gets stale kind of fast.

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    Are there any expected drivability changes for removing the smog pump and accessories?
    The only thing that comes to mind is you don't want to remove the air pump if you still have the original catalytic converters. The rear cats require the extra air in order to complete their catalyzing process. Without the extra air, they can eventually become clogged. That would definitely cause a driveability issue...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast